Making hip hop beat with just loops from logic.

TalismanRich

I guess this is a difference of attitude towards music. To be honest, I don't really understand the making of "beats". The thought of building music piece by piece, using stuff like clips holds no allure. That's probably why hip hop/rap music generally doesn't hold an attraction for me.

Given the option, I would rather have 3 or 4 friends over with their instruments, and play music together. Even using a drum machine or something like EZDrummer is more of a necessity rather than a preferred way to work. Does it work? Yes. Is it as much fun? Not for me.

Label me an old fuddy duddy!

LazerBeakShiek

AKA Optimus Prime LEGO Vampire
Given the option, I would rather have 3 or 4 friends over with their instruments, and play music together. Even using a drum machine or something like EZDrummer is more of a necessity rather than a preferred way to work. Does it work? Yes. Is it as much fun? Not for me.

Label me an old fuddy duddy!
Rich as you get older there is less and less time for that sort of thing. Orchestrating 4 people for a jam has got increasing difficult. 9 out a 10, one person cancels. Then what..Somethings missing. Through COVID I have stayed in touch and sent tracks back and forth to people . That way working with bits and peices and splicing them together works out. Quintessential VSTs become necessity.

If I was 18, I could totally do a rap-rock thing with triggered samples. I could even put down the guitar for a moment to do some electronica. Put on some headphones and get a collections of trippy samples..Just escape.

Last edited:

TalismanRich

Time really isn't the issue anymore. Having a drummer that lives 650 miles away, is a bigger problem. The solution would be to widen my circle of musical friends, I guess. Its just that I don't hang out at music stores anymore. It took a year and a half to get my bassist buddy to come over to check out my recording gear. That might happen more often. He had an 8 track Tascam tape setup back in the 80s. He was impressed with what's available today. Maybe he'll get a recording rig together.

In the end, it's playing the music that I enjoy, not assembling clips. As I said, it's an attitude difference.