My Corona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh for sure...the fear for some is genuine.

:facepalm:

I like how you make a STUPID assumption about my line of thinking, when you suggest I'm saying some people "deserve to die". :rolleyes:
It's exactly this type of illogical stuff that is annoying with this virus. People are responding in extreme, knee-jerk reactions.

My "facts" came from a news article I read...that many of the dead in Italy had preexisting conditions that collapsed when they got the virus.
That's NOT saying that they "deserved to die"...that's just a FACT that needs to be taken into account.
So then if you use Italy as your benchmark for the virus...it will skew your view (which it apparently has), into thinking that death is more possible for anyone getting the virus...but in reality the majority of people recover from the virus. We may not recover for a long time if our USA or even global economy completely tanks due to overreaction.

When we are in month 3-4 (or who knows, maybe month 9) of the shutdown...get back to me then how you feel about things.
For some people, staying home is easy. I can stay home...and most of the elderly can...but the entire population will not be able to for months on end.

If the economy tanks...the fallout will be much worse and more prolonged for everyone, not to mention the next generation or two, and yes, there will even be premature death from that, but it probably won't be as clearly quantified as it is with the virus...so the results of a potential tanked global economy will linger for a decade or two.
Maybe that isn't a real concern for the elderly as much as their immediate health is...but it will be for everyone else.
I'm no spring chicken either, so don't think I don't have my own risks to consider...but living is just as important as life....if you get my meaning.

Peace out.

Wasn't trying to argue with you...just pointing out that there's a few ways to consider what's going on, and that maybe we all need to think about the long-term as much as we think about the immediate situation when decisions are made.

All life is precious...and there are many things that can affect it negatively, not just a virus.

I don't think the numbers will be tripling ever week indefinitely...it's the spike in the curve as the virus progresses, but it will come back down.
What's interesting to me is that the number recovered isn't moving up...so there is a large number of people who are in that 2-3 week sick period, but when most of them recover, then the curve will start to flatten out.

One other thing...if the number infected and dying keeps increasing...then it raises the question that all these shutdowns aren't really making as much of a difference as expected, and the virus will simply run it's course no matter what...some will be infected, some won't, some will die, some will recover.

One other thing...if the number infected and dying keeps increasing...then it raises the question that all these shutdowns aren't really making as much of a difference as expected, and the virus will simply run it's course no matter what...some will be infected, some won't, some will die, some will recover.
It's because of the 2 week 'incubation/contagious' time. Didn't you see the picture of all those people on the beaches in Florida on springbreak a week and half ago? Then they all went home and are spreading it further.

Reading the CDC info it makes sense only the data in past tense can be known, and during a crisis there isn't the ability to make clear and factual stats.

China locked down hard, "California" cities a lesser but severe Shelter-In Home level.....then theres the current lesser levels all the way down to doing nothing and going to Florida to party!!! Italy seems to be sending the signal now that the "ignoring it" doesn't work.
The past data of China is they locked down and reduced the issue. The unknown data is will China have a 2nd wave once they turn everything back on?

From the reports from Nurses in the hospitals now in this area its getting uglier each day. Best way I understand keeping quarantined is to keep myself out of the Hell-hole hospitals, as the Hospital isn't a place you want to be right now. A huge test of the system for sure.

My work is now going to a higher level of closing and requiring sign-in only, and allowing by guard only 10 in the building at a time.
So far still getting a check for April.....May, June who knows?

I don't really agree with the US Gov sending out checks to everyone under $100k a year. I would have put it all on people who are filing Unemployment first of all and get them the money, sure that's good they need it. But why am I and all the people still working and all the Retired People still getting their normal incomes getting a "handout check"? Seems stupid and makes no sense.

