What did you have for dinner tonight?

Mick Doobie

Resist We Much
I used to love to cook. More and more it just seems to be a chore. Even the thought of eating. I mean, of course we must eat to live. But the seemingly never ending, "what're we going to eat?", "what're you going to eat?".... eat eat eat eat......just shoot me in the dang dangit head and get it over with.

Didn't feel like cooking. It's Sunday and I just didn't feel like doing anything. Besides, I was a little hungover because I got 'bout fucked up as a football bat last night. Easy no fuss no muss.....I had Campbell's Chunky Soup, "Pub Style Chicken Pot Pie". Ate it sttraight out of the pan I used to heat it. Fewer dishes to wash. I'm a thinker! It sucked. Watery. I ate it with Cheez-It crackers, threw some in. Yay, Cheez-It crackers to the rescue. It still sucked.

Let's make this a happy thread with lots of participation, shall we? What'd you eat for dinner. It doesn't necessarily have to be dinner. Or we could stick to dinner, see how this one goes, and if a smashing success I could start a "What did you eat for lunch today?" thread. Awesome, so let's get started.

Last night was supermarket cooked chicken drumsticks, bit of salad, a small Melton Mowbury pork pie and Uncle Bens spicy Mexican rice.

I like cooking but admit it can be a chore.

Tonight Brussel sprouts, mash potato, steak and gravy.

Uncle Ben's? 😲 I thought they canceled Uncle Ben's rice because racism?

Oops!...did I go there? It's certainly not my intention to politicize everything. Then again I don't have to, do I?

"Melton Mowbury pork pie", that sounds interesting. I mean, heck, almost anything with the word pie in it can't be all bad. What is it?

I don't mean to cause controversy, but I looked it up on the innernetz and apparently it's "Melton Mowbray Pork Pie", not Mowbury. Included in the description, "Every Englishman knows that the finest pork pies come from the pretty Leicestershire town of Melton Mowbray." Every Englishman, it says, so how could you not know that, Orson?...assuming Orson is indeed your real name.

Given the controversy, my only wish now is that the thread is not utterly ruined and destined for lock down.

Edit: Description also says "best eaten cold or at room temperature". Blimey, say it ain't so, cold pork pie? On the plus side, the pastry crust is made with lard.....which i'm sure we can all agree is awesome.

Last edited:
Yeah Uncle Bens became Bens. I call it what I know it as. I only buy it rarely anyway now.

Pork Pie is typically English. It is minced pork meat and fat inside a thick pastry made with lard (animal fat) instead of butter/marg. Then they inject geletine into the pie to hold meat in place as no gravy. Melton Mowbray is a place in England where they were known to be made. A Gala pork pie is the best in my opinion which is made of 50% pork meat and 50% spam and has a boiled egg in the middle of it.

I am British. Orson is after the great man of radio and television. I thought apt when joining forum. Nothing controversial. My spelling is attrocious.:-)

Yeah Uncle Bens became Bens. I call it what I know it as. I only buy it rarely anyway now.

Pork Pie is typically English. It is minced pork meat and fat inside a thick pastry made with lard (animal fat) instead of butter/marg. Then they inject geletine into the pie to hold meat in place as no gravy. Melton Mowbray is a place in England where they were known to be made. A Gala pork pie is the best in my opinion which is made of 50% pork meat and 50% spam and has a boiled egg in the middle of it.

I am British. Orson is after the great man of radio and television. I thought apt when joining forum. Nothing controversial. My spelling is attrocious.:-)

I made edits above which may or may not have added/reducted controversy.

A boiled egg in the middle? Dang, do they boil the egg before they put it in there? Well of course they do, silly me. A boiled and then baked egg. That poor, poor egg. 🥺

Orson said:
I am British. Orson is after the great man of radio and television. I thought apt when joining forum.

mm hm, a likely story. You didn't think I was on to you, did you.

Well, I guess we've exhausted the subject, for now. I guess there just isn't that much to say about tonight's dinner except I had sucky canned soup eaten directly from the pan in which it was heated......while Orson was eating Pork Pie from the pretty little town of Melton Mowbray, market cooked(well I would certainly hope so!) chicken drumsticks, salad, and Uncle Ben's racey Mexican rice. Spicy! What am I saying, I meant to say spicy, not racey.

What the heck, I just noticed, that was last night. Tonight is steak n gravy, mash and brussel sprouts. Well fuck me.

Oh well. I guess we'll see you tomorrow night when we can have another lively discussion, "What did you have for dinner tonight." To good health, my fine Sir.

Oh believe me Mick we are not extravagant in any way. Its just that most of the time 99% I always do my own cooking and try to eat proper. That steak will only be a half pounder split between 2.

Soup is great I even make own own soup. Easiest thing in the world and them supermarket cooked chicken drumsticks make great soup as well. Chicken & mushroom/leek/vegetable.:-)

We have great home cooking restaurants in our area. Pre covid: A pitcher of Yuengling, a side of wings, and two triple decker sandwiches $16. It's gone up dramatically because of covid and the logistics shortage. But, still fairly cheap.

