Music I like, what do you like??

Anita Baker has a lovely voice. I think she's racked up a few Grammys along the way, but these day's she has practically no name recognition. With the right management and producers, she might have been as well known at Diana Ross or Patty LaBelle.

Anita Baker has a lovely voice. I think she's racked up a few Grammys along the way, but these day's she has practically no name recognition. With the right management and producers, she might have been as well known at Diana Ross or Patty LaBelle.
Most black artists are used and abused and thrown away

Ah I see now... the guy Doogudder is a bit of a troll from his posts from other threads. I was just trying to have a bit of gentle self depricating banter with him when he had a sarcastic go at me ie I am gay and in prison. I am sorry for trying to be a know all. That really was not my intention. The Vapours wrote this song very tongue in cheek, that is all.
Me a troll, you got my number now. Where were you in 1999?

There are some cool talk show interviews out there where he talks about songwriting, and the process. Old school low key Dick Cavett stands out, they don't make talk shows like that anymore.

One interview (Letterman show) he talks about the incident at the NY Central Park show where a nutcase fan rushes him on stage, right as he's singing the lines from the song The Late Great Johnny Ace about hearing of John Lennon's death. He plays the song on the show, Letterman. As he is singing/playing the song (not his guitar, a Martin D35 maybe?) his 1st string high E gets hung up on a fret edge. Contrary to myth it's not the exact moment in the song where the fan had rushed him on stage at the Central Park show, but still a little odd. After commercial break he completed the song. A touching song.

Man, a lot of those guys are getting old. Pray they die natural deaths, unlike Lennon, JFK, the late great Johnny Ace.
He brought Phobie Snow to one of the shows with him. That's nerve.

Where were you in 1999?
8-) I was working hard, trying to insure that things at work would survive when the world ended on 01-01-00.

I drove to work that Saturday morning. After I rebooted and checked the computer systems I headed for the door. The lights and heat were still on, and there weren't any MadMax types at the gate, so I celebrated success with the breakfast buffet at Frisch's around 7am.

8-) I was working hard, trying to insure that things at work would survive when the world ended on 01-01-00.

I drove to work that Saturday morning. After I rebooted and checked the computer systems I headed for the door. The lights and heat were still on, and there weren't any MadMax types at the gate, so I celebrated success with the breakfast buffet at Frisch's around 7am.
Well I guess you weren't here for me to troll lol.

I'm busy doing chores this morning. The first disc of the day was

Mark Knopfler is the best!

I just love that album dude! I bought it when it first came out. Telegraph Road is a masterpiece.

Mark's influence was Chet Atkins and they play together... watch the master and pupil at work xxxx
🥰🥰😇😇😇

I just love that album dude! I bought it when it first came out. Telegraph Road is a masterpiece.

Mark's influence was Chet Atkins and they play together... watch the master and pupil at work xxxx
🥰🥰😇😇😇

I just could never get the 2 step going with my acoustic playing, just cant seperate the two step ragtime thumb playing from everything else. Its like you have to split your mind into 2 different pieces

I just could never get the 2 step going with my acoustic playing, just cant seperate the two step ragtime thumb playing from everything else. Its like you have to split your mind into 2 different pieces

This is pretty cool. Patrick and McFee playing a rag in a slack key .... open tuning in G

I'm with you. My brain doesn't operate that way

Attending a clinic with a fingerpicker, one fellow asked how he could develop the bass playing thumb technique. The guy said to spend the first week just learning to play the low E string, and nothing else. Then during the second week, add the second note. He said after doing that for a month, you'll be able to start adding in other strings!

I'm with you. My brain doesn't operate that way

Attending a clinic with a fingerpicker, one fellow asked how he could develop the bass playing thumb technique. The guy said to spend the first week just learning to play the low E string, and nothing else. Then during the second week, add the second note. He said after doing that for a month, you'll be able to start adding in other strings!
Watch when Chet does lovely sweep picking and Marks face. The Master and the pupil.

Watch when Chet does lovely sweep picking and Marks face. The Master and the pupil.
When I was younger, I never appreciated Chet, as I got older (much older and started recording) I found Chet (even though he was around my whole life) and realized how good is was. Then of course, there was the Jerry Reid, Glen Campbell, and many, many more. Too bad I was ignorant for so long.

When I was younger, I never appreciated Chet, as I got older (much older and started recording) I found Chet (even though he was around my whole life) and realized how good is was. Then of course, there was the Jerry Reid, Glen Campbell, and many, many more. Too bad I was ignorant for so long.
Its that fab two step ragtime groove, its so good. I am an accomplished player in most styles and I have good acoustic fingerpicking technique but I just can not get it! It should be so simple, just do a 2 step dum dum dum dum with your thumb on the E and A strings and let everything else flow... but it is so difficult to split your mind in 2! I dont think I will ever get it.

Its that fab two step ragtime groove, its so good. I am an accomplished player in most styles and I have good acoustic fingerpicking technique but I just can not get it! It should be so simple, just do a 2 step dum dum dum dum with your thumb on the E and A strings and let everything else flow... but it is so difficult to split your mind in 2! I dont think I will ever get it.
A good piano player does the same thing, listen to Vince Guaraldi Trio, Peanuts Theme:

Piano is playing the bass line and the lead. So simple and yet so complex. Heard this as a kid, never understood the complexity until I was much older, much older :)

This is pretty cool. Patrick and McFee playing a rag in a slack key .... open tuning in G

John McFee's destiny was always to be a Doobie Brother. He played with Huey Lewis in Clover you know? And played on the original Declan McManus demos who became Elvis Costello. Sorry for coming over as a smart arse, not my intention and yes, I should get out more 😅😅🥰

This is Robbie Williams favourite song. His dad was a singer in the Northern England working mans clubs in the 80's and took his young son along with him. Its where Robbie got his love of swing and Sinatra and great classic music from 🥰👍

Glenn met Jimmy Webb and said... Sonny get your hair cut!

Absolute perfection

Back