Many factors weigh in that make the data a bit unreliable one of which there were not enough testing kits to test anyone who though they had the bug until now kind of sort of.
I have heard (prepare for unsupported hearsay) "they" believe the U.S. may have had cases all the way back in January.
Sadly I would not at all be surprised that this is true. For a fact it was happening and first identified in China 12/31/19
I participated in a big ass trade show in Vegas in mid January with over 100,000 attendees and a boat load of Chinese vendors from all over China ...what are the odds of 1 of them bringing a little friend along with them? Definitely a real possibility...and just one of these at least 1000 Chinese visitors / exhibitors could have spread it to 100's of people coming from all over the world to this show..This is just one example of probably 100's of ways this bug was spread much earlier that previously thought. The fact that we didn't have test kits and there is still a shortage is troubling.. There are several companies in China offering test kits but they are not FDA (Fricking Dumb Ass system) approved so for now not allowed to be brought in.

IMG_0422.56d68704452a9-1024x683.png

Last edited:
"California" cities a lesser but severe Shelter-In Home level....
For once it doesn't suck to live in lefty California

Again having a lot of Chinese friends what we are doing here in Cali obviously helps some but it is not fair to compare a spread out population of California to a tight quarters place like New York.

In China even in the areas where they didn't LOCK YOU DOWN with a piece of security tape sealing your apartment door and tracking you by your phones..they still did a lot more to slow down the spread...This includes requiring EVERYONE to wear the n95 mask and wherever you go there are officials with the laser thermometers zapping you to see if you have a fever and scanning your wechat qr code to identify and track you and make sure you're not being careless...Sadly the U.S has more than double the cases of China right now, they are 11 weeks in and almost have it stopped we are 3 weeks in and it is growing... Do your part to slow the spread and stay safe...from the reports of people who have had this yes some have hardly any symptoms but Holy shit many who didn't die say it was the worst fricking bug they had ever had...super painful back pains for some reason..described as if someone is breaking your back in half...Yikes!

On supporting the local restaurants...I get it but damn if that dumb ass woman who leads the los Angeles health department hasn't made me want to rethink eating anything not cooked in my house and is COOKED!

When asked what they are doing to ensure that the restaurants are not spreading the virus she replied that the health department has standards in place that prevent restaurants from spreading salmonella and we do unannounced inspections every day...WTF? You haven't instituted more strict standards with this shit going around?...Kind of like anyone working in a food preparation establishment must be tested for the virus before they can work in that environment and they must wear mask during preparation...Nope we're gonna just let them make food like we always have because we have a grading system in place .....dumb asses. BUT I'M NOT BITTER! :laughings:

Many factors weigh in that make the data a bit unreliable one of which there were not enough testing kits to test anyone who though they had the bug until now kind of sort of.
I have heard (prepare for unsupported hearsay) "they" believe the U.S. may have had cases all the way back in January.
Sadly I would not at all be surprised that this is true. For a fact it was happening and first identified in China 12/31/19
I participated in a big ass trade show in Vegas in mid January with over 100,000 attendees and a boat load of Chinese vendors from all over China ...what are the odds of 1 of them bringing a little friend along with them? Definitely a real possibility...and just one of these at least 1000 Chinese visitors / exhibitors could have spread it to 100's of people coming from all over the world to this show..This is just one example of probably 100's of ways this bug was spread much earlier that previously thought. The fact that we didn't have test kits and there is still a shortage is troubling.. There are several companies in China offering test kits but they are not FDA (Fricking Dumb Ass system) approved so for now not allowed to be brought in.

View attachment 105899

I was reading some Taiwan success article with this and they are familiar with China and the China tendency to not be transparent.
But this article said it initially was told to Taiwan there was a severe pneumonia. Taiwan went over and these medical types felt they weren't getting the "whole truth" but came back and sounded the alarm really early.

They seem to be operating business's and doing masks and following orders... there are some countries doing better, Germany and Taiwan it seems is on that list.

Yeah its crazy the huge gatherings. Pictures of India lower wealth masses of people would seem to be ripe for the "worst case" scenario like the picture of the trade show leans towards.

