Leonard Cohen's dead

Just read. :(

I think I'll raise a port to him and put on Anthem.
Not many artists I'd actually pause for but Leonard is certainly one of them.

Hallelujah!!

(Sorry, it's the only song of his I know. :o )

RIP fellow musician.

Hey that's one more song than I knew lol. I obviously know Hallelujah but figured it has just been around since the beginning of time itself due to how many people have covered it.

He was one of my earliest songwriter muses and it was this song that introduced me to him...He was a bad ass and continued playing right to the end..... Man.... one of our great international musical and poetic treasures.

Some of his songs below....

Suzanne

Bird on a wire

Chelsea Hotel

Last edited:
He was Canadian. ;)

LOL yikes you're right :o ....totally forgot that minor detail when I wrote the national treasure thing...he spent a lot of time living in the U.S. and surprisingly a lot of time here in Los Angeles where he passed. I'll edit to make it appropriately accurate.

I don;t quite get this. UK breakfast TV and radio playing his music, and pretty well all of it is dire? The only song that people might know could also not be pronounced by any of our TV people - who seemed to have to put "lu-lee-ya" on the end. Most younger people have never heard of him and I can understand some famous deaths - Bowie and the others - being publicised, but Cohen didn;t even make headlines here releasing his latest album - I never even heard he did it. It's sad he died, like any elderly person - but he was not a great performer, wasn't even a great writer, and in his entire career had very few true hits. Ironic that some of the people who covered the popular song were dreadful too - but even their renditions are better than his own. I wonder if the news people and programmers believe the hype. I cannot believe that when they play his output they don't look at their colleagues and do the "what the hell is this?" face.

To be truthful - I didn't even realise Hallelujah was his song. RIP - but not for inflicting some truly dire music on the world.

I don;t quite get this. UK breakfast TV and radio playing his music, and pretty well all of it is dire? The only song that people might know could also not be pronounced by any of our TV people - who seemed to have to put "lu-lee-ya" on the end. Most younger people have never heard of him and I can understand some famous deaths - Bowie and the others - being publicised, but Cohen didn;t even make headlines here releasing his latest album - I never even heard he did it. It's sad he died, like any elderly person - but he was not a great performer, wasn't even a great writer, and in his entire career had very few true hits. Ironic that some of the people who covered the popular song were dreadful too - but even their renditions are better than his own. I wonder if the news people and programmers believe the hype. I cannot believe that when they play his output they don't look at their colleagues and do the "what the hell is this?" face.

To be truthful - I didn't even realise Hallelujah was his song. RIP - but not for inflicting some truly dire music on the world.

Lol, this is a joke, right? Guy was a freakin' legend! :laughings:

Lol, this is a joke, right? Guy was a freakin' legend! :laughings:

No he was serious...Not putting you down brother Rob ...you just don't know what you don't know...

You are right he is not as well known / popular in the world as the Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, Hendrix etc....but if you were to ask any of the afforementioned ( at least the ones you still can) and most other artist / songwriters of that era...Leonard had an effect and influence on all of them...You are right most of his music is dark and down...it is also deep and meaningful...some beautiful artistry there man.

His humility and kindness when getting financially cheated / ripped off multiple times in business throughout his life speaks volumes of what a class act and truly awesome soul he was beyond the musical / lyrically gifted legend that he was.

I kinda ignored him when I was young. Badly played classical guitar, vocal range of +/- 1/2 octave. I now think he was one of the better lyricists around, and bought a GH package a few years ago to re-acquaint myself with his work.

Who's next, Gordon Lightfoot? He looks kinda like my old man when he died, and he was 88.5. Gordon is 10 years younger than that.

Back