Proper sentence structure...

Oh, I agree. Sesame St was BRILLIANT in the 80's - they just weren't aware of their international impact. It was, afterall, built for domestic use.
Barney - oooh, stomach churning stuff. Tele tubbies - how to take a womble, excise it of humour, remove any language skills & amputate an adequate story line! Mind you I didn't much like wombles either - Mike batts music was cool though.
The A issue REALLY comes out when, as was said, people are being formal: reading a speech, reading a passage out loud etc.
How do you feel about the over emphasis of prefixes?

The Teletubbies are actually the most advanced of the bunch... they just mumble while they're text messaging. Soon there will be no more words, only typed acronyms. Pronunciation will be a non-issue.

Advanced? When in the past there was 40 different variations for such word as "went". Now its all "went" - he went, she went, they went, everything went... So in the future were just going to cut out any kind of descriptive articulation so whatever you say can be understood by anyone to mean anything they want... And you say its most advanced....:rolleyes:

Oh, I agree. Sesame St was BRILLIANT in the 80's - they just weren't aware of their international impact. It was, afterall, built for domestic use.
Barney - oooh, stomach churning stuff. Tele tubbies - how to take a womble, excise it of humour, remove any language skills & amputate an adequate story line! Mind you I didn't much like wombles either - Mike batts music was cool though.
The A issue REALLY comes out when, as was said, people are being formal: reading a speech, reading a passage out loud etc.

Hey, sesame st even works now for kids and non-english speaking people.

Advanced? When in the past there was 40 different variations for such word as "went". Now its all "went" - he went, she went, they went, everything went... So in the future were just going to cut out any kind of descriptive articulation so whatever you say can be understood by anyone to mean anything they want... And you say its most advanced....:rolleyes:
You have no sense of humor.:rolleyes:

And that would be, "...there were 40 different variations for...".:p

You have no sense of humor.:rolleyes:

And that would be, "...there were 40 different variations for...".:p

Humor? Well, I'm told that I have a dry sense of humor...

And weren't people attempting to bash any kind of sentence structure. And since we are on the subject of simplifying language, we don't need past present and future - Chinese don't, why do we need it?

...The A issue REALLY comes out when, as was said, people are being formal: reading a speech, reading a passage out loud etc.
The places I hear all those mannerisms the most are CNN and Fox News. Barbie and Ken Broadcast have been big influences on the general speaking ability of their audiences, I think... using random accentuations of syllables that make the delivery dynamic in raw vocal quality but add no sensible meaning.

Last edited:
catmacro1.jpg

wilko said:
Ah but doesn't that potentially change the meaning, ( I could be wrong here!)?

1) 'He usually walks to the shop - he usually walks, not takes the bus...

2) He walks to the shop, ususally - what does he do? he goes to the shop as opposed to going anywhere else?

The context surrounding the sentence would probably lose any ambiguity though.
Yeah, youre right! I just realised that.
3) 'Ususally he walks...'
I can see where all of them can be read either way.
'He usually walks to the shop' -or Jenni's place. :D

3) 'Ususally he walks...'
I can see where all of them can be read either way.
'He usually walks to the shop' -or Jenni's place. :D

In some languages it wouldn't matter where you place that "usually"... Why do we have to have a simplified complicated language???

Try French with past, present, future, perfect & imperfect tenses in addition to male & female nouns not to mention the interesting construction of a question.
To know English well enough to use it effectively one need only learn the exceptions to the rules, then the rules, then the irregulars whilst concurrently rejecting the nonsense that was/is the Functional Grammar movement that had had, in its efforts to make things clearer, managed to cover things with so much mud that there was a major swing back to traditional grammar.
Oh, IMpress ppl wivout bean OFFensive and speak proper like what I done, so....

As Winston Chuchill once put it:

Please understand that ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I shall not put.

Dr Seuss said:

"I like nonsense - it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope... and that enables you to laugh at all of life's realities."

Back