MIDI and my keyboard

guitar kid

I'm brand spankin' new to MIDI, so I might sound like I don't know what I'm talking about at times because, well, I don't. Anyway, my parents gave me this keyboard we've had for a few years when I started my home studio. It's the Kawai PN80. It has a few piano modes (like organ, strings, and harpsichord) and MIDI in and out jacks. Now, my question is can I buy a machine that allows me to play drum sounds, guitar sounds, etc. on the keyboard I have. If so, what are these machines called, and how much do they cost. I appreciate any responses.

Yes you can! You might want to get a synthesizer sound module. They start at around $300 new, but you could pick up a used one for around $150 - $200. A basic module would be the Alesis Nanosynth. Of course, the more sounds and effects you want, the more the module will cost. You will also need to buy a couple of midi cables to connect it to you keyboard. When you connect the module to your keyboard you will hear a combination of the sound from your keyboard and whatever sound you have dialed up on the module. If you turn the volume down on you keyboard you will only hear the module sound. Have fun!

Back