Putin's Ukraine Mistake

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
So, the reporting that we're getting this morning regarding Putin's most recent comments about the way forward in Ukraine is beyond disturbing. IMO, this just got uncomfortably scary.

I've been following (mostly) the New York Times reporting on this conflict - which has been nothing short of excellent.

I'm not saying anything original or new here - but it is increasingly obvious that this thing is not likely to end well no matter what "the end" looks like. That was widely reported at the outset of this conflict. And the worst case scenario(s) are absolutely horrific to consider.

The guy (Putin) has unbelievable pressure mounting. His claims of how this would go were not correct or even believable at the outset. But now the absurdity of those claims are out in the sunlight on the world stage. He looks like a fool. And, for the moment, he's losing this thing in key areas. And he's got the international community pissed because huge economies are under increasing strain. No doubt, other than the US and our European allies - countries like India and China have got to be tiring of his recklessness. I think he certainly received that message when he recently met with Xi.

And, of course, he's facing mounting pressure from within Russia as well.... popularly, politically.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where a person with his level of ego, pride, bravado, and bluster handles this well and simply "does the right thing" (retreat with his tail between his legs). That's not going to happen.

Which begs the question - where is this headed, how does this thing play out..... how does it end? Like I said - I don't think he's a guy who is simply going to walk home crying with a bloody nose.

It's an odd but very real thing - that "success" for the Ukrainian military and it's allies in the form of kicking Russia's ass makes ALL of us A LOT more in danger.

Last edited:
He needs to bring Trump in to manage this thing for him. He needs a real leader that gets things accomplished. The two of them will get it figured.

In all seriousness, there's no way to predict how this thing is going to end and there's no sense in worrying about it in the mean time.

He needs to bring Trump in to manage this thing for him. He needs a real leader that gets things accomplished. The two of them will get it figured.
It's a good thing that the next presidential election is as far off as it is. I can imagine a scenario where Trump (or Desantis) gets back in there, cuts off aid to Ukraine, renews his buddy-buddy relationship with Putin.... and who knows what would happen then as the US would alienate itself with it's NATO allies - and I assume all kinds of bad things could result.

I’d venture to say we’re being constantly lied to about what’s really going on over there.
How will it end? We don’t have a clue.

I’d venture to say we’re being constantly lied to about what’s really going on over there.
How will it end? We don’t have a clue.
I do not agree that we're being "constantly lied to about what's really going on there".

I also disagree that "we" don't have a clue about how it will end. There are lots of clues leading to a number of possible scenarios.

I do not agree that we're being "constantly lied to about what's really going on there".

I also disagree that "we" don't have a clue about how it will end. There are lots of clues leading to a number of possible scenarios.
We don't know how it is going to end. We can certainly predict the various ways that it will but no one can say for sure which of those ways are accurate.

I agree with your first sentence. Reddit is a helluva place. You can see what's going on. I have a friend that flew there in July for a month to help with "relief". Any of us can go support the "rescue missions".

There isn't a single intelligence agency in the U.S. or other intelligence agencies in any other countries throughout the world that can predict what extremes Putin will resort to in order to restore the map of his "Motherland". He threatens to deploy nuclear weapons upon Ukraine in the midst of his own failed attempt to recruit 300,000 "soldiers" willing to sacrifice their lives for no reason.

It's clear that Putin isn't healthy and he's aware of that, but come he'll or high water he is bound and determined to join the ranks of Lenin and Stalin historically. At best, Putin will amount to a mere footnote of Russian history.

Back