Long Lost Music

I remember Fanny, but I didn't care as much for the songs I heard at the time, compared to someone like Heart. It's funny how one group will resonate better than another. I preferred the Bangles over the GoGo's. I preferred the Kinks, Animals and Zombies to the Rolling Stones. My brother liked the Dave Clark 5 over the Beatles.

Reactions: TAE
Fanny means different things in different countries. :unsure: just read about them and Suzi Quatro's sister was in the band at one time.

Thanks for posting brother...I posted this one a year or so back

Last edited:
Speaking of Hammond players...I may have happened into the NAMM show a smidge early on Friday and walked the show before the doors opened....It was getting close to time for the doors to open and I was at the Viscount organ booth a few amatuers were playing and I stepped in and laid down a little Lee Michaels stormy Monday shit...freaked out the owners...then I see him...OH SHIT...It's frickin Joey Defrancesco ..Tomco stops and shyly walks away and Joey steps in...damn that mother can play...

I did get to rap with him a bit

Ol Suzi was a pretty bad ass rocker back in the early 70's Got to see her at the Whiskey @ 1974 or so...she killed it..

Mother's pride was an album I bought in the 70s, but the name meant the BBC wouldn't touch them for air play. The album was nicely produced. Suzi was a great performer in those early days and she's still active on the radio now here. It really shows how the band name has to be international. A band called Vagina would just have been difficult in the US back then too.

Oh Rob you are forgetting the Punk era in the UK. We had 'The Slits', 'Stiff Little Fingers', 'The Vibrators' and I probably can't mention some of the band members names.

Suzi Quatro was around for 18 months and then forgotten except to pop up now and again a few years later. To hear her talk now you would think she 'was' rock. Not memorable by any means really.

To hear her talk now you would think she 'was' rock. Not memorable by any means really.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and all but mine stink :laughings:my ass smells like rose colored bullshit. Leather Tuscadero is one bad ass little rocker...I got to see her live when she was her peak and she did not disappoint in anyway shape or form..Her band was kick ass and she owned the stage...Hollywood dangled Happy Days in front of her and she took the bait..This idea that Rock n Roll was only for guys is BS there have always been some great women players and bands...

So back to Suzi Q the first "all girl" rock band was not Fanny it was Suzi and Patty Quatros The Pleasure Seekers established in 1964 meaning they went 9 years before Patty and Suzi parted ways and Patty joined Fanny in 1974
1654612385751.png

as far as Suzi is concerned you are right that her big fame in the U.S. as a rocker was short lived but in Europe she was popular for many more years and toured quite a bit there.

I definitely would have gone steady with her back in the day if she'd of had me...she was really cute in her black leather suit.

Another girl rocker that I really liked and actually walked right by back stage at the Forum was Nancy Wilson..I was there to see Jefferson Airplane and this new band called Heart..Had no idea she was a member of the band..dumbass me thought she was just a really cute guitar tech / roadie ( she was working on her own guitar. She looked up and smiled at me and me back at her and I just kept on a walkin...did I mention I am a dumbass? Later that night I am out there front stage and my jaw is on the floor watching she and her sister blow Jefferson starship off the stage...Holy shit could Ann sing and Nancy was a showwomen cool shit! Poor Grace who is awesome in her own right..tough act to follow....

It's funny how one group will resonate better than another. I preferred the Bangles over the GoGo's. I preferred the Kinks, Animals and Zombies to the Rolling Stones. My brother liked the Dave Clark 5 over the Beatles.
yep people are all different...as a 9 year old kid with a 17 year old sister that was a Beatles mania nut I though they were weird with their girly long hair n shit..
I dug the Smothers Brothers...Little did I know the road I was headed for...
It only took me a year or two to warm up to them...
The Bangles and The Go Go's were LA bands and the Bangles were originally called the Bangs :eek: My prog rock band actually competed in a Battle of the bands that included the Go Go's at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium...craziest, longest and most PITA gig I ever played

1654614014833.png

In the UK TAE, Suzie jumped in with Chinn/Chapman who were having hits with Sweet, Mud and others. It was 73/74 time. She appeared in biker leathers with her soon to be husband who looked like he kick started Jumbo jets compared to her, a 5ft dot. But when the Glam rock stuff finished about 75, then the Chinn/Chapman factory hits stopped as well.

She appeared later doing pop hits and duos. Odd ones out of the blue. I thought her acting career would go nowhere after she commented on the star of the show.

But today to hear her talk. Well she can really talk herself up. She was really just a 70's teeny bopper band. Not a serious rock band like Queen, Slade and others at same time.

Saying that Sweet could give it some when they wanted. Shame about all the problems they had.

I had at that period, some favourites one is now banned from even being spoken - Gary Glitter and the Glitter Band - an amazingly tight, dual drummer band and a real popular one - tarnished when Gary glitter became what a lot of people figured he was. Suzi Quatro, and her rather odd husband on guitar. She was so tiny her bass looked huge, but she rocked. we had Slade, Blackfoot Sue, and the first venue I worked at even had the Stones, Quo and the Who - Hawkweed were terrible and a little later I got to see Split End, AC/DC and Pink Floyd - plus Emerson Lake and Palmer, plus Thin Lizzy. Those were the days. My the early 80s, many, like Suzi Q were waning. Luckily, Never saw a punk band thank goodness and metal hadn't really been invented.

This from 1969 is quite a good example of who was around and how much they were - before Suzi Q, of course.

Attachments

• hiringbands.jpg
    hiringbands.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I had at that period, some favourites one is now banned from even being spoken - Gary Glitter and the Glitter Band - an amazingly tight, dual drummer band and a real popular one - tarnished when Gary glitter became what a lot of people figured he was. Suzi Quatro, and her rather odd husband on guitar. She was so tiny her bass looked huge, but she rocked. we had Slade, Blackfoot Sue, and the first venue I worked at even had the Stones, Quo and the Who - Hawkweed were terrible and a little later I got to see Split End, AC/DC and Pink Floyd - plus Emerson Lake and Palmer, plus Thin Lizzy. Those were the days. My the early 80s, many, like Suzi Q were waning. Luckily, Never saw a punk band thank goodness and metal hadn't really been invented.
We have play it loud Gary Glitter nights. The songs are still memorable even if he was a bad boy.

Last edited:

This from 1969 is quite a good example of who was around and how much they were - before Suzi Q, of course.
Man Deep Purple was a bargain! Crazy how cheap these bands played for

In 1969, £125 wasn't exactly a cheap price. The British pound was roughly $2.50 US, so that's like $300. DP was only 1 year old at that point, so you're talking Book of Talesyn era with Rod Evans. That would be about $2400 in today's value. Not terrible money for a one night gig with maybe a few hundred people. Ticket prices were probably $2-3. Now you have to pay $100 or more just to see lots of groups. Isn't inflation a wonderful thing?

There's some info on how much bands made at Woodstock. Santana got $750, Hendrix got $18000. Considering that was for a festival expecting between 50 and 100,000 people, the prices were obviously bumped up! For a small theater or club, you wouldn't get that.

1. Jimi Hendrix – $18,000
  2. Blood, Sweat and Tears – $15,000
  3. Joan Baez – $10,000
  4. Creedence Clearwater Revival – $10,000
  5. The Band – $7,500
  6. Janis Joplin – $7,500
  7. Jefferson Airplane – $7,500
  8. Sly and the Family Stone – $7,000
  9. Canned Heat – $6,500
  10. The Who – $6,250
  11. Richie Havens – $6,000
  12. Arlo Guthrie – $5,000