Overrated.....Underrated....

I think "Live at Leeds" by the Who is kind of overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's quite a good album. But I think it is venerated and given the status of the Pope of live albums. Yes, it's quite good, but it has quite a few boring moments.

While Peter Frampton's live album was overplayed, it was a very good live album. I don't listen to it anymore as it was overplayed, but it was very good. Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan, really good live album and fun to listen too.

I think "Live at Leeds" by the Who is kind of overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's quite a good album. But I think it is venerated and given the status of the Pope of live albums. Yes, it's quite good, but it has quite a few boring moments.
I wore that record out when I was 12. Absolutely loved it. I haven't heard it in a very long time.

If we're goin' live, I wanna throw in Grand Funk Live Album 1970 as underrated. Mostly because it rocks and seems to have disappeared long ago from the radar.

Mel Schacher's bass playing here caused me to hallucinate on weed in 1970. Mel is my hero 😱

While Peter Frampton's live album was overplayed, it was a very good live album. I don't listen to it anymore as it was overplayed, but it was very good. Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan, really good live album and fun to listen too.

While admittedly nostalgic, lots of memories there, I love albums like that from younger days, overplayed....Frampton Comes Alive. On semi rare occasion I might listen to a tune or two off of that album, care taken to not to overdo it. Lines on my Face, All I Wanna Be(is by your side), good tunes. Good album.

Somethings Happening was such a great opening Pop Rock track xxxx

While admittedly nostalgic, lots of memories there, I love albums like that from younger days, overplayed....Frampton Comes Alive. On semi rare occasion I might listen to a tune or two off of that album, care taken to not to overdo it. Lines on my Face, All I Wanna Be(is by your side), good tunes. Good album.
I love Frampton Comes Alive. Great opening track and so many great songs. I used to play "All I want to be is by your side" to my ex on my guitar, she loved that song xxx

People think of Frampton as a pretty boy singer, but he is a brilliant guitar player and composer, so accomplished and well respected as a guitarist xxxx

I watched a documentary with Pete how he created Wont get fooled again. it was really interesting before sequencers and stuff. He used a tape loop with an organ, very innovative for the time to create the sound xxxx

I watched a documentary with Pete how he created Wont get fooled again. it was really interesting before sequencers and stuff. He used a tape loop with an organ, very innovative for the time to create the sound xxxx
Then the rock god Edward just did it all on the guitar. How great was Eddie? RIP my hero. He was very special XXXX

its bad quality but

On problem with such venerated albums is that they have usually been around for 40-50 years and people listen to them and say "what's so great about that". It's like looking at the wheel and saying "Yeah, so what?". But for the first dude who put a couple of round discs on the end of a pole, it was an WOW moment. Likewise, the first time you listened to Live At Leeds back in 1970, it was pretty awesome.

Who today thinks that a light bulb is cool? It's a friggin' LIGHT BULB. There's only a few billion of them out there.....

On problem with such venerated albums is that they have usually been around for 40-50 years and people listen to them and say "what's so great about that". It's like looking at the wheel and saying "Yeah, so what?". But for the first dude who put a couple of round discs on the end of a pole, it was an WOW moment. Likewise, the first time you listened to Live At Leeds back in 1970, it was pretty awesome.

Who today thinks that a light bulb is cool? It's a friggin' LIGHT BULB. There's only a few billion of them out there.....
:thumbs up: Good point!

I love Frampton Comes Alive. Great opening track and so many great songs. I used to play "All I want to be is by your side" to my ex on my guitar, she loved that song xxx

There's a cool Rick Beato vid where he plays the Stairway to Heaven guitar solo as if played by Frampton. Hilarious, yet quite impressive for both Rick and Frampton. Cool vid.

On problem with such venerated albums is that they have usually been around for 40-50 years and people listen to them and say "what's so great about that"
That’s true in many instances and I get it, but I think one also has to look at the respective ages of those commenting and whatever build-up there may have been to them listening to said album or song.
If one of today’s under 30s listened to the 1965 music coming out of Motown, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Kinks, the Byrds and said they thought it was overrated, I’d be inclined to give them a pass because they’ve grown up with and been immersed in music that has progressed from ‘64/’65. For someone that was alive at the time, regardless of the age they were at the time, I’d listen to what they said about the music with a slightly different ear.
For me though, the length of time an album or song has been around doesn’t really matter. I can’t remember when I first heard about “Live at Leeds” {actually, I first heard about it in 1979. It was in a book I have on album covers} but I first heard it in late ‘99 or 2000 and I’ve listened to it loads of times. I’ve heard about it much more since I first heard the album than I ever did beforehand.
It's like looking at the wheel and saying "Yeah, so what?"
Funnily enough, for many years, I’ve been praising the wheel. I still do. When I was doing delivery work, over the 20 years, many times I thought what a great invention it was, when I managed to transport a crazy load on my trolley. Or when a plane I’m on lands.
Likewise, the first time you listened to Live At Leeds back in 1970, it was pretty awesome
If one happened to feel that way. I think it has a lot of stodge. The Who could rock with the best of them, sometimes better than the best of them, actually. But they weren't always that interesting musically when they went off on their long rambles. Cream were, because Bruce and Baker were jazzers at heart so real improvisation {actually creating on the fly} wasn't so hard for them.
Who today thinks that a light bulb is cool?
Umm…:o...me ?
It's a friggin' LIGHT BULB. There's only a few billion of them out there.....
I honestly think they are brilliant. Recently, in the flats I live in, the stairway lights stopped working and trying to find my way down those stairs at 6am in the absolute darkness with ice everywhere was enough to make anyone think of the brilliance of lightbulbs {no pun intended}. But I’d been thinking that for years anyway.
Yo, Bulby !! 💡
If we're goin' live, I wanna throw in Grand Funk Live Album 1970 as underrated. Mostly because it rocks and seems to have disappeared long ago from the radar
I’m with you 100% on that one. I first heard it in ‘81 and I thought it was fantastic. I still do. But it’s never been highly rated in all the time I’ve been aware of it.
Mel Schacher's bass playing here
I always liked his bass playing. He was like the American equivalent to Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath in Funk’s early period. Both very underrated bass guitarists, yet both integral to the sounds their respective bands came up with.

If we're goin' live, I wanna throw in Grand Funk Live Album 1970 as underrated. Mostly because it rocks and seems to have disappeared long ago from the radar.

Mel Schacher's bass playing here caused me to hallucinate on weed in 1970. Mel is my hero 😱
I'm with you on GFR. I think the Live Album is great, the sound is somewhat mediocre to me, but the energy for that show was phenomenal.

Back