Singing review

Nifer-son can sing. I hear it. Potential is there. Technology is there too like Crow said. Keep hope alive.
So as I has dug further into this it is a very small proportion of people who are actually truly completely tone deaf...the statistic I read was less than 2% to 5% according to one school that helps people who have pitch problems they can help a lot of people who were told...you can't sing, you're one of the unlucky ones etc. when they were young..pretty sad shit ....so they are saying if you can pass a pitch sensitivity test then there is hope if you put the work into it.
Here's a link to a pitch test there are many out there on the net ....onthis one take your time and listen to the whole song (there are 26 snippets of tunes some played in tune, some not so much but all very obvious if you can hear pitch)

here's the link to the BBC article than mentions the California school for tone deafness..

Hello,

I've tried to work to improve my singing, can you tell me if it sounds better ? What should I improve ?

(Sorry, I don't have have a big and sophisticated software, so I'm still using Vocaroo!)

https://voca.ro/1aI6HjtEaHbG

By the way, it seems I’m not so tone-deaf :

Capture.JPG

there is a voice there Nifer
At 2.00 in she sings 'put it down', and the note she holds is strong.

The next logical step is to start home recording. Get an interface and Reaper DAW software.

These folks here can set you up and answer questions to get you there.

Last edited:
I got an email asking if I was interested in a new TV programme where old musos get together and form bands. Only requirement is being over a certain age, and musical. They wanted pictures, audio and video - so after this topic, I said yes. My guess is it's a typical media con - where the idea will be to get old fossils and make them play in a rap band, or make an old rocker play jazz, or a take a reggae guy and make him do rock. I guess the idea is to mess them up and make 'em lose their tempers. Even asking for more info for these things crosses you off the list. They'll be looking for a good percentage of people who can't sing or play well, or have quaint personality complaints or simply bad tempers. I wonder if I'll get through?

It's hard to tell someone bad news, but it is not cool to not tell them if not telling puts them in danger or risk. The OP is tone deaf not a little, a lot. Absolutely if she likes singing go ahead and have fun, but to avoid the risk of being laughed at, cringed at I'd encourage her to do it privately or with friends who are also tone deaf or really good, kind friends. It's not quite at fingers scratching the chalk board annoying but it is pretty far off from in tune / key.

She can practice all she wants and absolutely can improve delivery, breathing and presentation but all the practice in the world will not allow her to sing in tune...that's fucked up but that's the hard truth. It's like telling someone to raise their hand when they don't have arms.
I look at it like a person can learn pitch
And worst case, tune down half a step 😁 🤷‍♂️

Hello,

I know it’s been a long time, but I would like to have your opinion on my singing, to see if I have made progress or not, and what I should work on now.

I’m singing “Driving after you” by Katzenjammer : https://voca.ro/16rRA5YppcrK

Thanks for your feedbacks

NIFER-son!

That is 6 months of gains? Nice dedication. You are ready for a DAW. Keep a record of your singing progress.

OK - I'll try. Remember it's just my opinion - but I taught music and performing arts for a very long time and have heard this kind of thing many times.

First thing - the arrangement is simply awful. It's one of those terrible syncopated, mangled messes that robs the song of rhythm and style. This particular song in it's original arrangement drive through with a really string beat. Your plinky plonk piano is a style thankfully rare now - but quite popular for auditions in the 90s/2000's when people would think this a novel and new approach, and they'd do stuff like this for audition. Based on today's standards - a solo piano playing on and off the beat, with pauses and tempo changes is just a barrier to liking it.

Your voice is undeveloped and some of your pitching is good, but the tuning and accuracy of the bigger intervals means you sing the wrong notes quite often. There's no way to judge of you can really sing from this arrangement. Postmodern Jukebox - do not sound like your arrangement - and what is that awful clarinet sound that is playing the original melody in it's normal style - it doesn't fit.

Are you a singer? At the moment, no you are not. You are singing, but you're not a singer ..... yet. I'd seriously book a session with a decent singing teacher who will listen and probably work with you to unlearn a few bad habits, and work on your technique. The basics are there - but those sudden leaps upwards ending on the wrong note are sortable. It is not awful, but the accompaniment is so awful that it takes over. when the piano plays the well known melody in the jerky, unmusical style, you must either sing with the same bizarre rhythms or sing through them - you get close but some parts of the phrasing are too fast and some too slow, but any kind of beat is implied, not real.

whoever thought that was a good arrangement for you to sing to needs a serious talking to. A really good, professional singer would struggle with that piano. It's a bit like when people are learning to play stride piano - they speed up and slow down depending on how many notes they have to squeeze in. Impossible to sing along with.

Your voice is undeveloped and some of your pitching is good, but the tuning and accuracy of the bigger intervals means you sing the wrong notes quite often.
Nifer, what is it you hear when you listen to your voice? Can you hear when you go off pitch?

I dont think you have said more than a sentence or two..

Go , 'Ha Ha Ha' with really short vocalizations. Use the voice to start and stop each Ha in a sharp fashion.

Work on this because, the beginning and endings of each word sung in your recordings is soft. Find your 'breath support' and fix this.

One of the best places to practice singing is the car ride home from work. You have a big rush of energy from the freedom. Use that. Its everyday. Use that. You get stuck in traffic and nothing better to do. Use that. It is private. Use that. Belt it out..

Last edited:
... One of the best places to practice singing is the car ride home from work. You have a big rush of energy from the freedom. Use that. Its everyday. Use that. You get stuck in traffic and nothing better to do. Use that. It is private. Use that. Belt it out..
This is what I do - my apartment neighbors appreciate it, too. Best place for me.

Well you are getting better ...still having a pitch problem on the high notes but in many places you are spot.. Keep on keeping on...BTW you are singing dry ( no reverb) and reverb is a nice effect...I have two daughters who both have really good voices...one is an extrovert and will belt one out ANYWHERE and the other is a shrinking violet who will sing in the background of a choir at best but solo hell no...when she was a teen though when she was in the shower ( REVERB) not knowing we could hear her we were blown away...wow that kid has pipes...because she could hear it and enjoy it privately...so if there is any way you can practice in a hallway or place where you can get a little echo / reverb privately where you have no inhibitions you'll hear the good and the bad a little better ..I think anyway.

First thing - the arrangement is simply awful. It's one of those terrible syncopated, mangled messes that robs the song of rhythm and style.
Yup start with garbage and it's hard to end up with something nice... I think she is singing to a track that vocaroo offers Yes try and find a smoother version and give the same song a run..Also taking a voice class at the local college surely will help you refine your singing.

Back