On This Day…

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
I gave up a “promotion” to our flagship show because it didn’t come with a pay raise for one, and it’s way more stress and less creative freedom.

On the morning shows I’ve started doing a quick segment of On This Day in history. It’s fun.

I’ll start with yesterday since it was a good one. Feel free to add anything or talk about stuff what you did on that day.

May 25th:

Star Wars was released to the public, later named Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Arguably the most popular sci-fi/fantasy franchise in the Western World. I like Lord of the Rings way more, and Harry Potter a tiny bit more, but I have to tip my hat to Star Wars on their success. They’re unbeatable.

Also - Babe Ruth hits his last home run: 714

I debated putting that in, but more people would care about Star Wars

May 26th

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was released to the public.

Not much else. No significant birthdays or deaths.

but I have to tip my hat to Star Wars on their success. They’re unbeatable.
The George Lucas Masterpieces are forever. They did it.

What came next is just a money grab. No real art..Just CGI. Pretty people in costumes, not really actors or talented. They shook the camera around, and any real cinema enthusiast gets up and turns off the TV...Wake up. You walk around outside and look at your world..Its gone. Everything.

I used to like animated movies. Now that is all CGI. Use your hands..draw something..on a cel..

May 26th -

1897 The vampire novel Dracula, by Irish writer Bram Stoker, goes on sale in London bookshops.

1920 Peggy Lee was Born in Jamestown, North Dakota.

1940 The Dunkirk evacuation begins.

1950 Germany Berlin Wall started to go up.

1969 John Lennon and Yoko Ono staged their public 'bed in' for world peace.

1989 China Tiananmen Square happened - with the Sole Protestor standing in front of the Tank.

2004 Terry Nichols was found guilty of 161 state murder charges for being an accomplice to Timothy McVeigh who carried out the Oklahoma City bombing.

May 27th

Chrysler Building opens to public (1930). Tallest building in the world for 11 months.

Golden Gate Bridge opens to public (1937)

Evacuation of Dunkirk begins (Dunkirk a good movie on this).

Beijing forces Dalai Lama to surrender his army (7 Years in Tibet a good movie on this).

May 28th

President Jackson signs the Indian Removal Act which leads to the Trail of Tears

Volkswagen was founded

Barry Bonds surpasses Babe Ruth’s home run record

May 31st

Ramesses the II becomes pharaoh of Egypt a gajillion years ago and signs a peace treaty with aliens

The Titanic launched. It would sink on its maiden voyage less than a year later.

Back