Tucci's first song ever using "Distortion".....oooo

Tucci

For my second mp3 post ever I went with a song called "Mister Chamelion". This is the first and only song I have ever recorded using distorted guitar(so far).
www.idrive.com

Go to: "Visit an Idrive" and type in "Tucci"

The song is in the "Web" folder.

I had a stuffed up dose(still have one) when I recorded the vocals for this sog so the ebs might sound funny.

Anyway, this one should have less hiss than my first post. After Doc told me the hiss spoiled my last one I tried hard even though the song was already recorded. I went straight from my 424 to the encoder. I still have to find a free encoder that will record at 128kbps. THis one is at 96.

Let me know what you think. Are my vocals bland on this one? Are the lyrics too weird? I think I didn't change my expression enough. Also let me know what you think of the guitar. I haven't played much electric guitar(just started a few months ago when one was given to me)and I would be interested to hear what some experienced people think.

All criticism and pointers are looked forward to very much.

Tucci

I didn't like the electric guitar on this. It seemed almost washed out until the very end.
The hiss was less noticeable. But the tune didn't grab me like WaitSee. The whole thing was way too weird. But that's a GOOD thing. Without artists with the courage to record something that sounds way too weird, there would never have been a Captain Beefheart. BTW- at CDNOW they have an MPEG sample of all 45 tunes on his two disc anthology "Dust Blows Forward".

Well, I guess I downloaded the wrong song. I d/l waitandsee. I think the song is very good. Reminds me a lot of some of the early Cream stuff, Jack Bruce in particuliar for the vocal. The Hiss is a bit out of hand, are you using DBX or some type of noise reduction? BTW what type of mic were you using for the vocals, I like the sound you got. Really cool, very 60ish style, not easy to do well.

I thought "Mister Chamelion" might be a bit weird. I guess I won't try to make a ht out of this one. The guitar does sound washed out on the mp3 file but it didn't on my 424, I wonder why. I probably just need to mix down differently. Thanks for having a listen drstawl. I think you'll like the next tune I am planning on posting better.

Thanks for checking out "waitsee" Emeric. I think I know what I did wrong as far as the hiss goes. One of the problems was that there were five miked tracks and I did some bouncing. I used the same mic for everything.

If you liked the sound of the vocals that is cool because I used a fifty dollar Shure 12HA or something like that. I just sang some harmony with myself and tried to eq it so that it sounded good.

Thanks for listnening

Tucci

I liked "Wait see " better...but I personally disagree with the doc on the guitar end...For me, I would rather have the acoustic sound be less forward in the mix and the distorted guitar be a up a little more....I realize you were probably jamming on the electric, and meant for chromatic sorta sounds to happen occassionally, but remember that if the sounds aren't repeated exactly the same a couple of times, chromatics can sound like fingering mistakes...it's hard for the listener to appreciate the value of near-disonance or chromatics without repetition...you might wanna listen to this song thru a lot of different speakers at different volumes, and see if you can hear things you maybe hadn't heard before, both pro and con...above all, keep writing and playing.....gibs

Thanks for having a listen gibs. You were right - I didn't repeat anything I played on the electric. Hmm... so if I established my near disonant scale runs by repeating them you think the listener would be able to tune into them a little more. I think I see what you mean. A listener dosen't know the song inside out like I do so they need to hear some hook that their ears can latch onto.

Thanks for the good advice gibs.

Tucci

Back