Singing review

I'm not trying to be rude, but you have some serious pitch issues.

Some people seem to have a natural ability to sing. Others need to be taught, just as you would teach someone to touch type or speak a foreign language. You need to get someone to teach you fundamentals... how to sing notes on tune, how to hear yourself singing.

Last edited:
With my ex-music teacher's hat on - Rich is being quite accurate here. There are tuning issues, but it's indicative of something more complex.

Singing in tune means that if somebody plays an A on the piano, and you sing it, it is the same note. Some people just miss, but then detect the clash, and slide up or down to the real note. That means that their hearing allows what's called acuity. Not just singing but things like tuning a guitar. hearing the intervals and knowing when to stop turning, or when you went too far. Some people sing perfectly and repeatedly flat or sharp. In most cases, singing teachers can teach you the techniques to improve tuning. Singing in tune doesn't mean you sound nice or are a good singer. I can sing in tune, but I'm not a singer.

There are some people whose sense of pitch is totally random, and yours, sadly is in this category. You hear when a melody goes up or down, but you cannot follow the steps. Your pitch was out on one note (by a degree that should have made you wince - but didn't. Then the next note went the right way, but missed too, then when the melody went back down you overshot and it lurched along .

Now the hard bit. If you had been one of my students at college I would never have put you on a stage or in a studio knowing the difficulties you face in pitching - AND - rhythm. You have a problem in this area too. You don't sing some phrases fast enough, so you are behind the beat too. I don't know if you can detect this?

The reason I would not have left you to sing like this in public is that you would get a wild response. They'd cheer and clap and encourage you - like they do on TV talent shows, but they are not doing it for the right reasons. You would become a figure of fun, and I cannot let people do that. Of course, maybe you could make that a feature, but I got the distinct impression you've been encouraged to sing for the wrong reasons. It's so bad, and the mistakes so unnoticed that my advice is to get it confirmed by a decent singing teacher near you who can sit you down at a piano and see how bad your sense of pitch really is. That person will decide if it's fiaxable or not, and you need to know. before you try to sing complex songs, just see if you can hit single pitches. Find somebody you trust who is musical play a B sing a B, play a D sing a D, then sing the B again and see if you sing the same note. If you do, there is hope with lots of work, but if you cannot hear B and D are different, then best to find out now.

You sound like you are enjoying it, but it is very difficult to listen to.

Hello,

Can you review my singing ?

It's a cover of "Tainted Love" by Imelda May : https://voca.ro/16oTgEeRd4Gx
Yeah. The other g
Hello,

Hi Nifer, like rich said. Serious pitch issues. I have a daughter 13 years old who sings all day.......out of pitch. Her little sister who is 7 years old nails notes with precision. Really a natural since a very early age. My advice for you is to use what you have and work with it. Like the band Cake. That guy doesn't sing. Rappers get away without good pitch because they are not singing, just giving a short sound. Work that angle. Anthony Keidis of Red Hot Chili Peppers has more style than talent. Singing along with "soul to squeez" or "breaking the girl" is fun. Try that. I cant sing well so my music doesn't involve holding notes, more of a rapid staccato sound. So here is my advice........if you really love music, do not stop! This is art and not science. You will have to work a little harder than those naturally gifted, and develop your own style. There are some cool lines in your song too. Thanks for sharing!!

Hello,

I've never been one for discouraging a person in any artistic pursuit.
But I've never been one for pretending that a horrendous performance is an OK one either. And that was horrendous. Rich was being diplomatically generous when he said you have serious pitch issues. I mean, you do, but there's a difference between having pitch issues but which can be fixed and having pitch issues that are beyond redemption.
A little while ago, we had a debate here about the relative ability of most humans to sing and I said I felt most people can sing. I was very clear and deliberate in using the word 'most'. It would take an overhaul of epic proportions and some seriously hard hard work and dedication on your part for you to join the ranks of that 'most'.
You would basically be learning to do something that you cannot currently do. I'm not going to say you can't do it or will never be able to do because I don't know that. There could genuinely be gold in them thar hills. You have a sufficiently long way to go to cause me to wonder if you're prepared to sweat blood to get there because you're going to need to sweat a lot of it. The payback will have to be worth it to you.
Is it ?
Learning an instrument may be the better option. It's hard to make an in tune instrument sound out of tune.

Tainted Love goes back to 1964 and not to some Irish singer of the 2000's.