We have a place that Mon - Fri from 8am - 11am: 2 eggs, homefries (absolutely delicious), and toast 99 cents. I usually get sausage or bacon, and with coffee for 2 people $6. We're talking fresh eggs, homemade bread, and huge sausage. Food in our area is great, and Karen has always been an excellent cook. I've eaten well most of my life, and I'm not a fat slob, which is a plus.

We have great home cooking restaurants in our area. Pre covid: A pitcher of Yuengling, a side of wings, and two triple decker sandwiches $16. It's gone up dramatically because of covid and the logistics shortage. But, still fairly cheap.

We have a place that Mon - Fri from 8am - 11am: 2 eggs, homefries (absolutely delicious), and toast 99 cents. I usually get sausage or bacon, and with coffee for 2 people $6. We're talking fresh eggs, homemade bread, and huge sausage. Food in our area is great, and Karen has always been an excellent cook. I've eaten well most of my life, and I'm not a fat slob, which is a plus.
I would hope so. I don't fancy old ones.:thumbs up:

Let's try to keep this thread strictly on topic, dinner. It's going to be awesome, and might just be beneficial in keeping people mindful of what and how they eat. Might encourage some heathen slob to put his soup in a damn bowl like most normal folk instead of eating it out of the pot. Some people, know what i'm saying? :facepalm:

Reactions: TAE
I like to cook, which is a good thing because I like to eat!

I had some leftover brisket from the 18 pounder that I smoked a bit ago. Some went to a tailgate, some into the freezer. Then yesterday afternoon, I made my mom's BBQ, which is basically hamburger, onions, celery, and the secret ingredient... Open Pit BBQ sauce. She used to make it every Christmas, and lots of birthdays.

A week ago, I roasted a turkey breast. For thanksgiving, I'm making the mac and cheese, green beans, and probably a cherry pie.

About the only thing I don't do is to deep fry anything. That leaves out fried chicken, french fries, and other such goodies. There are some good local restaurants that can fill that craving.

As for Pork Pie.... I'll take a pass. I'm not a fan of pot pie, so I'm guessing that wouldn't be much better. Please put some fruit in my pie crust.

Last night for me and the wife was grilled mahi mahi, oven-baked sweet potato fries, and oven-baked asparagus. The kids had Totino's pizza. They normally eat dinner with us, but our son wasn't feeling well yesterday, so he played the "but I don't feel well" card. Then, of course, if he gets to eat pizza, our daughter has to as well. :)

As for Pork Pie.... I'll take a pass. I'm not a fan of pot pie, so I'm guessing that wouldn't be much better. Please put some fruit in my pie crust.

It's totally different Rich. A pork pie is a cold dish. It is a cooked meat in a heavy type of pastry that is made with lard. I think you may call it tallow? It is more about the meat but the pastry and meat off set each other. The meat is a solid lump and not floating about in pieces awash in gravy. So you have a solid lump of meat which can be sliced inside the dense pastry. Solid gelatin fills the gaps inside the pie when it has cooled.

It is baked openly in the oven and left to go cold.

I had one cup of grits and one plant-based breakfast sausage patty.

I had to make the switch to a vegetarian diet 16 years ago and that pretty much necessitated preparing my own meals; giving up fast foods and delis.

It's totally different Rich. A pork pie is a cold dish. It is a cooked meat in a heavy type of pastry that is made with lard. I think you may call it tallow? It is more about the meat but the pastry and meat off set each other. The meat is a solid lump and not floating about in pieces awash in gravy. So you have a solid lump of meat which can be sliced inside the dense pastry. Solid gelatin fills the gaps inside the pie when it has cooled.

It is baked openly in the oven and left to go cold.

I'm not going to look it up, but i'm pretty sure tallow is beef fat, similar to pork lard.

I'm eating Domino's pizza. Pepperoni, mushroom, and onion. I ordered the Brooklyn style crust. I wouldn't say it hits the mark for New York pizza, but it's not bad.....and easy. $7.99 for a 14" large 3 topping. $2 more and you can get the X-Lg 16". To get the deal you have to pick up in store, which i don't mind. I hate waiting an hour for delivery from a half mile away. Also drinking a Dr Pepper. I try to keep it maxed at one soft drink a day, if that. I don't need the diabeetus.

Last night was pork baby back ribs cooked low and slow. Side of avocado.

Nice. On the grill? Smoker? Total time barebacked, or part of the time wrapped in foil?

The wife ordered dinner (door dash) from some smokehouse type joint the other night. I often make my own BBQ sauce when i'm cooking, but the sauce that came with that order was pretty damn good. Thick, obviously spiked pretty good with molasses. But the kicker, or at least i'm pretty sure, strong black coffee. I've heard of black coffee spiked BBQ sauce, but not sure until now if i've ever had any, or would even care for it. I'll have to experiment next time I make a sauce.

A boiled egg in the middle? Dang, do they boil the egg before they put it in there? Well of course they do, silly me. A boiled and then baked egg. That poor, poor egg. 🥺
The Italians (or Italian-Americans?) have a dish called Braciole. It’s essentially a breaded flank steak, fried, then rolled around a hard boiled egg, tied with string, and then simmered for hours in a tomato sauce until the meat is near falling apart. Talk about poor eggs…

Btw, not all recipes call for the egg.

Back