Paul Kanter died

I hope they have heaven staffed appropriately for the sudden influx of dead rock'n'rollers. Someone's got to decide who goes into what band. They're probably hiring placement officers right now... :laughings:

I have a Jefferson Something something somewhere... I'll tell my GF, she'll be upset, being more of a Jefferson person than I.

I'm a little too young for the Jefferson Airplane to have mattered much in my life. I was listening to the Starship in the early 80s before I learned much about the band's earlier incarnation. Kantner always struck me as the real talent behind both. Grace's voice tends to induce a nails-on-chalkboard response in me, but the accompaniment under Kantner's direction was always right on. RIP.

Nowhere near a near nobody, Jefferson Airplane have 4 wall-to-wall amazing albums I still listen to all the time, and though not JA, Blows Against the Empire gets periodic heavy rotation from me.. then there was his work on David Crosby albums, etc.

There was a lot more to them than "Somebody to Love" and "We Built This City..."

I'm a little too young for the Jefferson Airplane to have mattered much in my life.

I just can't imagine only listening to music that's contemporary to me. Most of my favorite stuff is decades old, often predating me.

Same is true of me, fleet. But the bands that really matter to us, I think, are the ones we latch onto at certain key points in life. It's not just the music but what it meant to us at that point. At some of those times in my life, I was listening to Merle Haggard, Earth Wind and Fire, Zeppelin, the Eagles, Skynyrd, the Talking Heads, Magazine, Elvis Costello, not Jefferson Airplane. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I just can't imagine only listening to music that's contemporary to me. Most of my favorite stuff is decades old, often predating me.

In regards to this and Robus mentioning he was too young for it to matter in his life, I'll throw in my own opinion.

Music is music. It matters not if it is from the 50s, 60s, 90s, current or the 18th century. Good stuff is good stuff.

Only in the last few decades has music turned into a "fashion" thing. As in, one has to listen to only what is currently popular, or should I say currently forced down the throats of the masses.
Terms like "that sounds dated" are thrown around like derogatory statements to belittle that form of music much like women would get ridiculed for wearing "out of date" fashions.

This is a destructive ridiculous concept that only benefits those who are trying to sell you something new.

Back to the Airplane. Paul Kanter was a driving force in that band, and they were pioneers in that psychedelic music genre.

So much music has been derived from that era and the artists in it. They deserve recognition for starting it. (Along with others)

We all know and remember the bigger names like Hendrix, but there are so many other artists of the era that were huge and forever changed music with their contributions.

Musically, all of us are standing on the shoulders of giants, but may never realize it.

Paul and the Airplane were some of those giants.
:D

Last edited:
He was part of the sound track of my youth. Blows Against The Empire is one of my desert island albums.

Now that we are losing someone every other day, who do we think will assume room temperature tomorrow?

Should have been Jorma!
In 2003, my ex mother in law and her boyfriend dragged my ex wife and I to a Hot Tuna concert at the Colonial theater in Keene NH.2 of the most mindnumbingly boring hours I have ever spent. So horrible.
Should have been Jorma!

Back