Tucci's first attempt ever

Tucci

I have been wanting to get involved with this Mp3 forum for quite a while. It is so cool.
It has taken me a lot of time and frustration to try to figure everything out but I think I've finally got it.
www.idrive.com

Go to "visit an idrive" and type in: Tucci

My lone mp3 is in the "Web" folder. It is waitsee.mp3. If this works and someone is actually able to download and listen to my song I am going to be ecstatic.

I am really looking forword to feedback from all you experts. I recorded this on my Tascam424 with a very cheap mic, one acoustic guitar and a very old Yamaha keyboard.

Sock it to me.

Tucci

Tucci, SUCCESS!
The song was haunting, sort of like old Montrose, or Pink Floyd.
soon I'll be posting something, a scary thought, any way keep it up

Tucci,
It worked for me too. I was thinking of some old Cat Stevens songs when I heard yours. I noticed when I listened that the low end seems to be where the song was on the levels when I looked at the indicator using the mp3 player, mine does that too, maybe we should use more higher mids? I will try this weekend myself. I notice on songs from others here that their levels are right in the middle for the most part, and they have great sounding tunes. Real bright and crunchy.
I found a yamaha keyboard in a trashcan a few years ago. I think I'll give it a try someday.
Way to go.
bobbo

interesting tune - nice vocals -
The mix could use a low end cut, it's distorting in places - what did you use to transfer this to PC? You could use something like Goldwave or Cool Edit 96 to help edit this - some noise reduction is certainly in order - also, it may help to increase the bit rate to at least 128kbps.
Overall, good showing for your fist post - fix the low end and noise problems, encode at a higher rate and you'll a pretty good sounding mix.

Tucci, good work! when are we gonna hear the next one? I guess we'll just have to "Wait-n-See" jitteringjim pretty much sumed it up as for as the mix goes, but I liked the tune & keep up the good work!!

Hmmm...quasi Ian Anderson di Jethro Tull, no?Per favore, scusa mi Italiano, ma mi piace molto i voci and la musica anche...accordo con Jitteringjim anche...buono!...gibs

Man, I am walking on air! You guys made my day. Thanks for all the tips.

Yeah I noticed the low end too after I listened to the Mp3 version. My monitors must not be very good.(In fact I know they are not very good).

I actually used an old stereo cassette deck(had to unplug and haul the whole thing downstairs and into the office) plugged directly into the PC and recorded directly with Music Match Jukebox.

A couple questions:

#1 The highest quality I can record with is 96bps unless I purchase an upgrade for like twenty-five bucks. Is there an encoder out there that is free and will record at 128bps and will also encode directly through the line in of my soundcard?

#2 If I record at 128bps will that make the file size substantially larger?

Thanks again for all the input - helps me a lot.

Tucci

Oh yeah, I think my next post will be either "So You Think I'm Weird Eh" or "Mister Chamelion". Both very different from my first one.

I still can't get over how cool it is that you guys whom I've never met and who live miles and miles away from me can listen to the stuff I record in my bedroom and tell me how you like it.

Tucci

That's cool sounding... almost spooky when that keyboard first comes in. Honestly, that keyboard reminds me of playing Legend of Zelda on the old Nintendo with the people in my dorm in college for days in a row and missing all my classes. Of course, that's not true once the song gets going, when the vocal comes in, just those first few notes on the keyboard. I think that's a good thing though, as those are memories of good times... ;). It does have a Pink Floyd type thing going on like others have mentioned, very cool.

Unless you are going for an effect with the beginning, I would try to edit down the empty space before the song starts. There also seems to be pop at the very start of the mp3 file, but that may just be my system doing that. Keep those MP3s coming.

That tape hiss messed up a really nice mix of your Tull/Donovan/Cat Stevens/David Peel stylings. I love the rhythmic flavor going on and the Celtic tones and where your voice sits in the mix. I've got a 424 and I KNOW you can do better than that recording-wise.
Did you have the NR off or something? I've got a Radio Shack microphone from 1980 that my cat partially ate that's quieter than what's on this .mp3 file.
Just keep hanging out on this board. And keep making great music. Get to it!
Check out the TASCAM forum for specifics.

Thanks a lot drstawl for your input. It is really encouraging to know that an experienced guy like you liked the music.

Yeah, I know I can do better with my 424. I have improved my recording technique (thanks to this bbs) since recording that song. My levels were way too low I think and I bounced tracks. I think that is why the hiss is bad. And you bet I am going to stay on this board.

Tucci

(rotflol) actually - I was shooting for "more fun than soccer with an ugly brunette" - but I like your translation better - a little more surreal. :)

I had to pull out my basic Italian text to read gibs' post. Piu spiritoso di calcio con brutto bruna! I never took Italian, by the way. :)

jitteringjim - I haven't taken eye tal-yan either...just picked up enough to get by whilst over there...my translation to Tucci was "hmmm...kinda Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, huh....please, 'scuse my italian, but I like the vocals a lot and the music too....I agree with jitteringjim...Good!" Unless it is totally idiomatic, your phrase translates "more witty of kick with ugly brown"...which would definately make a cool line in a song!...gibs

After three tries I finally was able to down load. Really nice tune man. I also am working with a 424 and this is pretty hissy. It's better to mix it down directly to the computer- it took me quite a while to get comfortable. You can do this with Musicmatch. I don't mind a little hiss at all, but it's a little much here. It sounds like to me you need to record a little hotter. I't hard to do that with really mellow stuff like this, don't let the meters be your final truth use your ears. Also what kind of tape are you using? It can make a big difference as far as hiss is concerned. Fork over the money for TDK SM-60's if you can find them. It's way cool to find somebody that's using a similar range of equipment on this BBS. (those darn digital freaks!!!!) I don't know Jack about soft ware- hell this isn't even my own computer!
Check out my posts in this Forum- see what you think.

Back