Roland SRX/SR-JV ponderings........

Cratinus

the newer SRX espansion ROMS seem very appealing...more megs of "sample memory"..etc....but do the newer XV synths TRULY "outclass" the older JV synths??

CASE IN POINT...the Roland SRX "Complete Orchestra" board COMBINES waveforms from the SRJV "Orchestral 1, 2 and Vocal" boards. if i loaded an older JV-1080 with ALL of these boards wouldn't i achieve the same sonic results?? PER THE SPECS i'd have MORE "patches" to choose from. if i used primarily "outboard" effects....would a "loaded" JV1080 be a better buy?? i only ask because a friend is selling a loaded JV1080 for MUCH LESS than i could buy an XV5050 or 5080 WITHOUT any "expansion" boards at all. would there be any "sonic" compromises?? let me know if you have any thoughts on this. thanks.

Cratinus said:
the newer SRX espansion ROMS seem very appealing...more megs of "sample memory"..etc....but do the newer XV synths TRULY "outclass" the older JV synths??

CASE IN POINT...the Roland SRX "Complete Orchestra" board COMBINES waveforms from the SRJV "Orchestral 1, 2 and Vocal" boards. if i loaded an older JV-1080 with ALL of these boards wouldn't i achieve the same sonic results?? PER THE SPECS i'd have MORE "patches" to choose from. if i used primarily "outboard" effects....would a "loaded" JV1080 be a better buy?? i only ask because a friend is selling a loaded JV1080 for MUCH LESS than i could buy an XV5050 or 5080 WITHOUT any "expansion" boards at all. would there be any "sonic" compromises?? let me know if you have any thoughts on this. thanks.

The XV synths have better DACs therefore the waveforms will sound different. Most SRX boards have stereo samples as well - a feature not found on JV/XP synths.

More information:

SRX 1-5 are completely new, and are far superior than the older JV cards in sonic qualities and attributes.

6-9 aren't just rehashes, but newly programmed patches using the older wave forms, and also include a cd-rom for the original presets from those cards.

6-9 is obviously a way for Roland to phase out the older JV cards - let's face it, they've been out for several years, and the JV technology is getting ready to be retired.

My hat's off to Roland for making these patches available for the next generation synth engine, and reprogramming them to better fit the architecture.

They sound fantastic.

-Muzakal

Back