Temporary soundproofing (dorm room)

joshwa

There are no practice spaces available at my college, and I want to be able to do my vocalizing and recording in my dorm room. I wondered about strategies for temporarily soundproofing my small (9x12ft) dorm room. My main issue is making sure sound doesn't get out at appreciable levels. No loud drums or guitar or heavy bass... I just want to not bother my suitemates with my vocal exercises. :)

I was thinking about making a removable eggcrate foam 'tent' hanging from the cieling... or something to that effect... any other ideas?

Thanks!
--Josh

maybe...
put some NAILS in the corners of the ceilling of your room*.
tide a ROPE and then hang on some BEDSPRAEDS (coverlet).
maybe it help some.

Eggs cartoons dont work and they are stinky.

try to do it just in a little space and not all the room.

* about 30cm from the wall.

LOL I didn't mean actual eggcrates! I meant eggcrate-style FOAM. You know, the wavy foam mattress pads?

joshwa – Welcome.

If you only knew how many home studios there are that actually have real egg crates on the wall.

Anyway, to stop sound from escaping, you need mass and you need the room to be airtight. Making a tent from heavy cloth, blankets etc. will help a little - especially if you tape the corners so that it's fairly airtight. However, it will deaden the sound a lot in the mid/high range so you will start singing louder in order to make up for the lost reflections and thus perceived volume...and you'll end up with (at least) the same amount of sound leaving the room. If you can discipline yourself to not raise your volume in a dead sound, then the tent idea will work a little. Otherwise, you’ll probably only make it worse.

If the situation gets unbearable, you’ll need to start looking into real room-within-a-room solutions. With a little imagination, you can make something temporary but I wouldn’t bother unless temporary means a couple of years.

Maybe some of the more experienced people here have some magic solution but it’s nothing I’m aware of.

You could practice bagpipes for a few months and then switch to singing. Your neighbors will be relieved.

Cheers

/Ola

Back