Opinion on StudioProjects B1/B3??

TimOBrien

Anyone tried out the Studio Projects B1 or B3????

I know the C1 has been highly rated for the past couple of years but the B1 at $80 or especially the B3 at $150 seem too good to pass up.

Any one with experience on these yet??

Tim,I haven't tried the B1 or B3 but I do own the other mic in the series,the TB1.I know at $300 it's alot more expensive than the other B series mics,but if it's in any way indicative of the other B series mics,wow.I just love this mic.

I tried out the C-1 and the B-1. I was impressed with both, and I wish I could afford both. But I couldn't, so I decided to go with the B-1.

My other vocal mic is a Marshall V-67G. To my ears, it sounded similar to the C-1 (I liked the C-1 a shade better). But the B-1 sounded crisp and flatter to my ears - and versatile. It could be used on acoustic guitar, vocals and on an amp, with at least passable results on each.

Finally, I tracked a male singer with a powerful, full voice with the 67 and the B-1. We chose the B-1 track, which sounded a bit crisper without being harsh.

So, for the money I found the B-1 to be quite a buy. And... I'll save up for the C-1 when I can afford it!

Fab

SP B1!

I'll give a non-expert's unreserved thumbs-up to the B1 as well. A nice large-diaphragm mic with a passable internal shock mount and phallic windscreen for only $80! (Sorta gives new meanings to "eat the mic"...) :D

I dig it. The mic, that is. :) Seems nice for voiceovers and the like as well as musical tracking. Big proximity effect IMHO. I'm still trying to find the magic mic positioning for my voice (a true challenge for any mic!).

If your pre has a low-cut filter, it'll come in handy. The internal shockmount definitely helps a lot, but you may still detect some super-low rumbling and the like. The mic's response goes really low (specs say 20hz). The mic handles a good bit of handling without the capsule banging into the housing. However, DON'T let the capsule bang into the housing while monitoring with 'phones!! It's painful. :)

I hear that if you want a pair for stereo recording, you should make sure the little colored dots put on the boxes are the same color. Alan discusses this a little in a thread I can't locate at the moment.

Fab4,

In regard to the V-67 and C1..............I have a C1, and a while back asked the question of our resident mic guru, Harvey, whether it would be worth my while importing a V-67 (there isn't an Australian distributor yet). His advice to me was basically that considering their similarities, he didn't think I would be gaining anything that I don't already have.................consequently I will be getting another C1 sometime in the future.

I would suggest you consider purchasing a second B1 or V-67 rather than a C1.

:cool:

I've got a B1, and I use it as an alround mic. I don't use it on my voice usually except for loud vocal. The B1 is not as bright as my T.Bone ST1000 (=Superlux CMH8D) tube LD nor does it sound as flattering. Its response seemst to be pretty flat with a slight scoop in the low mids perhaps. It's great for electric guitar and bass. You definitely need a pop screen for vocals, the windscreen doesn't really help. The construction is very solid; pretty impressive for a mic that cheap. The mic clamp is a pain in the ass, though. It just doesn't stay in place. Does anyone have the same problem?

Rossi said:
I've got a B1, and I use it as an alround mic. I don't use it on my voice usually except for loud vocal. The B1 is not as bright as my T.Bone ST1000 (=Superlux CMH8D) tube LD nor does it sound as flattering. Its response seemst to be pretty flat with a slight scoop in the low mids perhaps. It's great for electric guitar and bass. You definitely need a pop screen for vocals, the windscreen doesn't really help. The construction is very solid; pretty impressive for a mic that cheap. The mic clamp is a pain in the ass, though. It just doesn't stay in place. Does anyone have the same problem?

Yeah, the mic clip is kind of annoying. I can only get it to stay all the way to each end, or at a 45 degree angle in the middle. I use a boom stand with it so I can get around the clip problem.

I've gotten away without using a pop filter by singing across the capsule (at a 45 degree angle or so) or aiming slightly down (at the 797 logo) or singing from farther away... but yeah it's needed for going straight on. Unless you sing quietly, then the windscreen seems good enough.

I agree that it's more accurate than flattering--listening to my vocal tracks proves it. ;)

Get a pop screen. I hesitated to buy one until I bought my B1. It was the best 20 bucks I spent more recently. Singing has gotten so much more relaxing ever since. It also helps to keep you in a steady distance to the mic.

I recently used the b1 as the vocal mic for my bands demo. I liked it a lot. It sounded very clear to me. This is my first LD condenser, so I can't say that it is a good condenser mic because I have no comparison. But if you are looking for something better than an sm58 for vocals but have no money, I would say it is worth the buy. Our singer has an amazing voice, so it didn't need to be flattering, and there is some screaming which actually sounded really good to me on that mic.

I stuck in in front of my bass amp fooling around with it and it didn't sound to bad, It was pretty much representative of what my amp sounds like, I might use it on a track.

