Still wearing a watch?

I occasionally wear one if I will want to keep track of the time for any reason, but otherwise want to be completely undistracted by what pulling a phone out of my pocket can do or lead to. I’ve got two battery powered watches - one is 50+ years old. Had a nice one but gave it to my son, who I know never wears it. I’ve got a nice self-winder that was my dad’s I’m likely to sell one of these days, and a couple old wind-up pocket watches, one his and the other his dad’s. Nothing real special but I’ll use one of those when the lights go out if I need to have some sense of time, but I kind of doubt it.

I wear one when I'm "dressing up". Same pretty much goes with my wedding ring. When I'm not wearing a watch my watch wears my wedding ring. At times I do like to know what time it is, but if I was really worried about it I damn sure wouldn't rely upon a phone. I'm not married to a cell phone. Land lines are antiquated, so it's a necessity. But I treat my cell phone just as I did my old land line, some times I'm there, sometimes I'm not.

I can see what analog time is. i see the gears moving...Whats digital time...that 'black monolith' on the circuit board...your coffin. Later man, I win again..

Oh no youre united in your times, we use cel phones? You couldnt be frather apart. They are making a meal out a of you ..

Last edited:
You've got mustard on your shirt.
Land lines are antiquated, so it's a necessity. But I treat my cell phone just as I did my old land line, some times I'm there, sometimes I'm not.

So you do have a landline or no? I have both and though I pay @ $25 a month for the mobile and $45 for the internets we have had our landline FOR FREE for the last 10 or so years using an Obihai adapter (cost @ $60) and google voice ..GV kicks ass. Keeps a phone log, voicemail and you can get text messages...and it's FREE.

I am still working ( I broker stone for countertops to a few folks ) that requires a phone, I have two daughters and 6 grand kids that live close enough that the wife n I can help out when needed and that can be anytime so gotta keep a phone nearby. For all of ya's I encourage the google voice thing you can have one for each gmail account you have they just have to be linked to a mobile phone first, then you port the number to your Obihai and you're golden...you have a free landline with all the bells and whistles.

These times have changed...I carried a beeper back in the day but swore I'd never own one of those dumb ass mobile phones. Then I was forced to in 2000 when I got into sales. Then I swore I'd NEVER own an iPhone from my hate of Apple and their proprietary bullshit..flash forward to the next job in 2007 Ok OK I'll use the iPhone... I am going to meet with one of my suppliers next week. I landed a big customer for us and he bought me a new iPhone 14. Though I have gone through about 5 iterations of them since 2007, other than the one the company bought me in 2007 they've all been a few years old / used...fricking "next years model marketing BS". I ain't paying full pop for their silly "new and improved nonsense. Gotta admit this 14 with all the zippy new camera shit has me intrigued since I plan on doing some more one shot live music video recordings this year...we'll see

Well there goes the neighborhood :laughings: Thanks for the heads up brother Beaky ... I don't use any of their "services" per se...maybe it'll work after the fact, maybe not. I have a few old Vonage units that I have heard tell can be hacked...guess I should start looking for an alternative it has been heaven not getting screwed monthly by the evil telecom mutha suckas..to the tune of $50 to $100 a month...It's been nice to have the luxury of a landline phone for free.... I can keep the old landline number because it is linked / controlled by GV not Obihai. I am sure there will be another way to do this so we can still have actual landline phones in the house ..if not it was good while it lasted. To be honest over the last few years we hardly ever use them other than to get voicemail messages from the various spammers and the utility companies.

And... this is supposed to be our last year of Daylight Saving Time here in Florida. I think I'm gonna like that.
It was at 7:30 am this morning when I was wondering why it was still dark and then I remembered we never set our clocks back.
Now I can't remember which is closer to solar time. I will have to check the zenith to the clocks.
Once again, no such thing as time, only change in the now.

I really don't like jewelry or anything extra hanging on me so when I got my first cell phone I never wore a watch again.

So you do have a landline or no? I have both and though I pay @ $25 a month for the mobile and $45 for the internets we have had our landline FOR FREE for the last 10 or so years using an Obihai adapter (cost @ $60) and google voice ..GV kicks ass. Keeps a phone log, voicemail and you can get text messages...and it's FREE.

I am still working ( I broker stone for countertops to a few folks ) that requires a phone, I have two daughters and 6 grand kids that live close enough that the wife n I can help out when needed and that can be anytime so gotta keep a phone nearby. For all of ya's I encourage the google voice thing you can have one for each gmail account you have they just have to be linked to a mobile phone first, then you port the number to your Obihai and you're golden...you have a free landline with all the bells and whistles.

These times have changed...I carried a beeper back in the day but swore I'd never own one of those dumb ass mobile phones. Then I was forced to in 2000 when I got into sales. Then I swore I'd NEVER own an iPhone from my hate of Apple and their proprietary bullshit..flash forward to the next job in 2007 Ok OK I'll use the iPhone... I am going to meet with one of my suppliers next week. I landed a big customer for us and he bought me a new iPhone 14. Though I have gone through about 5 iterations of them since 2007, other than the one the company bought me in 2007 they've all been a few years old / used...fricking "next years model marketing BS". I ain't paying full pop for their silly "new and improved nonsense. Gotta admit this 14 with all the zippy new camera shit has me intrigued since I plan on doing some more one shot live music video recordings this year...we'll see

Nah, I don't really want a land line. In fact it would be pretty weird to be sitting and hear a land line ringing. Of course it would probably be cordless, but what fun is that. If I had a land line I'd want it hanging on the wall, just so's I could sit on my ass and let 'er ring. If I remember the correctly the last I had a land line it was for the most part entities I didn't give a rat's ass to talk to anyway. I fought the pager thing, I fought the (flip top) cell phone thing, and I fought the smart phone. Hear I am, just like all those I shook my head at, head buried in a phone. But I damn sure ain't getting anymore google this and Google that. I swear it's gotten to the point I can almost think of something and the next thing that happens I'm getting ads for red long john underwear. Not that I think that much about red long john underwear. A bit early, not yet. Soon.

Google?

Reactions: TAE
Back