Say No To Smoke Detectors

I can only take them in doses, Primus, like most stuff, really. Things have changed a lot since the days when you put on an album and at least spun the one side to completion. Now with Youtube and such it's easy to not get stuck in a rut and run the gamut from one end of the music spectrum to the other, and all points in between. It's especially a rich environment where you can be exposed to things you would have never spent the money for the LP, or couldn't have even if you wanted, because it just wasn't available. I mean, stuff like Skip James, who knew? Shid, Robert Johnson, Father of the Blues?...best dust a broom on that mess. Robert Johnson couldn't shine Skip James' shoes. Eh, that might be a bit of an overstatement. In some ways I hate the internet age, or whatever you want to call it. In other ways.....

I can only take them in doses, Primus, like most stuff, really. Things have changed a lot since the days when you put on an album and at least spun the one side to completion. Now with Youtube and such it's easy to not get stuck in a rut and run the gamut from one end of the music spectrum to the other, and all points in between. It's especially a rich environment where you can be exposed to things you would have never spent the money for the LP, or couldn't have even if you wanted, because it just wasn't available. I mean, stuff like Skip James, who knew? Shid, Robert Johnson, Father of the Blues?...best dust a broom on that mess. Robert Johnson couldn't shine Skip James' shoes. Eh, that might be a bit of an overstatement. In some ways I hate the internet age, or whatever you want to call it. In other ways.....
Long ago people in the UK only had one main radio company and that was the BBC. So the only music people heard was what was played on the BBC radio stations. Whether it was intentional or accidental, it controlled what music people were exposed to and also controlled on who the music makers were that ever became successful.

Later newer radio stations sprung up and even some illegally which allowed other bands to flourish when normally they wouldn't have got heard or made a penny.

YouTube is just the latest cog in this process. It allows people to see and hear things that normally wouldn't see the light of day. Now YouTube is trying to control what people are exposed too, maybe for financial and even 'other' reasons?

Something else will come along sooner or later and remove that control. I think this process is only a force for good.........just as it demolished the BBC's stranglehold on stuff up until the early 70's.

Oh, and by the way....I posted that Primus because some of the lyrics reminded me at the time of someone I know very well. "when he's holding court the anecdotes go round and the lager goes down". Self deprecating humor, nobody ever gets it. I guess i'm not very good at it. Man, I got hammered yesterday. Wife away, a rainy dreary day, just stay indoors and rattle the floors. That Primus at Bonnaroo sounds awesome cranked.

Last edited:
Long ago people in the UK only had one main radio company and that was the BBC. So the only music people heard was what was played on the BBC radio stations. Whether it was intentional or accidental, it controlled what music people were exposed to and also controlled on who the music makers were that ever became successful.

Later newer radio stations sprung up and even some illegally which allowed other bands to flourish when normally they wouldn't have got heard or made a penny.

YouTube is just the latest cog in this process. It allows people to see and hear things that normally wouldn't see the light of day. Now YouTube is trying to control what people are exposed too, maybe for financial and even 'other' reasons?

Something else will come along sooner or later and remove that control. I think this process is only a force for good.........just as it demolished the BBC's stranglehold on stuff up until the early 70's.

I don't know if there is a point to another one of my boring anecdotes, but....

A few nights ago I was sitting on the porch chatting with someone on the phone. The subject of ice cream came up, it's not important the context. Ice cream. So i'm talking and the person on the other end interrupts. "Wait, what the fuck, what is that?" What do you mean, I says. "What the hell? I'm hearing the damn ice cream truck!" What?, I says. "Yeah, it's the ice cream truck, I hear it." Ooooh, no that's (the wife's) wind chimes. He thought his cheese might have been slipping off his cracker. Heh.

I wonder what our music listening options will be in another hundred or 2 years? In the head and on demand? I mean not us, obviously, but the poor bastards who have to listen to the whatever I don't even wanna know made available to them at that point. It'll probably have ads too, bwahaha, even those political in nature. Those poor bastards. Hell, at that point it might be world government approved, pure vanilla and/or submit to the collective propaganda. But that's a different discussion. If you hear the ice cream truck, relax, it might just be wind chimes. If it's not, ice cream!

I assume you know about the deal betwixt Youtube and UMG?

Primus was ok, they were best know for their worst song. Thats got a be rough with Claypool's level of talent.
I saw Primus and Jane's Addiction in about '91 or '92 at the Hollywood Palladium. I as a huge fan of both at the time and that place went apeshit. Still one of the more energetic shows I have seen.

I saw Primus and Jane's Addiction in about '91 or '92 at the Hollywood Palladium. I as a huge fan of both at the time and that place went apeshit. Still one of the more energetic shows I have seen.

Was that before or after My Friend Fats was released? Did they do that song? I love that guitar swell, and the chugs that follow. The dream-like(nightmarish?) vocalizations, some trippy shit. My wife loves that song...NOT! I'm surprized I haven't blown a speaker, cranked is where that tune shines, that live version. I have the DVD, Bonnaroo whatever year it was. I'm not a huge Dave Matthews fan, necessarily, but another from that Bonnaroo that shines cranked is Trouble, performed by Dave Matthews "and Friends"....w/ Trey Anastasio, of Phish band. The studio version can't touch it. Early (at least for me) My Morning Jacket also does a few tunes, almost with a bit of a Southern Rock flair. That was back before Jim James went off into the deep with his ethereal bent, which I don't care for.

