RIP my old friend

60's guy

Had to say goodbye to my old Snapper rear engine riding lawn mower that served me well for 15 years.

Looking at the cost of a replacement blows my mind! $3K to $6K on average and higher for a freakin' riding lawn mower?

I did my best to save her, but it wasn't enough. And in the meantime, fucking squirrels also ate up all of my peaches, but forget that I mentioned that.

Other than riding each others asses here daily, what's your best recommendation for a new riding lawn mower? I'll be 75 years old two weeks from now. It isn't exactly important that I buy a mower that will outlive me. 😀

Had to say goodbye to my old Snapper rear engine riding lawn mower that served me well for 15 years.

Looking at the cost of a replacement blows my mind! $3K to $6K on average and higher for a freakin' riding lawn mower?

I did my best to save her, but it wasn't enough. And in the meantime, fucking squirrels also ate up all of my peaches, but forget that I mentioned that.

Other than riding each others asses here daily, what's your best recommendation for a new riding lawn mower? I'll be 75 years old two weeks from now. It isn't exactly important that I buy a mower that will outlive me. 😀
Damn squirrels and sorry about ole girl. I’d buy a mower that comes with mounted turrets in the front. You could mow grass and shoot squirrels simultaneously.

Buy something American like John Dee….what, strike that. A lot of pro companies like Dixie Chopper for walk behind/ride behind. Not sure if the make a sit down rider.

How much grass/space do you need to mow?
Would you consider electric? I use a Ryobi 40v electric push mower. Love it!

Go used lawnmower, imho.

Thought it was the voles who were decimating my garden, approx 75 plants. Then I caught the groundhogs in there, then they busted through the hoop fence to get at my peaches, peaches and bark. Installed hardware cloth and they dug under.

4 fewer, so far. Get no joy from it, but a line had to be drawn. Might still be voles, you do what you gotta do.

Sorry about your peaches.

Tha
There's bound to be some decent used stuff about for under a grand. Facebook Marketplace is a good place to start. A lot of dealers take trades as well. If you really want new the battery jobs are getting much better in riders as well as push or self-propelled.
Thanks for that, but I never ever buy used cars or lawn mowers.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at new riding mowers at Tractor Supply. A 90+ year old guy (customer) saw me and approached me. I said, "Can you believe that these mowers are selling at 3 times higher than the cost of my first car?". He said, "Yup," And then he went on to tell me that he has been using the same Wheel Horse riding mower for almost 40 years.

Story moral: They don't make em like they used to make em.

Well, you realize by using a gas mower and not electric that you are increasing your carbon footprint on the world by .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 %. I hope you can sleep at night knowing that.
I do realize that, but until people in China, India and elsewhere prove it to everyone that they really do care about the the environment and climate change I can live with my choice of gasoline ⛽️ powered lawn mowers.

And by the way, my friend, that mini Weber grill you recently bought? The charcoal you burn isn't at all that eco friendly either, but I do understand that it's hard to resist the taste of charcoal cooked food....isn't it? Microwaved steak, burgers or hot dogs? Never! 😀

John Deere? Never!!! They moved their manufacturing south of the border. I'll never be seen riding a green machine. Deere and company are toast.
Years ago a longtime friend used to work at a lawn and garden place that sold John Deere. I called him the JD official spokesman - he was a JD fanatic, if it wasn't JD he didn't want to hear about it. He got family and friends discounts on mowers, weed whackers and they were in fact solid. But these days even he's cooled on JD, says they're not like they used to be.

Can't help you on the riding mower - I deliberately have a walk behind and count mowing the yard as part of my cardio - not one of those old-timer rotary blade mowers though, not quite that committed.

Last edited:
I had an old Wheel Horse I purchased from my neighbor. He purchased it in '94 and I was able to get it to last until a couple of years ago. The deck just rusted out. I looked at the new "junk" for $1500-200 and I am like, no way. I found a slightly used "junk" from some rich guy who used it just to tow a leaf vacuum. Half the price. I think if you go on Facebook market place, you can find some real gems out there.

I was looking at the read engine types and I was shocked at how much they go for. You might find another rear engine at an estate sale, but they are hard to find.

I do realize that, but until people in China, India and elsewhere prove it to everyone that they really do care about the the environment and climate change I can live with my choice of gasoline ⛽️ powered lawn mowers.

And by the way, my friend, that mini Weber grill you recently bought? The charcoal you burn isn't at all that eco friendly either, but I do understand that it's hard to resist the taste of charcoal cooked food....isn't it? Microwaved steak, burgers or hot dogs? Never! 😀
Hey skip the microwave and get this...... Knock out of fat!

1719760259678.jpeg

Years ago a longtime friend used to work at a lawn and garden place that sold John Deere. I called him the JD official spokesman - he was a JD fanatic, if it wasn't JD he didn't want to hear about it. He got family and friends discounts on mowers, weed whackers and they were in fact solid. But these days even he's cooled on JD, says they're not like they used to be.

Can't help you on the riding mower - I deliberately have a walk behind and count mowing the yard as part of my cardio - not one of those old-timer rotary blade mowers though, not quite that committed.
I had a neighbor about 10 years ago, he used one of those. Wow, that would be a workout for a sizeable lawn. Lots are about the same size and I use a rider, he did his with a reel mower, no motor, pure push! Damn!

Sorry for your loss man. It's tough losing a good and reliable tool...

I just had about $3000 worth of tools stolen from me at a job. It just breaks my heart. Many of the core bits and grinders I have had for 25 or more years. The old dependable ones that were always there.

Sure, I can replace with cheaper China born products, but it just isn't the same... .

I just had about $3000 worth of tools stolen from me at a job. It just breaks my heart. Many of the core bits and grinders I have had for 25 or more years. The old dependable ones that were always there.

Sure, I can replace with cheaper China born products, but it just isn't the same... .
That's terrible. Hope you had those tools insured.

That's terrible. Hope you had those tools insured.
Yeah, but the $1000 deductible isn't worth the increase I will get from the insurance company by claiming.

It would be one thing if the whole trailer was stolen.

Lesson learned not turning the combo lock codes when trailer was open.

Crack head must have noted that during the day, then returned at night. There were way more expensive tools in there. The easy ones to get in the dark were right in the side door. Hell probably get less that $100 at a pawn shop.... Which I keep looking at with no luck yet.

Again, sorry for your loss too. I feel the pain.

Sorry to hear that, Jimmy. That really sucks.

Back