The Celebrity Obituary Thread

Back in the mid 80s when I became a christian, I didn't listen to any music for about 13 months. When I was getting back into it, I started off getting records from the library to see what was worth a listen {my first visit netted me albums by Stanley Clarke, Jean Luc Ponty and Andrae Crouch} and one of the earliest christian pop records I got was BJ's album "Love shines." I taped it initially and eventually I found the actual album and bought it though I cannot for the life of me remember a thing about how I bought it or where or when ~ the kind of thing I can usually recall. I've dug the album for the last 35 years. It's sort of pop-country flavoured MOR but it's got some really lovely songs on it. They carry some humour and what appears on the surface to be cynicism but is actually quite true.
If I was describe him and the songs, it would be "earnest."
If anyone wants to doubt me when I say I have a really wide musical head, I'll just say "listen to Love Shines by BJ Thomas !" Only a fool or someone telling the truth admits to digging that.

Mick, have you ever listened to Kansas' LP "Masque" ?
Hi Grim......not sure I've heard the entire album....but checking the song list I see there's a song called 2 Cents Worth. I hope it's not a song I'd not want to have associated with my sign off. I'll try to listen to it later. My dad always used to use the phrase " my 2 cents worth". I don't know where it came from but he seemed to use it to say it was his opinion only......and he wasn't thinking it was gospel. Might be good for lots of people to think that way about their opinion.

2 cents worth of......my dad was cool.....and was in the US Navy in WW2.

Mick

Grim, what was your introduction to Clarke?
It's his second one, just called "Stanley Clarke". It's the one with the brown cover where he's just standing with the bass and the long scarf and he looks cooler than at any point before or since.1622795506513.png
That album, along with Gil Scott Heron, Brian Jackson and the Midnight Band's
"The first minute of a new day" were my introduction to the jazzier end of music. I have always been impressed by Stanley's versatile touch on that album, doing classical, rocky, funky, balladic and jazzy stuff. His singing is actually lovely on that album, and Bill Connors guitar playing is also really hot when he lets rip on electric which he didn't do much of, mores the pity.

RIP Dusty Hill. The guitarist is the show, the bass is the anchor. Say hi to Chris and John in bassist heaven sir!

Also, in the last week we lost Joey Jorgenson, original drummer for Slipknot and the singer from Metal Church.

Joey Jordison RIP at 46 yrs old, Slipknot founder, drummer, songwriter, ....Billboard #1 and Grammys and more....
Im not a drummer but when you get Signature Series from Pearl and in the charts with the great drummers like Bonham and Pert and many others... I guess that says it all.... my son was into these guys early on and had the posters etc, I recall the toys in the store and it
reminded me somewhat of KISS of the 70's, posters, toys, in the mall.
but having PEARL signature series stuff, PROMARK drum sticks signature series....and Billboard # 1's is pretty amazing.
We dont get a lot of that from Iowa....

Attachments

• SLIPKNOT DRUMMER.png
    SLIPKNOT DRUMMER.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 2
Man....Charlie Watts is gone. He was the quintisential solid......tasteful.....classy......drummer. Understated drumming that never got in the way of the song or the band.....but could not have been done without. RIP

My past is slipping away...one by one....bit by bit.

Mick

Man....Charlie Watts is gone. He was the quintisential solid......tasteful.....classy......drummer. Understated drumming that never got in the way of the song or the band.....but could not have been done without. RIP

My past is slipping away...one by one....bit by bit.

Mick
Mine too, but look at the legacy ! Be positive !!

1629882749624.png
I love the comment by Joan Baez when she heard he'd died; she described him as "a prince among thieves !"
I remember back in the 70s, when I was getting into the Stones, my Uncle's girlfriend said that he reminded her of "Piltdown man" {Charlie, not my uncle}. When I discovered what piltdown man was, I had to laugh. I don't believe in humans evolving from apes, but if I did, he'd be good evidence of a missing link !
I always loved his drumming. I remember being knocked out by his drumming on "Let's spend the night together" and even more so on "We love you." And some of the best drumming from the 60s is him on the end of "Dandelion." Ironically, the greatest piece of drumming on a Rolling Stones song, in my opinion, is that found on "You can't always get what you want."
And it's not him !

Back