Need help finding a couple of vocal comp units.

Folkcafe

Up to this point I've been a, just get it into the computer and I'll work with it there, kind of guy. It's been working out so far but I've decided it's time to start the next phase for the studio. For me that's going to be a few channels of compression. Once in the computer, I stay there so I haven't bought into needing much outboard gear up until now.

I would normally not use any while tracking but one is not always blessed with clients with great mic technique. This is even more the case as I have stepped up the workload to actually be able to afford some new gear. My studio is a little part-time gig.

So to this end I ordered a Triple C single to try out and am considering the RNC but hate the idea of buying a 2 channel unit that will only get used for 1 channel. As I still have some budget left I need some suggestions for units that work well on vocals. Priced around $500-$700.

I'm not looking for vocal channels as I have pre's I like and a console that's not too bad either. Any help narrowing this down would be great. I spent an hour looking at a Sweetwater catalog and scratching my head. The pictures are not going to get me anywhere. I need some input for something that shines on vocals. I don't care about anything else.

Thanks

Don Goguen
Folk Cafe Productions

whether you are gonna use it for one channel or two, the RNC is the winner hands down....but i have no idea what a Triple C is....i probably cant afford it.....

3400+ posts?

It took me from March this year till today to get to Junior Member.

The triple C is the TC Electronics unit. I can get it for real cheap if I like it. We'll see. If not it goes back.

The RNC is next and then what? In my live rack I used DBX 166 until I went digital and got the O1V. Other than that I have little experience with outboard comps. We have a couple at work but they see little use (Tube Tech and Focusrite reds). Can't afford them anyway.

How do the RNC's work for a little compression on vocal tracking?

Anything else out there I should look at?

Don Goguen

I'd say go with a couple of RNC's. They work extremely well on vocals. They absolutely blow away the dbx166. The Behringer Composers aren't that bad either. But that's just if you don't have any kind of brand bias against Behringer, which a lot of people do. Just my opinion.

Well the RNC is next but alas it has no limiters. This is one of the features I need as well. I got the Triple C yesterday and am trying out the Drawmer MX30. The limiters do a nice job on the MX30 but the jury is still out on the comp section ( I just haven't had the chance to do any real work with them yet). I have some bass & vocal tracks I'm going to work with this weekend with the Triple C. I like that it has digital I/O's so I can use it with my DAW and stay digital.

I may just try some Behringers for light comp and limiting during tracking session when I need it. They are cheap and these are not intended to be my go to comps.

I'm still interested in affordable unit that I should take a listen too.

And yes the RNC will go on order in Jan.

Thanks

Don Goguen

I have an autocom pro and for mild compression/limiting/gating, i think you'll get more than your $79 worth out of it.....

Back