But why am I and all the people still working and all the Retired People still getting their normal incomes getting a "handout check"? Seems stupid and makes no sense.

If you were watching the Stock Market...many 401 retirement accounts lost 30% or more during the rollercoaster ride.
Also, there is and will be secondary fallout from the virus, the shutdowns that is/will affect everyone. You may be working...but the economy will start to tank, and everything will cost more or be harder to get.

I just don't see how a couple of thousands is going to make a difference if the shutdowns turn into months...?

On supporting the local restaurants...I get it but damn if that dumb ass woman who leads the los Angeles health department hasn't made me want to rethink eating anything not cooked in my house and is COOKED!

When asked what they are doing to ensure that the restaurants are not spreading the virus she replied that the health department has standards in place that prevent restaurants from spreading salmonella and we do unannounced inspections every day...WTF? You haven't instituted more strict standards with this shit going around?...Kind of like anyone working in a food preparation establishment must be tested for the virus before they can work in that environment and they must wear mask during preparation...Nope we're gonna just let them make food like we always have because we have a grading system in place .....dumb asses. BUT I'M NOT BITTER! :laughings:

That's kinda my point too...with essential and some other services still operating, because they need to be or can be...food, infrastructure, etc...how is the virus really being contained, and these shutdowns are only going to have a marginal effect, and again...I think the virus will just run its course no matter what.
We may actually be prolonging the spread...?

The entire world would have to live in an "clean room" environment not to spread it at all. Something just not realistic at all.
When they let everyone go out...even months from now...how comfortable will anyone really feel about that?
I just think at some point we realize that we just can't hide from this stuff....and still live normally.

I know we are already talking about the virus from a "spread" perspective...and the immediate effects on health...
...but I'm curious how people are feeling mentally about the future?

Maybe it's too soon, since right now everyone is in the initial stage of shutdown, and it's only been a week or two, depending on your location...but I'm sure already some are experiencing the effects of the imposed quarantine. What are your expectations if you imagine this will last for months...?
Do people feel like this will all pass at some point, and we'll just pick up where we were...especially if this goes on for months and months...?

I dunno...I'm feeling more down right now thinking about the effects of a prolonged shutdown...VS the risk of getting COVID-19.
I get the feeling we will be paying a huge price in the long-term...and society will be permanently changed in a bad way as to how it interacts.

A friend of mine was saying to me on the phone that he could envision a future where everyone was in some sort of protective body glove to avoid any direct contact...and while that is certainly a bit Sci-Fi at the moment...I'm truly concerned that from this point forward, anytime the WHO mentions some new virus outbreak anywhere in the world, we will all go running inside to lockdown in anticipation.

There's a reality that I think needs to be grasped...that we can't protect ourselves from everything...which appears to be a growing thought process with many of the younger generations...that government and healthcare systems are responsible for keeping us 100% safe at all times...of course, we all take many risks in our lives every day (in 2019, an estimated 38,800 people died in car crashes, and 4.4 million were seriously injured and needed medical care...that's just in the USA)... and we don't even think about them anymore because they have been around for a long time...unlike when a new risk shows up, like this virus.

I just would hate to win the battle with COVID-19...and then lose the battle for easy going lifestyles...because the "19" can become 20 or 30 or 40............

That's kinda my point too...with essential and some other services still operating, because they need to be or can be...food, infrastructure, etc...how is the virus really being contained, and these shutdowns are only going to have a marginal effect, and again...I think the virus will just run its course no matter what.
We may actually be prolonging the spread...?

Yup....true enough.....we are prolonging (delaying) the spread in terms of time. But......you have to see that the whole idea is to keep enough people out of the hospitals at one time in order to be able to treat them and have enough staff and supplies to do that. If......for instance.......500k people get this over a period of one month.......and our hospital capacity is 200k for that period of time..........then spreading out 500k cases over a couple months or more works for everyone. I know you get it.