Thats just my impressions, take what you will from that. I'll probably have some mp3's posted in the clinic in a week or so. If I get a chance maybe I'll post a dry vocal w/o anything else so you can hear it.

josh

oh, I almost forgot. get a popfilter. It was pretty boomy on the plosives. I bought one of those expensive metal screen stedman one's just to be sure. It worked pretty well.

Thanks, Ausrock, for the tip above.

Tis true, there are many things I need more than a C-1. Right now my mic locker is this:

V-67G
Studio Projects B-1
MXL-603S (2 of 'em)

My pres are a Meek MQ3 and the pres in the Omni Studio (DMP2 equivalent)

Any recommendation on another mic? I don't have a dynamic, but then I don't record live drums or often mic my electric guitars, so I haven't found the need for one yet.

Fab

Rossi said:
I've got a B1, The mic clamp is a pain in the ass, though. It just doesn't stay in place. Does anyone have the same problem?

Ok, guys, I will make your day on the mic clip....

The clip is fine, you just need to tighten it. If you look at the clip itself, there are two round plastic covers at the base, one on each side of the clip. Carefully pull off the round plastic cover to reveal the aluminum colored screw using your thumb and forefinger. Be careful not to force the cover off. It will come off, but you do not want to break it. Tighten each screw on each side enough to make the clip sung. There should be no reason for you to return the clip or be unhappy, it is just a matter of tightening the screws. When you are done, replace the round plastic covers carefully and the mic will hold firm.

We are bringing out a B Series Shock Mount for those who want them. Three to six weeks is my guess.

regards,

Alan Hyatt

Alan, thanks a lot for the info. Perhaps you should include it in the manual; I'm sure there'll be other users with the same problem. Actually, I was hoping there might be a screw, but was afraid to break the clamp trying to find out.

alanhyatt said:

We are bringing out a B Series Shock Mount for those who want them. Three to six weeks is my guess.

regards,

Alan Hyatt

Hi Alan, thanks for the info on the clip adjustment. I just got my B1 yesterday and I did some goofing around with it. I was wondering if the mxl-57 shock mount will work, the straight barrel dimensions look pretty close and might be an interim fix for those folks who already have mxl67's, 63's with the shock mounts.

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
I was wondering if the mxl-57 shock mount will work, the straight barrel dimensions look pretty close and might be an interim fix for those folks who already have mxl67's, 63's with the shock mounts.

SoMm

Most mounts will work, including our C1 mount, but not on the B3 as it covers the switches. That is why we have made a new mount for the B Series. It is quite good, and very clever. Delivery in 6 weeks or so, but until then, use what you can! :D

Well I must say that I'm pretty satisfied with the internal shock mount of my B1's so far. I got a pair of early ones that initially had a problem with the internal shock mount system but Alan (Studio Projects) was very prompt about fixing them (Upgrading to current specs) & getting them back to me. I haven't encountered any need for an external shock mount with them.

Pretty hard to go wrong purchasing the B1. It's definitely versatile & actually kind of unique sounding among the Large diaphragm condensers. I suggest some of you might be surprised how well a pair can sound as drum overheads. a job I know that's normally reserved for small or medium diaphragm condensor for their more constant freq response over a wider polar pattern, but I've found the B1 response constant enough over +- 45 degree off axis to get good enough coverage of a 5 piece drum kit. The freq response is also quite flattering for drum overheads. I also have a pair of Oktava MC-012 for drum overheads, so I do have a comparison to back up that opinion.

I haven't experimented with the B1 much on voice yet frankly because I've just been so satisfied with my V67 on my voice but I intend to give the B1 a go at it soon. I mainly got them as all around mics & as a contrast to the V67. They seem clean & quiet with good upper high end & low end. The high end has a nice subtle rise in response out to about 16 or 17 khz. There is however a measurable little dip in the 5 khz range that is nice to know about. I've sometimes found it helpful to boost the EQ there just a little on acoustic guitar tracks. At the same time though I think the dip can be taken advantage of in some instrument micing situations to keep out of the way of the vocal presence range. As drum overheads for instance. It also cuts down on vocal sibilance.

knowdoubt

Very good post. You now know know what I know. The B1's are a very versitle mic. I just have to get the word to let people know that. They do very well on overheads as you have found out, they are very nice for vocals, and in some cases are better than the C1 or the V67 because they are more neutral, but they are a great all purpose mic that at $79.00 should be in more mic lockers.

As you know, we had a little hitch with the internal suspension system. That unfortunately was a manufacturing defect that did not get picked up on test. The reason it did not is we test mics clipped into the mount or clip and shoot it with sound, then we test with measuring equipment, so the mic does not move during the test.

In either case, as you well know, we take care of business and fixed yours quickly, and will do so to anyone having that problem. I am pleased you like the B1's. Hey, add a B3 and you can do M/S!!

Alan Hyatt

Back