No, it’s not all in the fingers.

To segue into something more fun, I re-recorded Getting Better by the Beatles and I've gotten what I think is pretty dang close to Macca's bass tone after A/Bing a fair bit.

Hofner (I know this song used the Rick) with flats into a Vox T25, all settings at zero on the amp. Then I had a four plugin combination that really helped, the most important of which was the REDD console emulation plugin.

The Drums are the real thing from Ringo. Borrowed it because I don't have a kit or someone to play.

Great job! Sounds very nice overall. I like the guitar tones especially.

I'm glad you did this, actually, because it's a great study in the things we were discussing in this thread.

I can see both sides in this presentation, in that:

1) I can hear that the bass tone seems to be in the right ballpark, but ...
2) It doesn't really sound all that much like Macca to me, IMHO.

Regarding #2, this is to be expected for several reasons.
First of all, you're playing a significantly different bass line than him during the choruses. I don't just mean different little rhythms or filler notes here and there, but you're actually playing entirely different bass notes at times. This is really noticeable in measures 3 and 4 of the chorus, for example.

Secondly, you're not really matching his articulations (staccato vs. legato) all the time.

And thirdly, it doesn't sound as though you're digging in, overall, as much as Paul did. This is speculative, of course, because I wasn't there at the Sgt. Pepper sessions, but it just feels to me that you're likely playing a bit mellower than he did. (I could be wrong about this.)

I understand that you may be saying, "Stop, stop, stop! I'm just talking about the TONE." :)

And I know that. But my point is that I think even your TONE would sound even more convincing if these other things were addressed. It would sound even closer to Macca's TONE on "Getting Better." Because, again ... the gear doesn't make a tone at all by itself. It only makes a tone when someone plays it. It doesn't care who plays it, but it does care how it's played.

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to this. I think you did a great job --- especially on the guitars. I just thought it was really interesting in light of the previous discussion.

Thanks for sharing.

Great job! Sounds very nice overall. I like the guitar tones especially.

I'm glad you did this, actually, because it's a great study in the things we were discussing in this thread.

I can see both sides in this presentation, in that:

1) I can hear that the bass tone seems to be in the right ballpark, but ...
2) It doesn't really sound all that much like Macca to me, IMHO.

Regarding #2, this is to be expected for several reasons.
First of all, you're playing a significantly different bass line than him during the choruses. I don't just mean different little rhythms or filler notes here and there, but you're actually playing entirely different bass notes at times. This is really noticeable in measures 3 and 4 of the chorus, for example.

Secondly, you're not really matching his articulations (staccato vs. legato) all the time.

And thirdly, it doesn't sound as though you're digging in, overall, as much as Paul did. This is speculative, of course, because I wasn't there at the Sgt. Pepper sessions, but it just feels to me that you're likely playing a bit mellower than he did. (I could be wrong about this.)

I understand that you may be saying, "Stop, stop, stop! I'm just talking about the TONE." :)

And I know that. But my point is that I think even your TONE would sound even more convincing if these other things were addressed. It would sound even closer to Macca's TONE on "Getting Better." Because, again ... the gear doesn't make a tone at all by itself. It only makes a tone when someone plays it. It doesn't care who plays it, but it does care how it's played.

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to this. I think you did a great job --- especially on the guitars. I just thought it was really interesting in light of the previous discussion.

Thanks for sharing.
Oh yeah, I definitely took some liberties with the bass line. I wanted to have fun with it! I’m guessing you didn’t play it till the end because I was dicking around with one guitar (the one panned on the right I think) and it’s not even in time with the song. It’s like a toddler is just playing it lmao. But yeah, I ran the guitars through the REDD console plugin too, and gave them a bit of crunch.

Back