Saddest Song EVER

There are many.

I love that song also. I just don't find is as sad as Honey. I don't find any song sadder than that. It's a damn tragedy.

This is a great song, not really sad - sad. But, could be.

They knew how to write songs back then.

Reactions: TAE
Can't quite say if it's the "saddest song ever", but based on actual autobiographical experience of the writer...

There once was a guitar player who had gained for himself some fame and notoriety. Enter onto the stage a damsel of some beauty who possessed a craving to be noticed. The guitar player fell in love with the young maiden, and she to him, or so it would seem. A champion to her, he was. In her desire to be noticed, she made all with ears to listen aware of her relation to the champion, the guitar player, until upon her being noticed her champion was needed no more.

"I dreamed your dream for you and now your dream is real
How can you look at me, as if I was just another one of your deals?"

"Now you just say "Oh, Romeo, yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him"

Poor guy. When his chin wrinkles, pretty devastatingly sad. I guess a lot of us have been a sucker at some point or another.

Last edited:
A song about Van Gogh, who had just a sad life. Sad song all around.

When Don McLean released that way back when, I thought it was one of the most beautiful songs I had ever heard. Really wonderful. Vincent, was the reason for this song:

There are some nice live versions out there, not sure this is live:

I had heard about this story at least 20+ years ago.

I've loved this song since it was released. But, my God is it DEPRESSING.

Yep I have to say that is one of the saddest......

Of course there are ton of em.....but it hits the heartstrings pretty hard.

This one below is pretty moving.

My daughter sang this with me accompanying her on piano at my Mom's funeral....There was not a dry eye in the place...Though my Mom had13 grandkids, they were spread out over 20+ years, When my daughter # 11 came along she had just retired and was able to watch her during the weekdays for first 3 years of her life while my wife and I worked. Add to that, she and my daughter shared the same birthdate, there was just a very special bond between them..

I had prepared my daughter in her early teens of the impending doom of someday Grandma is going to have to leave us. That having such an incredibly close relationship is double edged sword. It was another 15+ years before she passed and my daughter was as ready as she could be...still it sucked really bad...she has an awesome voice and her emotions took the song to another level. It was not recorded but it was solid gold. I know my Mom's spirit got the love vibes on the other side.

Here's the original version by Jewel.

When Don McLean released that way back when, I thought it was one of the most beautiful songs I had ever heard. Really wonderful. Vincent, was the reason for this song:

There are some nice live versions out there, not sure this is live:

I had heard about this story at least 20+ years ago.

Weird I cover both of these songs in my solo act... I guess I'm an Emo dude... ;)
AND I wrote a parody many years ago of the Luka song :oops: 3 in a row that I totally relate to...weird

My name is Puke up
I puked up on the floor
I'm feeling kind of sick
I think I might puke up some more

When I think of what I ate
I guess it was just kind of fate
I knew I shouldn't of eaten that fish
Oh how I wish I hadn't, oh how I wish

My name is Puke up...

My daughter sang this with me accompanying her on piano at my Mom's funeral....There was not a dry eye in the place...Though my Mom had13 grandkids, they were spread out over 20+ years, When my daughter # 11 came along she had just retired and was able to watch her during the weekdays for first 3 years of her life while my wife and I worked. Add to that, she and my daughter shared the same birthdate, there was just a very special bond between them..

I had prepared my daughter in her early teens of the impending doom of someday Grandma is going to have to leave us. That having such an incredibly close relationship is double edged sword. It was another 15+ years before she passed and my daughter was as ready as she could be...still it sucked really bad...she has an awesome voice and her emotions took the song to another level. It was not recorded but it was solid gold. I know my Mom's spirit got the love vibes on the other side.

That's a touching story, TAE. One to which many of us can relate. As folks getting older by the day, prepared or not, there's a world of hurt on the horizon.

'Honey' was the reasdon my wife wouldn't let me cut down a miserable tree in our yard for a couple of decades. We didn't even plant the thing.
Then a disease took out all of that kind in our neighborhood and the association made us take it down.

This is what you'd have to do to me to get me to listen to Jewel.
1629346118680.png

I love female vocalists. Besides the 30s - 60s, Suzi Quatro was really the first straight up rock and roll leather clad female vocalist/bassit (Sherilyn Fenn's aunt). Many greats followed. Joan Jett, Patty Griffin, Lucinda Williams, Sinead O'Connor, Kim Shattuck I LOVE female vocalists/songwriters. Then came the 90s Sarah McLaughlin and Jewel and a few others that are so horrible in every way, shape and form, I thought it was the end of the great female voices. Thankfully women got past them and their CDs are deservedly in every thrift store for a quarter.

• Haha
Back