OSX Leopard crew, sign in

we've had it up on a system for a week or so now. We're supposed to be doing audio testing, but honestly have been too busy keeping up on orders to get any extra testing done for right now. It looks neat and seems to have some neat new features.

Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard...

Maybe I'm getting old but I'm growing tired of Apple's OS updates. :( Hell, it was only last week that I finally tossed my OS7 disc. :p

It's a pain in the arse at first but once you patch all the updates it's fine. I had Apple's own blue screen of death for a while, couldn't resolve it even with updates ......... turns out the bundles copy of iLife '08 was screwing everything up. Did a clean install and loaded a new retail copy of iLife and it now works fine. Had exactly the same problem with a couple of new iMacs at work.

Time Machine is probably the best backup software I've ever come across though!

I'm running it at work. I'm running it on my test server at home, which will eventually replace my main one (running 10.3) as soon as I figure out how to get Perl (non-CGI) working in Apache 2.... Aaaaargh!

My recording computer is still running 10.4. I only use it for recording. Thus, I basically don't use any of the built-in apps on that machine anyway, and I already do periodic, rotating off-site backups, so I don't see much point in taking the risk of upgrading it. :)

My laptop is still running 10.4. Photoshop 7 won't work in 10.5, so I can't upgrade until I get around to ordering the Photoshop CS3 upgrade. . It's on my list of things to do, but not until I have more time.... Maybe after Christmas.

What I've dealt with so far, it works best if you do an upgrade or a complete clean install. If you do an archive and restore it can really slow things down.

Probably does best if you start from scratch.

Articles I've read pretty much indicated that Tiger was damn near perfect and leopard was just Apple needing a great update to get farther ahead than Vista could ever be or compete with. Not sure if it's worth it, but looks wise it's nicer.

Probably does best if you start from scratch.

Articles I've read pretty much indicated that Tiger was damn near perfect and leopard was just Apple needing a great update to get farther ahead than Vista could ever be or compete with. Not sure if it's worth it, but looks wise it's nicer.

There's a lot of cool technology under the hood. Most of it won't be really interesting until developers start taking advantage of it, though... like the technology behind Time Machine. That's useful enough that I'm planning to use it as part of my web server to automatically detect when new files are added and regenerate thumbnails. (Of course, my new server will be so much faster that regenerating the thumbnails won't be as much of a burden anyway. Oh, yeah, and I need to multithread that process for both manual uploads and through-the-interface uploads. I almost forgot. :D)

Back