Does My Friend Fats tapping bass lines sound a bit of a bastardization of Rush's La Villa Strangiato, an amalgamation of the part(s) following the lead break? Maybe it's just me. Les Claypool, Strangiato, indeed. The guy's got a helluva sense of humour, or humor, depending on where you're from. ;)

Was that before or after My Friend Fats was released? Did they do that song?
Way, way before. Right after Sailing the Seas of Cheese I think. I have seen them a lot. I can't remember specifics. And thinking about it I think it was the Beastie Boys and Janes Addiction for the Palladium show I was thinking about. lol.

Are you a fan of the Dead? Or Dead and Co.? I have tickets for the Hollywood bowl on the 29th and 30th of this month. The first time I saw DMB was at a Dead show in Vegas when Jerry was still alive. Before they saw any kind of success. After about half of the set, I was fucking in awe of how great they were. I followed them for a couple of years and they just dropped off my radar. But they are starting to come back into my awareness. Maybe it's a sign.

Way, way before. Right after Sailing the Seas of Cheese I think. I have seen them a lot. I can't remember specifics. And thinking about it I think it was the Beastie Boys and Janes Addiction for the Palladium show I was thinking about. lol.
But I have definitely seen Primus at the Palladium. That show was bonkers, too.

Are you a fan of the Dead? Or Dead and Co.? I have tickets for the Hollywood bowl on the 29th and 30th of this month. The first time I saw DMB was at a Dead show in Vegas when Jerry was still alive. Before they saw any kind of success.
Yes. I saw DMB early in their success too. They played Warehouse, with a complex drum intro. Carter Beauford is incredible and his precusion skills, and cross armed hits, with stick spinning was nothing short of dazzling. Like 94-95? perhaps earlier even.

Last edited:

Are you a fan of the Dead? Or Dead and Co.? I have tickets for the Hollywood bowl on the 29th and 30th of this month. The first time I saw DMB was at a Dead show in Vegas when Jerry was still alive. Before they saw any kind of success. After about half of the set, I was fucking in awe of how great they were. I followed them for a couple of years and they just dropped off my radar. But they are starting to come back into my awareness. Maybe it's a sign.

I'm kind of neutral on The Dead. Was just never exposed to a lot of it, I guess. I mean, I like a lot of what i've heard. Ol' Jerry was a banjo player at one time, yeah? heh Someone I know went to some Dead shows and set up to sell grilled cheese sandwiches. No butter, smeared with mayonnaise. A bit nasty sounding, but hey, mayo is an oil emulsion, so it worked and grilled up nicely. Sold like hotcakes, he said. I told him he should get some sort of little heated brand of Jerry's face, sear Jerry's face on the grilled cheese sandwiches. Double or triple the profits...and framed souvenir Jerry Garcia grilled cheese sandwiches fanning out across the nation. I think they shut him down pretty quickly, the brand thing might have brought on even more heat, heat he wouldn't want.

We were talking about Charlottesville, Va? Though originally from S. Africa, I think?...Dave Matthews started out in Charlottesville, and throughout Virginia. Maybe another sign? DMB, I love watching their drummer, the guy so can play, and looks so much like he is enjoying himself. Big smile nearly the entire time, it's contagious, I find myself smiling. I like the DMB, and should probably like Dave Matthews even more so than I do.....unfortunately he and I share about the same vocal range, so much so that when I play/sing one of his tunes I sound somewhat like I am doing an imitation rather than just doing the song. He's been known to joke about his vocal range, although I guess it has served him well.

You're primarily a bass player? I'd never heard or thought a connection between the tapping Claypool does on My Friend Fats and Rush's La Villa Strangiato until I was listening a couple of days ago. Is it just me, what do you think? The part(s) right after the guitar lead break. I mean, we all whether intentionally or not are influenced by our music heroes, and might borrow a thing or two. Claypool being a bass player, and Geddy Lee...?

I'm kind of neutral on The Dead.
The Dead were one of the best sounding LIVE shows I ever heard. Excellent sound.
.Dave Matthews started out in Charlottesville, He's been known to joke about his vocal range, although I guess it has served him well.
It fits his music well, really well. But I don't think it is that great.

You know who I thought was a knockout vocalist...get this...Griffin from Better Than Ezra circa 97'..bar voice. Great tone, with character and power. Not the best catalog, but strong voice.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember a little of that, I guess "the hits"...."i remember walking through the wet grass...". A bit adolescent, but for a guy firmly in his 30's such as myself at the time it might have had a certain appeal of remembrances of youthful days gone by....though my feet were firmly in the sand at the time, and wouldn't have had it any other way. It was alright. I may or may not have missed the good stuff in the 90's, don't know, I tuned out. After the 80's, cut my hair, shook it off and first played in a 60's cover band, Shadows if I recall correctly, then started playing in country bands, git, slide, and some keys. Country music(al...har har) was the hot draw in the 90's.

A band I did like in the 90's, particularly the vocalist, a band called Live.

Last edited:
Remember Norm McDonald, I think it was probably SNL Weekend Update news...."Coming in at number 2 on the music charts this week, Ezra. At number 1, better than Ezra." Kind of stupid, but funny, the delivery.

That dudes got pipes, but I never saw him in concert...you know, LIVE Live.

That band has one of those names I bet they might would reconsider if given the opportunity. Search engines be like, Live? Live what? Okay here's a bunch of live shit none of which is what you're looking for. Who knew back then, I reckon. Even if you stick "band" behind it, "live band", malfunction. Okay, how about "Live the band". Says Alexa-->"Okay, here's The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by The Band live from The Last Waltz" :facepalm:

Last edited:
The Dead were one of the best sounding LIVE shows I ever heard. Excellent sound.
The Dead were AMAZING live. And HORRIBLE live. It really depended on Jerry and how fucked up Jerry was. The shows were always an experience. But there are some really terrible sounding shows.

Back