Your singing is refreshing.:-)

• Love
Reactions: TAE
Try using the best parts from many takes. Cut and paste it together.
How many words are there in the song ? Does any DAW have that many tracks ?
Needs some work, but it can be
You seem to be missing the point in the attempt to not sound brutal and mean and be encouraging, but almost every note is out of tune, off pitch, however you want to put it. This isn't a case of cut and paste. This is a far more fundamental issue than that and it's one that even 21st century technology can't solve.
Rappers get away without good pitch because they are not singing, just giving a short sound
Rapping is not singing at all so musical pitch is irrelevant in hip hop. Yet, many rappers, even those doing crappy lo~fi messes of sonic ill repute, sound cool. There is a rhythm, style and musicality to their voices. When they talk to you, they sound attractive. The overwhelming majority of rappers I've heard speak have voices that one at least likes hearing, even if one doesn't like the style or genre. Those that sound shitty rapping tend to do so because their rhythmic dexterity and discipline is severely lacking.

Well, that’s a lot better to be honest. It could be fixed too. The rhythmic slips are more minor too. Your voice has a nice tone actually. You’ve been able to pitch better, maybe the less complex backing helped. If you want, post it as two files, voice and backing and well have a go fixing it so hopefully you can hear the difference.

It's awkward to have to critique a performance like this because you don't want to hurt someone's feelings and singing is such a personal thing.
Kind of like telling someone who is 5 feet tall and full grown with aspirations of playing in the NBA that they might want to consider some other options.

I watched some Karaoke a few weeks back and some awesome singers were singing and some awful singers were singing...Both got applause because that is the polite thing to do and there is some admiration in those that can't really sing well going up there in front of strangers and putting it out there..the passion is still there and that's cool.. So you probably won't ever be a super star singer...no worries, neither will 99.9% of the ones that can sing pitch perfect Do your thing if you enjoy it..but it is true as Rich said.. based upon this performance you are tone / pitch challenged and there is really not much you can do to change that. But if you enjoy singing...sing on.

Quit being mean
What did I say that was mean ? We were asked to review some singing. I did that. I wasn't having a snidey laugh at someone's expense ~ that's not my style.
Ok. Am I more convincing on this song : https://voca.ro/1h8ZNpQiGHJn
Practice, practice, practice !
Learn breathing exercises.
Identify different notes and sing them until you can't not hit them.
if you enjoy singing...sing on
I agree ~ if one is just singing to oneself.
The moment there is any kind of performance or public aspect, then it is a duty to work on the voice to be at the very least able to hit the notes so the listener has some idea of what is being sung.
Back in 2017 my family and I were on holiday in Malta and they had almost constant karaoke in the complex we stayed in. I have very few good memories of that holiday because when we were on site, we had to lock ourselves away in our room with the windows shut and it was roastingly hot. It wouldn't have been so bad except that the PA system was loud enough for the sound to reach where our apartment was and of course, pretty much anyone that picks up a mic thinks they've got a voice so wondrous that everyone else deserves to hear the dulcet tones. I don't know if any of the people that sang throughout that week could sing well but they certainly couldn't sing the songs they selected. It didn't matter whether they were kids, women shrieking their heads off or drunken guys thinking they were Telly Savalas crooning "If".......It was such a terrible display and this went on for 8 days and you couldn't complain because, well, people were on holiday, "having a laugh" , it was all good fun, having a good time. I actually upset the receptionist as we were leaving because I said they should do something about the awful karaoke.
What I found interesting was that when we were back in England and people would ask about how the holiday went and I would tell them about how the karaoke was so bad, all day and much of the night for 8 days, every single person said to me "oh come on, it was just fun." Every single one. They might not have thought that if they had to listen to it !
I think if someone with a terrible voice enjoys singing and wants to sing, they should do so and with great gusto. Even if they want to do recordings, they should. But foisting those sounds on the public is another matter and that's where 'fun' becomes an irrelevant concept. No one's asking for operatic or pop star or gospel/soul quality ~ just work on staying in tune. A note a little bit off here and there ? Not a problem for the most part.
Don't give up. Look at Bono
Thing is though, Bono always had a decent voice. His choice of name {Bono Vox} was quite revealing ~ it actually means "good voice." People can and have criticized him for all kinds of things ~ but his singing ability isn't really in question. He's not Leonard Cohen !

When I was a kid in grade school, the nuns would teach us singing by walking around with a pitch pipe. She would hit a note, and we would have to sing that note. If you were off, she would blow the note again. Repeat until you got it. Lots of Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Da in that class. Hear the pipe, listen to your own note. She would do the hand gestures up and down as well. Eventually most of the kids would start hitting them. Then we would get to sing in the choir at church.

Do they still teach music in school anymore? My son did some French Horn in 6th/7th grade, but it was for the after school jazz band.

Reactions: TAE
Back