I've been SKUNKED! Oh No!!!!!!!!

So 30 years ago I ran all my utilities underground and made a crawlspace on one side of the house where I ran the 4" conduit pipe up into the new service panel on the side of the house, I jack hammered maybe 8 inches of footing out for it. When the install was finished I just filled that area with dirt. I never for a minute thought that somehow animals would figure this out and find a way into the crawlspace. Well it took 32 years but Ol Frenchy la Pew did... I set the blink camera up yesterday focusing in on just the crawlspace area and a 4' long LED light shinning down. Bigger than shit last night @ 9 Stinky came out and went for her jaunt. I say she because it looks like she is pregnant...whew no babies yet...I hope. As soon as she was gone I went out and filled the hole where she came out with rocks bigger than she could move. She came back around 3:30 in the morning kind of sniffed around and walked away....I woke up about 4:30 and saw the video and thought I had out foxed her. I went back to sleep and got up at 6:30 thinking how I will permanently fill that area with concrete once I am sure there are no other buddies underneath the house...Took a look at the ring and there was a new video...showing her looking around and then she's gone...like disappears gone. Uh oh. I go out and that little stinker had dug under the rocks and found her way back in.

Well tonight I will fill the whole crawlspace entrance with river rock when she exits and hopefully she'll accept that the game is over, find a new place to hang. There's no way she's going to be able to get in through that area once filled. This will be ...interesting...on a side note I have to admit she is kind of a beautiful little creature sure don't want to hurt her or if there are little ones, her brood but setting up home under my house is not going to work for me or the wife.

Last edited:
Man, she's tail up cocked and ready, isnt she. Pretty, fascinating creature, but no good under the house. Maybe you could bury a small section of some wire fencing under the rock. I'd be concerned, she looks pretty determined. Maybe she has yungins under there. Of course you would not want to kill them, have that on your conscience. And they'd stink to high heaven. Sticky(stinky) situation you have there. Thanks for posting the vid. More please!

Reactions: TAE
Yeah by the looks of her belly I am surely hoping she is with children and not already had them...but yeah determined indeed...gotta love mother nature,

So the plan tonight is as soon as she exits I've made a cover for the whole crawlspace and I made it out of an old Quartz slab sample I had so there is no chewing through...she's screwed... Now I have heard several stories from friends that have seen the whole family walking along...Mom, Dad and the kids but not sure if that is the norm...Where's Pop's?

I think you need to find out what's under there. Monitor when she comes out, thoroughly block that hole, good, if only temporarily. Hope for the best, safety glasses, disposable painters spray coveralls, flashlight, take a crawl. Maybe pepper spray, Just in case, fight fire with fire. Get some, Ms Pepi! Maybe have someone standing guard, she probably won't approach until the coast is clear. You gotta see what's under there. If by chance she does get you, no kidding, I've heard tomato juice can help neutralize the smell. Have some available.

Hey, that's an idea? Once you find out if there are no babies under there, maybe partially fill with rock/stone, add a couple containers of Cayenne pepper, and fill to grade with more rock/stone. Possibly If she gets a snout full of that Cayenne she'll move on to more hospitable accomodations.

Last edited:
If there are babies under there, wow, you're in a pickle, dude. You might have to hire someone. Then the babies will be orphaned. Do rescues even take orphaned skunks?

Reactions: TAE
A quarter teaspoon of C4 might help.
Do you own a pellet rifle? If yes, load it with alloy pellets and take 'em out one at a time. Sit there all day, waiting like a cat.
A skunk once got into my boss' place one evening; his son used 3 pellets to kill it. When I drove in the next morning with the windows down I could smell it from half a mile away. He had to stay home next day trying to get rid of the scent.

I find it interesting that such a beautiful creature could produce a stench that bad. :)

If there are babies under there, wow, you're in a pickle, dude. You might have to hire someone. Then the babies will be orphaned. Do rescues even take orphaned skunks?

No shooting no stinky if I can in any way avoid it....Tonight will be interesting.

Skunks, raccoons, zebras, pandas......you just can't get on with those black'n'whites. They bring down every neighbourhood !

What's the latest?

More vid footage!
Well I thought she had blown the scene...The Blink caught here going back and forth to the hole and out but it didn't look like she was carrying babies. When I didn't see her going in and out anymore I assumed she took off for a new place.. So I went out and covered the entrance with the cover I made from a quartz slab I had so no way for her to get in...or out.... Woke up at about 4 to check no activity on the blink so I am thinking one of two things she is either split the scene or she is stuck under the house...shit... So I go move the slab so she can get in and out...@ 5:30 she slips back in damnit! So I have left it open all day and I will rinse and repeat tonight except this time once I am pretty sure she is not under the house the slab goes over the entrance and it stays till morning..If there are babies under there she is going freak out..Hell what a dilemma...don't want to kill her or potential kittens I don't know man..crazy

TAE, would you be this civil if it were rats ?
Honest question. "I'm a very curious man, Ricca."
I once went into the bathroom at work and when I closed the door the overhead light opened up a bunch of naked baby mice rained down on my head. Imagine if it were a woman! I told the floor super and he told me to go in and take care of it. I told him not my job, you do it. That was the last I heard of it.

I once went into the bathroom at work and when I closed the door the overhead light opened up a bunch of naked baby mice rained down on my head. Imagine if it were a woman! I told the floor super and he told me to go in and take care of it. I told him not my job, you do it. That was the last I heard of it.
I've heard of headlice, but headmice ? :oops:

Back