Lexicon vs Alesis

mikeh

I plan to buy either a Lexicon MPX100 or a Midiverb4. Looking for feedback on either unit. I know there are other and better units, but these are the two I choose to consider. In addition to any general comments you may offer, I have 2 questions.

Can the Lexicon be used as duel mono (in addition to stereo)? What does the Midiverb4 offer that my original Midiverb doesn't (other than the obvious 24 bit processing)?

I'm looking for decent vocal reverbs and a believable leslie sound as presets, I don't want to tweak alot of parameters.
Any input will be appreciated.

I own a Midiverb4. At the time I chose it over the Lexicon MPx100. I felt the Alesis had more programability. The Alesis is not a bad low cost unit, but trying to use more than one effect at time really starts to dregrade your sound. I mainly use it to for reverb in less critical situations. As far as Lexicon goes, Their high end stuff is the best, but I kind of imagine that the MPX100 is very comparable to the Midiverb4 is sound quality and processing power. I see the MPX100 has SPDIF output now plus 5.7 second delay, which the midiverb4 doesn't. I believe the max delay is 1.2 seconds on the midiverb.(??) I don't know how imprortant this is to you? I have gotten better stuff since the Alesis for more $$, but I still think it's a nice processor for the money. I might consider the Lexicon now if I was in the market. Probably it will come down to features you need more than differences is sound quality.

I'm biased...

In a prior life I owned a Alesis QuadraVerb (is that how you spell it?) I was never excited by it. Some of the settings seemed ok, I guess. It was my first reverb unit. In a short time, I started feeling that it sounded mostly like hiss. I guess that's why on my current binge I got a Lexicon (PCM91). Of course that's a wad of cash. But the sound of it-- Oh my. I've heard mixed things from folks on this board about the MPX 100 (see thread 'Lexicon bits'), but sonusman and a few others thought it sounded nice, and at the price especially. You clearly won't be able to tweak it much. Personnally, I would take anything Lexicon over Alesis-- but of course that's not quite fair since I haven't listened to any of their new units.

Back