🖕

Compressing to mp3 reshuffles the peaks. If your wav file is peaking near 0dBFS, compressing to mp3 will push it over in many places.

Correct. I go through this all the time with Podcasters. Going from mono to stereo and vise versa will also affect the outcome as well for the AES recommended standards for streaming audio. The safest thing to do is after you render, recheck the audio again in the format you are going to distribute it in. A 3 min song is not as bad compared to a 3 hr Podcast.

:eek: oops :p

I took off the limiter and rendered a new 48k 24 bit WAV and then LAME mp3'd and ran loudness meter and now there's only 17 clips! Progress :). Thanks for pointing me in the Orban direction :thumbs up:

You are very welcome. I am going to go play with your audio. I use Reaper and I am going to see what I can do with their soft peak limiter.

EDIT:

OK, this is what I did. I did not use the peak limiter, I simply lowered your LU by 0.5dbs and it gave me a -10.4db with a -0.2 or -0.3dbTP. (I used two meters), with o clips. That is what the pic below represents. The last part of the pic is how I checked the loudness using Reaper. You can listen to your audio here with 0 clips.

View attachment 100362

Last edited:
I thought the rhythm guitars sounded very good. The riff guitar was pretty good too.

The bass had that bouncy ball sound that comes from too much low end and not enough low-mid.

There are good and bad reverbs. A bad reverb will never sound good. Same amount of rev on guitar will not sound as good on drums--typically less for drums. I never use the same rev for different instruments. I use different settings for every instrument.

I hardly noticed any reverb which is probably a good thing. One thing i would like to add is i like that keyboard breakdown but i think the last chord/interval should sustain longer it seems to fade out in an unnatural way.

How attentive sharp! Compliments. :thumbs up:

I wouldn't discover it that quick if not my own project.
I didn't pay attention to it thinking gain/volume level would be guarded from the beginning.

Thanks for the kudos! I learned this from an article I read by the AES. It is the first thing I do now when looking at audio files. Start at the last thing done, then work backwards. The free Orban meter makes it a breeze to check for clipping.

When I rendered it to a WAV in DAW the meters showed zero clipping. That was the 11,500 clips version, too :p

I went through and balanced stuff and added the limiter back in:

Google Drive - Streaming Player - reverbs song clip
(OP link updated as well)

When I converted the WAV to a mp3 there were 6 clips :o

You are now wearing the hat of a Mastering Engineer. If you go back to my post about just reducing the dbs, you should have no problem. I will download your latest version and see what the file tells me. It will be awhile as I am doing my honey do list.

EDIT:

OK, we do not seem to be on the same page. In the example I gave, I LOWERED your dbs. In your last example you RAISED your dbs by 4 or 5. Look at the pic. It now shows your LUFS at a -8. Before I took it to a -13dbs. A -8db is 5dbs louder than a -13dbs and it still shows 17 clips according to Orban as well as Reaper.

View attachment 100386

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post with pictures.

I just Orban'd the mp3 and it shows 7 clips

View attachment 100389

I used the Event Horizon JS Limiter/Clipper in Reaper with a -3.0 threshold and -0.2 ceiling. I just want to make stuff as loud as possible without any noticeable clipping :D

This is sad, but how do I adjust Loudness Units?

Oh, and what Reaper meter are you using? Thanks a ton :) :)

I am at my 2nd house right now using my wife's laptop. I will try and do a video for you on how to get where you need to be. However, there are things I need to do first.

1. Cook my dinner for the week. I am smoking 8lbs of pork and beef.

2. Hack into my neighbors WiFi. (Just playing, I did that last week).

3. Sleep. I have been up for 5 days now and counting.

Back