Rap lyrics can no longer be used as evidence in California

I've read this, and am completely clueless on what this is about? I'm a Brit so I don't get it - why would rap lyrics be used in court? I'm guessing but is this where the lyrics are either unpleasant or promote bad stuff? Then criminals use the lyrics as an excuse? This seems a bit weird. The article linked to sort of assumes the reader understands what goes on.

I'm old of course, and can't stand rap in any form - and all I hear is bad language and language that when spoked by a white guy would be illegal, but oddly OK for a black guy? Is this what the court thing is about. I'm one of those who have never, and will never use the MF word - I really hate it. As a result, I just won't listen to rap, because a song might be nice and pleasant, but what is the point of writing lyrics that you can't read out loud to your aged granny!

It was a most unhelpful article. It didn't (that I could see) outline what type of cases and how rap was used as evidence.

Maybe this will give a bit of background.

Variety - Young Thug Trial.

Basically, if you are on trial for drug distribution, murder or such, your rap songs that talk about doing such things are not permitted to be used. They are not permissible as an admission, as would be permitted if you had a wiretap and heard the person say "I popped a cap is his ass". It would be tantamount to using Johnny Cash's singing "I shot a man in Reno, Just to watch him die" if he was under indictment for murder.

Rich- cheers I get it now. Sort of using the lyrics as an excuse. Sort of using the eagles lying eyes to excuse your affair in a divorce court?

Back