Those were the days

TalismanRich

But man, you could put the entire Library of Congress on a pair of them... or so they said at the time.

Did anyone see this recent article about some old stuff being decommissioned? A Netflix server from 2013 was recently sold off. Here's what it contained:

SuperMicro motherboard, an Intel Xeon CPU (E5 2650L v2), 64GB of DDR3 RAM, 36 7.2TB Western Digital hard disks (7,200 RPM), six 500GB Micron SSDs, a pair of 750-Watt power supplies, and one quad-port 10-gigabit Ethernet NIC card. In total, the server contains "262TB of raw storage,"

Netflix Cache Server

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I never had a rack or cabinet for my systems. I would usually have a table or cabinet - long and slender like a dining room buffet or server - along one wall and place the amp, tuner and turntable atop that. When I added a multi-band EQ, I'd slip that under the tuner. Any tape or disc units went below.

spantini

COO of me, inc.
As I lived mostly in the suburbs, there were some retail stores in strip malls and large malls which catered to the audiophile home stereo consumer. High-end stuff I couldn't afford. Then came Circuit City - which is where I bought my first real home component system. Since I'm no longer into that stuff, I haven't kept track of where home stereo component retailers might be located. Seems they're mostly, if not all, located online only - no brick & mortar. I've been familiar with Crutchfield for many years and would probably start browsing gear on their site, just to see what's out there these days.

Slouching Raymond

I was told about a hi-fi shop about 5 miles away.
I had a good look at their website. The conclusion was they sold very expensive modern trendy shaped speakers, aimed
at people who want to show off how much money they have to waste.
There was a Sony shop I visited in town a few years back. Today they're gone.