Overrated.....Underrated....

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
Soooooo......
Who are those artists, albums or songs that you feel are just completely overrated or whose reputation is out of proportion ? And conversely, which of the same would you say have been underrated in the last 70 or so years ? Why should they have been rated higher ? Or, for that matter, lower ?

I think Cher has been seriously overrated. She was overrated in the 60s, overrated in the 70s and laughably rated in the 80s.
I don't dispute that she can sing, but....

Reactions: RFR
How about Lady GaGa. Overrated and underrated at the same time.

Overrated because she’s basically nuts, way over the top, borderline insane with vapid pop culture antics. maybe even demonic? (You can see I’m not a fan)

Underrated because she actually has real talent. The girl can sing!

Sadly though I think her talent has been hijacked by the music industry overlords

I think Cher has been seriously overrated. She was overrated in the 60s, overrated in the 70s and laughably rated in the 80s.
I don't dispute that she can sing, but....
I agree. Strangely though, my favorite Cher song is Believe with her autotuned vocal. It's a catchy melody and the gimmick works. It appeals to me more than any of her earlier work. However, it's not on any of my playlists.

How about Lady GaGa. Overrated and underrated at the same time.

Overrated because she’s basically nuts, way over the top, borderline insane with vapid pop culture antics. maybe even demonic? (You can see I’m not a fan)

Underrated because she actually has real talent. The girl can sing!

Sadly though I think her talent has been hijacked by the music industry overlords
I thought Stephanie was a vastly terrible overated shitty cod poor mans Maddona... then I heard her singing and playing piano stripped of her costumes and make up .... a bit. She played If I Ever Lose My Faith by Sting and she was like.... bloody hell... she is a star... sounds like Janis here

I thought Stephanie was a vastly terrible overated shitty cod poor mans Maddona... then I heard her singing and playing piano stripped of her costumes and make up .... a bit. She played If I Ever Lose My Faith by Sting and she was like.... bloody hell... she is a star... sounds like Janis here

Good very good

But Aretha is the greatest xxx

I'm going with my obvious. David Bowie and Mick Ronson.

Last night I watched the over two hour documentary Moonage Daydream. I liked the concert footage, the rest was pretty much crap. Bowie has that great way of talking like he's a deep thinker. But, he literally contradicts himself at every corner. He talks over you, not to you. He does it with intentional purpose, in the same way he dressed in his early years. It's something that after he became a superstar (Ziggy), he slipped into sharp men's clothing for the rest of his career. For videos he went out on a limb. But, his stage presence was polished and sleek. He wore it well.

Overrated: Bowie is an artistic icon. But, is he really? He did not have a successful career till Ronson came on board. Ziggy Stardust was Bowie songs with exceptional arranging by Ronson. After Ronson, every other album had one hit and a bunch of filler. If you cut Ronson out of Bowie's career, I would wager Bowie wouldn't have had the career he had. Bowie has a distinctly different style of writing. The music needs to shine, without Ronson it rarely did. Listen to the Space Oddity album. The songs are great. But, it's Bowie's delivery, not the music that's memorable. With the Ronson albums, it's both, and on many songs with Ronson's riffs, it's the music you hum, and not the lyrics. I've pretty much heard every one of his albums, and the only two that hold up and are well received by the masses without Ronson are Space Oddity (which flopped till Ziggy was released) and Let's Dance. In the documentary, after they left the Ziggy footage, they floundered till (as they put) Bowie's comeback with The Serous Moonlight Tour. What did Bowie do between Ziggy and Let's Dance? A lot. But nothing that touched Ziggy. Why was it his comeback?

Bowie's movies were all pretty much panned, and deservedly so. He's not an actor. I went opening day to his debut The Man Who Fell To Earth. I was 15 or 16 and couldn't be more bored. He's an actor like Mick Jagger is an actor.

He painted. He backed out of two exhibits. He wasn't sure he was good enough. His painting is on par with Ronnie Wood, nothing special.

You could fill a solid album with Bowie hits without Ronson. The rest are for the fanatics. There's nothing worse than a fanatic. You don't have to remove any songs from the Ronson albums. Because they're all classic.

Bowie is a presence. Kind of like Madonna. He has much more talent than her. But, their iconic status comes from the being and not the talent.

Underrated: Mick Ronson.

He made Bowie. He was a great partner with Ian Hunter for years.

Excellent guitarist, multi-instrumentalist. Even better arranger. Arranging is one of the hardest aspects of songwriting to conquer. It can make great songs sound magnificent, and bad songs sound good. I didn't know till after he passed that he helped produce Jack and Diane. Once you know, you can hear his definitive style. That's a fairly simple song with excellent parts. Mellencamp gives Mick full credit for that song.

His two solo projects are both perfect in their execution. But, Mick wasn't a frontman. He didn't want to be. He wanted the glory and especially the money. In the end, he got none of that. He deserved much more than he got.

His posthumous albums which were never really complete, are very good. But, it's obvious they're not complete.

Did Mick deserve the icon moniker that Bowie has? No. But, neither does Bowie. Bowie deserves it more than Madonna.

I've always disliked Andy Warhol's art. I find it boring. I absolutely hate the Campbell Soup can. Seriously? How arrogant do you have to be to hang a big Campbell Soup Can in your living room? I asked my wife what she liked about him, and she said "He was the first to do it." I'm sorry, that's not talent. That's creative and excellent marketing. Not talent. That's Bowie for much of his career.

