Singing review

Hey, when I saw Metallica with Kidd Rock in the late 90's. They played an outdoor racetrack in the summer. Everyone had water bottles. It was open floor seating, so they packed in. 1/2 way through stepping on garbage,people got wild and started throwing water bottles on stage. One joker threw a half full one and it squarely clocked Kirk's mic stand. No Sound! He pointed into the crowd and pulled away from the microphone. With his hand raised pointing to the tosser, the guitar solo continued..

Were they invented then? The BBC here went through a phase where they did their flagship music programme with XLR mics with 6” of mic cable cut off, pretending they were radio mics!

Last edited:
i-want-to-believe-ufo.jpg

Of course the Heart video was mimed. I remember watching lots of shows from the 60s and 70s where the drummer never hit a drum, the guitars had no chords and there were instruments playing that weren't on the stage. American Bandstand, Where the Action Is, Kirshner's Rock Concert. Lots of stuff was faked.

That doesn't take away from the fact that Ann Wilson can SING!

Reactions: TAE
Lots of stuff was faked.
Nah........You don't say!

A lot of the stuff I remember from the 70's was sung by others and a group of 'pretty' people stuck in front of the camera as a new band with their first hit.

When you go 'digging' you will be surprised to find out who sung what.

Also what's on record and what can be produced live is totally different. I remember one belter of an 80's singer came to do a concert in my local town a few years back and everybody was very unimpressed with her.

Also I was one of the sad people who sat waiting to watch Live Aid live back in 1985. It is supposed to be a great concert now and watching/listening to the massively edited dvd of same, you would think it was a different concert with different bands at Wembley.

But apart of the endless technical hitches, I remember it went down hill like a rock after Status Quo opened and never recovered until Queen came on. But that's not the 'hype' you hear of certain bands/people.

It wasn't just the singing, I don't think some of them knew what they were supposed to do with the instrument they were holding and then proved that to be oh so true. I also think that concert was the end of a lot of bands/people, because 1 billion people saw that they were actually ....... Crap!!!!!

Back on topic............. As bad as what some of you say she is, our little Nifer doesn't appear to have been heavily produced and her audio edited. What you hear is what is there. Take her back 36 years and put her at Wembley she would have possibly fitted in ok.

Last edited:
The bands that could sing and play well didn’t even bother about miming well. There are some videos of status quo just messing around when not allowed to play. They wanted the public to know. However, some bands were never designed to play live as their sound was manufactured, and was a product, not real. I got the job to do a live recording for one seventies band in the 90s for a comeback. The lead singers voice was not good in a traditional sense in their few hits, character voice would cover it. By the 90s, it was totally shot. The record company listened to the multitrack I recorded and dumped them. She really could not sing, and once the special gravelliness had worn out what she did have, what was left was embarasssing. I’ve still got it somewhere. She was my worst example, but other people still try.

The bands that could sing and play well didn’t even bother about miming well. There are some videos of status quo just messing around when not allowed to play. They wanted the public to know. However, some bands were never designed to play live as their sound was manufactured, and was a product, not real. I got the job to do a live recording for one seventies band in the 90s for a comeback. The lead singers voice was not good in a traditional sense in their few hits, character voice would cover it. By the 90s, it was totally shot. The record company listened to the multitrack I recorded and dumped them. She really could not sing, and once the special gravelliness had worn out what she did have, what was left was embarasssing. I’ve still got it somewhere. She was my worst example, but other people still try.
There's a few doing the rounds now Rob. What makes me laugh is also the hype they put out about now about how big and important they were back in the day.

Truth was they weren't.

Last edited:
Who was it Rob? Can't think of a 70's band with a girlie singer except SQ and she wasn't that good.

How much coke does Tina need before she beats Whitney Houston to the Flash!

man she is having grounding issues..
is the floor electrified..does it hurt?

"Sometimes I think I’m going crazy
Sometimes I do a line, makes me laugh,
Makes me want to take a joy ride
on the high tide . .
Sometimes I’m contemplating suicide"
.....So this is a love song..

Last edited:
That clip is a Scottish singer and the band were very chirpy in the 70s.
It's not Sally Carr is it ? Until you said "Scottish" I was thinking it might be Noosha Fox. Noosha was one of those female singers that sounded so sexy to us teenage boys and it was actually a disappointment to actually see her in the flesh !

It's not Sally Carr is it ? Until you said "Scottish" I was thinking it might be Noosha Fox. Noosha was one of those female singers that sounded so sexy to us teenage boys and it was actually a disappointment to actually see her in the flesh !
GT ......... Noosha Fox was a bloody Aussie cobber. Regards the teenage boy thing........Are you sure that wasn't the stockings and suspenders when she sang Georgina Bailey? Poor Jean Paul. He never knew what he missed out on. 😉

Back