My Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the J&J shot and had a pretty bad case of the chills, it was in the 80's. That reaction passed within 24 hours, I heard many had reactions after the second. Since the J&J is only one, it might be extra strength.

I get an annual pass for the 9 local muni courses. Then it costs me $7-8 to walk 18 holes. I got in 3 rounds last week, 2 this week. I took up golf because I didn't have enough frustration in my life! How do you shoot 82 one week, and 101 the next? I guess the same way a pro golfer hits 5 balls in the water on a single hole and takes 13 on a par 3 (just happened this past week in Memphis)

Most of my group of a dozen or so are retired, most are vaccinated. A couple that aren't got Covid, it put one out for about 3 weeks, another thats in his 50s was out for 2 months. He said it was the sickest he's been in years! He caught it before his age group was in the queue.
man $7 to $8 for walking 18 holes is kick ass cheap....I just took up the game about 10 years ago via my son in law. Love / Hate it...I got good enough to beat him once in a while and he said hell no, got himself a net and some practice props and he is kicking my ass regularly again... I was trying to get out once a week but this Covid thing has screwed up everything and golf rates have gone up a bit...I do have a 9 hole close by that I can play for $7 in the mornings...generally walking the muni's with my LA senior card is @ $16 to $20 walking

I took the J&J shot and had a pretty bad case of the chills, it was in the 80's. That reaction passed within 24 hours, I heard many had reactions after the second. Since the J&J is only one, it might be extra strength.
I have actually read that having a reaction like that is a good thing. Your immune system is kicking into gear, which is what it is supposed to do. Unlike an antibiotic, which is supposed to directly attack a pathogen (bacterial only), a vaccine works by imitating an active virus, which makes your natural immune system start to produce antibodies. Those antibodies then are on the lookout for that particular virus. The old vaccines were basically dead or crippled viruses like the original polio vaccine. mRNA takes a particular portion of that virus and "imitates" the virus. Since it's not an actual viral body, it can't replicate or infect you or cause any illness.
I used to joke that my headstone would read "Never played golf, Never rode a motorcycle" but now I have to amend that.
I've also got a motorcycle, but it has been sitting for over 20 years after getting some crap gas that plugged the carbs. I thought about having it fixed up, but with the crazies out there on the road these day, I would probably end up as road scrapings. I'll just wait until the market for vintage Japanese motorcycles goes crazy like the U47 and 59 Les Paul market. 🤑

Hey TR......what make and model old bike do you have? I got rid of my Harley 2 years ago after having a bike since I was 15. I live in Florida and riding became VERY hazardous. People texting and watching their phones while driving.......weaving all over the road....hitting the brakes suddenly.....running red lights..........etc...etc. Add that too the age old age of many Florida drivers and too many close calls to count....and my time on two wheels was over.

Old or crap gas always gummed up my carb bikes. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. I actually started my biking life with a Honda 50 around 1967. I thought it was the coolest thing.

Mick

Mine is a 1980 Suzuki GS550. It's a standard Japanese 4 cylinder/4 stroker, reasonably smooth, and it was a great commuter bike. A buddy had a Sportster, and that thing would shake the fillings out of your teeth. My cousin had a Kaw 900. What a rocket! I started on a 75 Kawasaki 100 dirt/street bike. It was great fun to ride to the woods near the house and tool around the trails. I sold my mid 60s Fender Jaguar to finance that purchase. Nobody told me that old guitars would be worth 20 times what I sold it for.

When the carb problem cropped up, I wasn't in a financial position to spend $200 to have the 4 carbs pulled and cleaned. Plus I didn't have an easy way to get it to the shop. So I put it aside, and took it out of service. That meant I didn't have to pay the insurance either, which saved me more money. It's been a fixture in the garage ever since.

My first crash @ 12 was on a honda 50 step through out in the desert ...too deep of sand kind of crash so no biggie. I bought a Bonanza mini bike when I was @ 13 ( worked at my Uncles plating shop for $1.35 an hour tp buy it) It wasn't the one with the Hodaka motor ( Tecumseh 4HP) actually got it wired up with lights and got it street legal and licensed and was riding legal on the street at 15 and half (with my permit) Had several buddies that had desert dirt bikes and of course the friends that had Harleys...Never forget my first attempted wheely...oops ....on a brand new small Kawasaki of a friend..Up and over and on my knees in first gear...I mean it was brand new and I was freaking out as I didn't want to let it fall so I held onto it and it dragged me about 15 feet into the curb and some Ivy...there went a nice pair of levis and a bunch of skin on the knees...just bent the shifter in that save...OY!

Totally planned on riding into the sunset years on either a big Harley or a nice Honda Goldwing but as Mick noted...with the advent of mobile phones and driving I was advised by my cousin who had sold his Harley because in a matter of @ 5 years he lost multiple biker buddies to careless distracted drivers...It isn't like it used to be..so alas..That ship sailed.

Oh on the carburetor thing my Pops started a auto parts rebuilding company back in the 40's called Tomco...the brand still exist to this day but he sold out @ 1950...He had me rebuilding my parts early...rebuilt a lot of stuff before I was 17. If you're mechanically inclined it is really pretty easy and with Youtube so many tutorials there's a good chance someone has put a step by step tutorial of how to rebuild that carb...You might want to take the challenge and give it a go... Take it apart soak it in some gas and clean the jets n float parts....the worst that can happen is you have to buy a rebuilt one...ez pz...