And about the comparison with car accidents and deaths and injuries.........the government forced auto companies to install many safety items.......over many years......starting with seat belts and on and on. Do you remember how many people hated that and thought that big brother was going to make things worse? Lots and lots of lives were saved.

I don't want to see the economy shut down any more than you do. But as an older guy.......there's no vaccine for this thing. What choice do I have except to do what the government is already telling me to do? Stay where I am for a while......and do some recording.

Oh....and as for those bone head spring breakers who were down here in my backyard a couple weeks ago. There's no accounting for morons and never will be.

I got no problem with the idea of staying in for awhile...I just don't think it will be good when it's forced for months on end.
People who have concerns can make their own choice to stay in as long as it's possible for their situation...but that's the thing, how possible is it for everyone to be shut in for a very long time, and not see a very bad fallout just from that, never mind the virus.

The world hoarding due to imposed shutdowns is already starting. We not see it for awhile here in the USA, but when this stretches out...people will go out to replenish, and I think the next wave of the "hunter/gather" mentality will see even greater hoarding because the fear that we will run out of supplies will become greater the longer we are shut in.

Countries Starting to Hoard Food, Threatening Global Trade

The hell with it...I just ordered a 75" QLED TV for my new studio...might as well help the economy a bit, and at least enjoy the shutdown any way I can. :)
I was kinda surprised that I could even still get one ordered/delivered...but Electronic Express out of TN is still operating online, and even their stores are open, but with limits on how many people can be inside at one time. Anyway....free shipping and no tax...couldn't resist, and TBH, I was concerned that in another week or two, it will be impossible to get anything but bare essentials...which should be interesting, if people need to stand in line to get...so much for social distancing.

Oh...here's a link to all kinds of new COVID-19 charts and maps.

6 charts and maps that explain how COVID-19 is spreading around the world

I got no problem with the idea of staying in for awhile...I just don't think it will be good when it's forced for months on end.
People who have concerns can make their own choice to stay in as long as it's possible for their situation...but that's the thing, how possible is it for everyone to be shut in for a very long time, and not see a very bad fallout just from that, never mind the virus.

The world hoarding due to imposed shutdowns is already starting. We not see it for awhile here in the USA, but when this stretches out...people will go out to replenish, and I think the next wave of the "hunter/gather" mentality will see even greater hoarding because the fear that we will run out of supplies will become greater the longer we are shut in.

Countries Starting to Hoard Food, Threatening Global Trade

The hell with it...I just ordered a 75" QLED TV for my new studio...might as well help the economy a bit, and at least enjoy the shutdown any way I can. :)
I was kinda surprised that I could even still get one ordered/delivered...but Electronic Express out of TN is still operating online, and even their stores are open, but with limits on how many people can be inside at one time. Anyway....free shipping and no tax...couldn't resist, and TBH, I was concerned that in another week or two, it will be impossible to get anything but bare essentials...which should be interesting, if people need to stand in line to get...so much for social distancing.

Oh...here's a link to all kinds of new COVID-19 charts and maps.

6 charts and maps that explain how COVID-19 is spreading around the world

These TV prices are so good that I am tempted to buy a giant one that I don't need!

These TV prices are so good that I am tempted to buy a giant one that I don't need!

$1775 for a 75" QLED Samsung, plus a 2.1 sound bar with wireless sub, plus a heavy duty wall mount, plus no tax and free shipping.

Yeah...I couldn't resist. This SOB is going to look awesome up on the studio wall. :)

I just don't see how a couple of thousands is going to make a difference if the shutdowns turn into months...?

Does anyone recall if the Bush Era, Great Recession stimulus checks worked?

TV's...that's what the Bush era Stimulus checks went to as I recall, and with all the TV's made in China and Korea, all the US stimulus money went outside the US economy. A BestBuy manager said they make about 10% off the tv's the rest goes to China and Korea.

the Great Recession is the other Fear Topic....but in hindsight the charts don't show it as much of a big deal.

Attachments

• recession.png
    recession.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back