Ways to pay off your studio?

HAWLK

Computer studios are very expencive and im interested to find out the best ways to make it pay for it self.

If you have any ideas reply to this msg.

There was a good one using Kareokie posted by Peter Ochello.

[This message has been edited by HAWLK (edited 09-19-1999).]

Thanks for the compliment.....here are a couple other ideas if you liked my first one.

1. Use your studio to sample sounds. If there is a theatre in your area they often
need sounds/sound effects for plays. Radio stations need both music and sounds
for commercials.

2. If you are a musician, your studio offers a great place for beginner lessons.
You can use your studio to record the student , allowing them to hear the
areas they need to work on. It's like an "audio chalkboard".

3. Then there's the obvious. Record other people in your studio once you feel
you've reached that level. If your studio is like mine, you won't have sound rooms,
listening rooms, isolation booths, etc... You may not even have a studio, just a
computer in the corner. This makes it tough to record bands. I never take on those
kinds of jobs. I strictly do one and two piece things. The smaller the better.

4. Finally, I just got asked to do an audio book. A female fiction writer asked if
I could record her reading her book and put some music and effects in certain spots.
Then burn it to CD for her to have run off.

Just some thoughts.....good luck....

Sometimes I use Sound Forge w/noise reduction and vinal restoration to restore old recordings on records and tapes. You can clean up some audio and enhance it. Even clicks in records can be reduces or silenced, provided that they are not scratched. Once the material is as close to new as posible, I then burn them a copy.
(You have to make sure that you are not violating any copywright laws when doing this.)

Peter Ochello,

Can the ideas you gave work in a small rural area? Do you or anyone else have any other ideas for an area such as this? Thanks in advance for the input.

KAM

Hawlk, I have not done this myself, but an engineer I went to school with supported himself (and his studio) by affiliating himself with several churches, and doing sundry audio work for them. He was very busy before holiday's micing sanctuarys for choir performances and sermons. He also did dubbing work, mixing, mastering - you name it.

Of course, this means that you may have to sit through more than a few sermons ;) but the churches provided steady work and paid fast.

Easiest way I've found up to date is to invest 20,000$ of loans into it, quickly record a 12-song demo with 20 songs to spare, buy a plane ticket to LA with what's left of the loan and pitch it to an A&R guy.
No news yet, but I'm optimistic.

Hi KAM,
Sorry to get back to the board so late. It's been a busy couple of weeks.
To answer your question, yes, the ideas will work in rural areas.
I live in Meridian, Mississippi and it's a pretty small town. I'll be sure to write
back if I come up with any more ideas. I do like the church idea mentioned by
Audioforgery. I have been involved with a play, My Fair Lady, at the local theatre
and this situation has come up. A couple of the other actors in the play heard that
I had a project studio. Word got out pretty fast and now I have two appointments
set up to record a couple of church groups. Another guy was a writer and asked if
I could do some demo work for him. So, you see....things can pop up anywhere.
Keep your eyes and ears open and mention (brag) about your studio as much as
you can! good luck......pete o

Hi KAM,
Sorry to get back to the board so late. It's been a busy couple of weeks.
To answer your question, yes, the ideas will work in rural areas.
I live in Meridian, Mississippi and it's a pretty small town. I'll be sure to write
back if I come up with any more ideas. I do like the church idea mentioned by
Audioforgery. I have been involved with a play, My Fair Lady, at the local theatre
and this situation has come up. A couple of the other actors in the play heard that
I had a project studio. Word got out pretty fast and now I have two appointments
set up to record a couple of church groups. Another guy was a writer and asked if
I could do some demo work for him. So, you see....things can pop up anywhere.
Keep your eyes and ears open and mention (brag) about your studio as much as
you can! good luck......pete o

TOTALLY UNRELATED
One of my best friends used to be a cop in Merridean, MS. Wow! Small world! :)

Well, its great to see so many msg's.
I havn't been on in a while but Peter Ochello about your first idea how do you first get yourself known amongst theaters and clubs, let people know you are there.

HAWLK

I usually find out when the rehearsals are and try out for a part. The smaller
theatres are always looking for volunteers and such to work on sound and props and things. There's usually a foot in the door opportunity there somewhere.

I just had an idea,
What if you where able to do audio applications/adds/instore recordings/phone hold recordings for big company. It would be amazing and you could get your name around as well.
But how do you the job at large coumpany, if someone can give me a hand here it would be great.
thanx,

Here's how you get the big company work:

1) find out what division handles the audios;
2) Get a contact name, call and request to be included on the "invitation to bid" list of contractors;
3) if you do get on the list, and win the bid, you will be expected to deliver the services promised - so be careful what you promise.

Good Luck!

Thats a good idea, now i only need to find out which companies need which services.
Exelent....

I hope this discussion is helping people with their budget.

[This message has been edited by HAWLK (edited 11-27-1999).]

Back