Last night I watched the over two hour documentary Moonage Daydream. I liked the concert footage, the rest was pretty much crap. Bowie has that great way of talking like he's a deep thinker. But, he literally contradicts himself at every corner. He talks over you, not to you. He does it with intentional purpose, in the same way he dressed in his early years. It's something that after he became a superstar (Ziggy), he slipped into sharp men's clothing for the rest of his career. For videos he went out on a limb. But, his stage presence was polished and sleek. He wore it well.

Overrated: Bowie is an artistic icon. But, is he really? He did not have a successful career till Ronson came on board. Ziggy Stardust was Bowie songs with exceptional arranging by Ronson. After Ronson, every other album had one hit and a bunch of filler. If you cut Ronson out of Bowie's career, I would wager Bowie wouldn't have had the career he had. Bowie has a distinctly different style of writing. The music needs to shine, without Ronson it rarely did. Listen to the Space Oddity album. The songs are great. But, it's Bowie's delivery, not the music that's memorable. With the Ronson albums, it's both, and on many songs with Ronson's riffs, it's the music you hum, and not the lyrics. I've pretty much heard every one of his albums, and the only two that hold up and are well received by the masses without Ronson are Space Oddity (which flopped till Ziggy was released) and Let's Dance. In the documentary, after they left the Ziggy footage, they floundered till (as they put) Bowie's comeback with The Serous Moonlight Tour. What did Bowie do between Ziggy and Let's Dance? A lot. But nothing that touched Ziggy. Why was it his comeback?

Bowie's movies were all pretty much panned, and deservedly so. He's not an actor. I went opening day to his debut The Man Who Fell To Earth. I was 15 or 16 and couldn't be more bored. He's an actor like Mick Jagger is an actor.

He painted. He backed out of two exhibits. He wasn't sure he was good enough. His painting is on par with Ronnie Wood, nothing special.

You could fill a solid album with Bowie hits without Ronson. The rest are for the fanatics. There's nothing worse than a fanatic. You don't have to remove any songs from the Ronson albums. Because they're all classic.

Bowie is a presence. Kind of like Madonna. He has much more talent than her. But, their iconic status comes from the being and not the talent.

Excellent guitarist, multi-instrumentalist. Even better arranger. Arranging is one of the hardest aspects of songwriting to conquer. It can make great songs sound magnificent, and bad songs sound good. I didn't know till after he passed that he helped produce Jack and Diane. Once you know, you can hear his definitive style. That's a fairly simple song with excellent parts. Mellencamp gives Mick full credit for that song.

His two solo projects are both perfect in their execution. But, Mick wasn't a frontman. He didn't want to be. He wanted the glory and especially the money. In the end, he got none of that. He deserved much more than he got.

His posthumous albums which were never really complete, are very good. But, it's obvious they're not complete.

Did Mick deserve the icon moniker that Bowie has? No. But, neither does Bowie. Bowie deserves it more than Madonna.

I've always disliked Andy Warhol's art. I find it boring. I absolutely hate the Campbell Soup can. Seriously? How arrogant do you have to be to hang a big Campbell Soup Can in your living room? I asked my wife what she liked about him, and she said "He was the first to do it." I'm sorry, that's not talent. That's creative and excellent marketing. Not talent. That's Bowie for much of his career.
Sometimes a person can see things for just what they are. I don't have him on any play list rotation. I make this statement as, today, how hard is it to add a song?

I don't dislike Bowie, but I just don't find his music very interesting. He is Overrated.

Bowie lived off the overratedness and image which you can't blame him for. He had some good hits out of it.......long ago.

His spiders was all down to Mick and Mrs Suzie.

Later he is reborn re- The Blitz and Steve Strange.

After the mid 80's it was David who?

Its a fair comment. Ronson was a classically trained pianist who brought the best of Bowie, but Bowie did have talent, he could play guitar and composed. David wrote this song after going to play a gig in Mick's home town of Hull... a one road in one road out fishing town stuck in the 50's where fishermen would be at sea for 2 weeks then drink and fight in the club for 2 weeks. It was like another planet.

I always found it interesting that Ronson, Trevor Bolder and Mick Woodmansy were all from Hull.
I knew a woman from Hull. She came down to London and changed the spelling of her name. She didn't sound northern at all and told me she couldn't wait to get out of Hull.

I like a bunch of Bowie songs but without Ronson I doubt I would like much or any of it. Funny thing is that I heard
Bowie say that his vocal style was inspired by Anthony Newly so now anytime I hear Bowie I hear Anthony Newly.

Think I'm kidding? Check this out:

Its a fair comment. Ronson was a classically trained pianist who brought the best of Bowie, but Bowie did have talent, he could play guitar and composed. David wrote this song after going to play a gig in Mick's home town of Hull... a one road in one road out fishing town stuck in the 50's where fishermen would be at sea for 2 weeks then drink and fight in the club for 2 weeks. It was like another planet.

Did you know it was Rick Wakeman playing piano on Life On Mars?

I always found it interesting that Ronson, Trevor Bolder and Mick Woodmansy were all from Hull.
I knew a woman from Hull. She came down to London and changed the spelling of her name. She didn't sound northern at all and told me she couldn't wait to get out of Hull.
Its a one road in one out fishing town. The fishermen would go to sea for 2 weeks then come home and drink and fight for 2 weeks in the bars. It was the culture

Yes it was, I thought it was Ronson. But Mick was an accomplished piano player also 😇🥰
I think this was Bowie's kind of "kitchen sink Northern drama" comment of his experience. He was a Metrosexual southern softy who experienced a different world in the north of life from what he knew. It would have been a culture shock. Hence the reference.... shit I am on another planet here

Back