Starting drum lessons again

I'm an old fart but I think it's a good idea to work on my fundamentals and hopefully gain some new skills.

I want to learn to play jazz properly.

Anybody else taking lessons?
No but I really miss having my kit.

And a house.

And a house with a CBS walled stand-alone studio with floating floor and detached roof studio that I could practice them in any hour of the night 😔

No but I really miss having my kit.

And a house.

And a house with a CBS walled stand-alone studio with floating floor and detached roof studio that I could practice them in any hour of the night 😔
I've read that a drum set is a good test of whether a sound room is built right, if someone with good hearing can only barely detect the sound when a drummer is really going to town on them or can't hear them at all.

My son, now in his 30s revealed that for two years him and his mates were in my studio, late at night, having a great time, and i never knew, sleeping through everything they did! My studio passed the test by keeping the secret. It does explain why things never seemed to be in the right place. It started because he was having drum lessons, and he learned to read. Red Hot Chilli Peppers over and over again moved his kit permanently into the studio. He doesnt play any more but thinks the lessons were really useful.

I'm an old fart but I think it's a good idea to work on my fundamentals and hopefully gain some new skills.

I want to learn to play jazz properly.

Anybody else taking lessons?
Not Really - Occasionally I go to a Guy to get a tune up - less so the older I get - I don’t need tune ups as much - I did take Piano Lessons years ago - and Flute Lessons some time ago - mostly they were to get Hand and Body control basics to circumvent starting any bad habits - and with Flute it was breathing control and to give me a baseline.

I've read that a drum set is a good test of whether a sound room is built right, if someone with good hearing can only barely detect the sound when a drummer is really going to town on them or can't hear them at all.
It is but you’re talking (I think) about something called transmission loss. Loss being a good thing because it stops loud dbls from escaping out into the midnight air. Interior tuning is something a little more important in regard to recording. In that case you are taming frequencies so you can ultimately get them to levels and sounds to the soundesk in their purest forms. And then twist and manipulate the fuck out of those golden pure tracks 😄😄

It is but you’re talking (I think) about something called transmission loss. Loss being a good thing because it stops loud dbls from escaping out into the midnight air. Interior tuning is something a little more important in regard to recording. In that case you are taming frequencies so you can ultimately get them to levels and sounds to the soundesk in their purest forms. And then twist and manipulate the fuck out of those golden pure tracks 😄😄
Bass traps are for pussies! :LOL:

Right I'm talking about sound leaking out of the booth, not what has to be done to the interior. For that really special sound a concrete floor and cinder block walls are what all the big name studios use.

*cough*

Update: I hold the sticks wrong and have developed really sloppy doubles as a result. So..... yeah. I'm fired from "intermediate" and got busted to "beginner."

Also, I know lots of rudiments but didn't know I knew any rudiments.

Also: Jazz is hard

Bass traps are for pussies! :LOL:

Right I'm talking about sound leaking out of the booth, not what has to be done to the interior. For that really special sound a concrete floor and cinder block walls are what all the big name studios use.

*cough*
Bass trap are for corners.

They concrete block walls were GREAT for keeping sound from escaping, even the live kit. I had rigid fiberglass panels inside to tame the acoustics with a concrete floor and wood ceiling. It was pretty awesome, though small.

Update: I hold the sticks wrong and have developed really sloppy doubles as a result. So..... yeah. I'm fired from "intermediate" and got busted to "beginner."

Also, I know lots of rudiments but didn't know I knew any rudiments.

Also: Jazz is hard
I had fun playing but would be at the level just below ‘beginner’. I had the kit sounding real nice, though.

Good on ya, lessons are never a bad thing, for anyone. Many aspects to that I won't prattle on about.

That Danny Carey vid, what a brain worm that has been. You know the one. Crazy awesome. I'm not alone, quite fascinating, I suppose illuminating for some. It's fun, but I am not a drummer, there isn't enough lessons I could take to get anywhere close.

Holding sticks: Danny Carey in that vid, he seems to be holding his sticks "wrong"? He is what amounts to palming the end of the stick, rather than, I don't know, 2/3 maybe 3/5 back from the tip, balancing on the fingers, tip favored. I'd be curious as someone such as I...a neanderthal...what have you learned on that specific technique, holding the stick(s)?

Eh, probably the wrong section of the forum to get too deep into it, just curious.

I will just add, bad habits are hard to break. Sometimes once adopted even harder to acknowledge. You can't correct bad technique, mechanics, without first acknowledging there is perhaps a better and more efficient way. You're doing it wrong. Or is it a matter of your own way, your own technique, or a balance between the two? Musically, of course, that's what it is all about, musicality...unless perhaps we're talking industrial, which I guess in a sense is a rebellion against "musicality". Ever seen those vids on the youtubes hillbilly band or whatever in front of an old barn, an old 50's truck with clickity valves and a bad piston or exhaust laying down the beat? Chitty chitty fuggin bang bang, laying down the beat. Roots, man, industrial roots.

Rambling. Lessons are good, a good valve job might be a show stopper.

*shrug*

I didn't know there was a wrong way to hold sticks. I hold them differently depending on what I'm playing so maybe I need lessons 🙂

Oh em gee. I just sat for a bit of youtubes time and nobody can seem to get away from the brain worm Danny Carey's-Tool's Pneuma. "Classical composer reaction". Mind fuck? He was born in '61, he's older than I!..a damn rarity at times. I like it. Give em hell you old fart!

I hold my sticks using the thumb and first finger and remaining fingers kind of curled/wrapped, first finger maybe 3/5+ down from the tip. It’s probably wrong but what always felt natural. I hold my guitar pick wrong using thumb, first and middle fingers for the same reason, what has always been natural. I’ve searched and found a few other guitarists that hold the pick like me, but just a few.

I’m guessing with Jazz you hold using the drip where the sticks are perpendicular(ish) to your forearms?

Back