I used to joke that my headstone would read "Never played golf, Never rode a motorcycle" but now I have to amend that.
I just got into the game about 10 years ago..son-in-law dragged me out..What is wrong with you? A white business man (He's Mexican) that doesn't play golf? Some of the biggest deals are done on the course..then memories of a half dozen times I had to decline playing in some tournament or just going out for a round...OK lets try it.......Got the bug and the rest is misery...man I wish I'd taken it up when I was a kid. Funny thing is just a few years after taking it up, it was the glue that brought me and my current Chinese business partner together. Had known him for several years before but we just never did business just kind of friendly competitors. I am at his office in China and see his clubs and mention golf..His eyes light up "you play golf?" Kinda sorta terribly, You wanna go out for a round? Sure and so began a whole new business opportunity that although not incredibly fruitful (yet) has been and is a damn cool journey for this old fart.

God Only Loves Fools

I was out on a course New years day a few years back and it was backed up bad...there were two older gents ahead of us waiting and we started talking...The one dude was 92 and still hitting the ball damn well.... his 86 year old friend was damn good to...They told me they went out once week...sign me up, God willing, I'm in for the long game.

I started on a Honda 50, then pulled one of @TAE's wacked out wheelies on a friends Honda 450 - also jamming the shift lever so it became stuck in 2nd. That was on an abandoned airstrip and it slid me about 50ft - melted the nylon off the whole left side of my jacket. Then I got a Kawasaki 500-3 two-stroker (freakin' suicide machine). Moved up to a Honda CB750, which I totaled on I-95 taking an exit ramp at 80+ ... back tire slid out and I tumbled like clothes in a dryer. Bike was totaled.. me too, almost - so I gave up riding.

I would like to add:

Here in Florida, no one in or out of any vehicle is safe if you're within 50-ft of any road. Drivers here will accelerate to 100+ and veer off to run your ass over.

Last edited:
Yeah.....I too had an '84 (maybe it was an '86?) Sportster. Man.....as pointed out....that thing rattled every bone in my body. On top of that...it was only a 4 speed with an 883cc motor. The 4 speed wasn't geared right and getting above 55 was enough to make you go deaf and end up without feeling in parts of your body. My last bike was a FXST Harley Softail. It was 1450cc's and ran very smooth and had way more power than you'd ever need. I miss the old days of riding.....but not the days of recent years.

Mick

I have actually read that having a reaction like that is a good thing. Your immune system is kicking into gear, which is what it is supposed to do. Unlike an antibiotic, which is supposed to directly attack a pathogen (bacterial only), a vaccine works by imitating an active virus, which makes your natural immune system start to produce antibodies. Those antibodies then are on the lookout for that particular virus. The old vaccines were basically dead or crippled viruses like the original polio vaccine. mRNA takes a particular portion of that virus and "imitates" the virus. Since it's not an actual viral body, it can't replicate or infect you or cause any illness.

I've also got a motorcycle, but it has been sitting for over 20 years after getting some crap gas that plugged the carbs. I thought about having it fixed up, but with the crazies out there on the road these day, I would probably end up as road scrapings. I'll just wait until the market for vintage Japanese motorcycles goes crazy like the U47 and 59 Les Paul market. 🤑
I'm almost scared to drive my pickup on the roads round here. Get on two wheels? Fugetaboutit .

I was riding a bike up until a couple of years ago. Maybe old age getting to me, but I sold it and now drive around in an old '74 bug. Lot of work to do on those old cars just to keep them on the road.

Reactions: TAE
Hey TR......what make and model old bike do you have? I got rid of my Harley 2 years ago after having a bike since I was 15. I live in Florida and riding became VERY hazardous. People texting and watching their phones while driving.......weaving all over the road....hitting the brakes suddenly.....running red lights..........etc...etc. Add that too the age old age of many Florida drivers and too many close calls to count....and my time on two wheels was over.
Exact same reason I sold my bike 3 years ago. It's a risk I couldn't mitigate.

As for the vaccine, I got both a while ago. Didn't have pain either time, but I worked out after each shot. I think that helped to move the fluid through the muscle. I got a fever both times, but wasn't bad.

No genital mutations. It was there to see if anyone was reading. Good catch Mick!!! (How many months later?? :) )

No genital mutations. It was there to see if anyone was reading. Good catch Mick!!! (How many months later?? :) )

Definitely a head scratcher how that got by without anyone noticing....well, almost anyone. Was actually just reading back through the thread to see how far we've traveled. It's been a heluva trip, and ain't over yet.

More and more vaccinated people are coming out with breakthru SYMPTOMATIC cases of COVID. School is starting and it could get bad. Did they say if Lambda is vaccine resistant yet?

On the Meanwhile in Australia front: Apparently they are shooting to death dogs in a shelter to avoid the contact between humans required to get the dogs adopted into a forever home. I think it's a backwater town/council/area/whatever. Report says they have had zero recent reported cases of covid, I reckon they aim to keep it that way?

Harsh. wtf is wrong with those people down there?

Got my second Moderna shot on Saturday. I had a worse reaction this time. Nothing major, but this time after about 12 hours or so I started feeling like I was run over by a truck. Mild flu symptoms. I stayed in bed and drank plenty of water all day. Lots of sleep. I felt extra warm but had no temperature. This morning I felt fine.

On the Meanwhile in Australia front: Apparently they are shooting to death dogs in a shelter to avoid the contact between humans required to get the dogs adopted into a forever home. I think it's a backwater town/council/area/whatever. Report says they have had zero recent reported cases of covid, I reckon they aim to keep it that way?

Harsh. wtf is wrong with those people down there?
I've been seeing in the news where some areas in the U.S. are vaccinating their animal populations for Covid.

Why? Apart from the odd 'claim'????? There is no evidence of pets or other animals getting the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back