RIP Jon Lord of Deep Purple

Rick Wright and Jon Lord were the first keyboard players in any kind of music that I ever took notice of. Lord was instrumental {pun both intentional and unintentional} in providing a different angle for me at a time when my musical headspace was entering into a crucial period of flux from which I never recovered.
I remember borrowing "Shades of Deep Purple" and "Fireball" when I was 16 from a friend. They were the first hard rock albums I ever heard. The way Lord approached the organ {and on "Anyone's daughter", the piano} was something of a bucket of ice cold water in the desert for me. I utterly loved his guitar/organ duels with Richie Blackmore. No other heavy band had such a feature; every band had their own particular thaing - this was one of Purple's. Long before I knew anything about them, the music stood on it's own. He really was the leading figure in carving out keyboards in a heavy rock outfit. John Paul Jones was exemplary on the vast array of keyboards he used in Zeppelin, but it's worth noting that he rarely used them on Zep's heavy blasting tracks. Rick Wright, Keith Emmerson, Rick Wakeman and others rarely hit the heavy heights in the same way as Lord. Only maybe the late Vincent Crane played the same heavy organ role. But he never had a Richie Blackmore as a foil.
And make no mistake, Lord was more than a worthy adversary to Blackmore, no mere second fiddle. To me, his solos on stuff like "And the address", "Hush", "Happiness", "Mandrake root", "Help", "Hey Joe", "Fireball", "Demon's eye", "The Mule", "No one came" {for me, the ultimate Purple performance}, "Flight of the rat", "Living wreck", "Hard loving man", "Bloodsucker", "Never before", "You keep on moving" and the MIJ versions of "Highway Star" and "Smoke on the water" stand as some of the most outrageously creative pieces of playing in any genre but especially in the guitar dominated heavy rock world. I never get tired of hearing his eerie-ly haunting sounds. The flavours he brought to Purple's eternal rip off "Child in time" distinguish it from the It's a beautiful day number {"Bombay calling"} it was culled from.
It was a long time before I realized that he shoved his Hammond through a seriously huge Marshall stack. The vibrations of that rig must've been better than any massage. Incidentally, he claims he played piano on the Kinks' "You really got me" although Ray Davies says it was Arthur Greenslade. He also said Jimmy Page played the solo but both Davies' say it was Dave.
Jon Lord was a character. It was generally a joy to catch his interviews because he was so articulate and informative.
I see he died of a pulmonary embolism. That's the same thing my Dad died of. Not a nice way to go, but quick when it arrives.

Deep Purple was a big part of the soundtrack of my youth. Many a night in a smoke filled car with Machine Head on the 8 track have I spent. Yeah, that Hammond through a Marshall was where that signature distortion came from. He really defined the "sound" of a Hammond in rock music for me. That grinding power chord and classical influenced lead lines he came up with grabbed me and pulled me in. They were heavy metel before there was heavy metel.

They were heavy metel before there was heavy metel.
I saw Ian Paice on telly the other week and he was asked the difference between Purple MK1 and MK2. I was interested in his answer because although they got a degree heavier when Ian Gillan and Roger Glover came into the band, I thought the original line up with Rod Evans and Nic Simper was pretty heavy. "Shades of Deep Purple" is packed with heaviness. With Blacmore's guitar, Lord's organ, Simper's pounding bass and Paice's artistry, they couldn't be anything but heavy, even though I feel the metallic tone of Blackmore's guitar was pretty weedy {though in turn, I love everything he plays on the album} and the bands that Simper {Warhorse} and Evans {Captain Beyond} went on to form were as hefty as Purple.
Anyway, Paice said that the difference was that the MK1 was trying to be like Vanilla Fudge, doing heavy interpretations of other people's songs "but in MK2 we were being ourselves". Interesting observation.

Back