I've been SKUNKED! Oh No!!!!!!!!

TAE, would you be this civil if it were rats ?
Honest question. "I'm a very curious man, Ricca."
We actually had a Rat problem about 20 years ago and though I did kill some in the beginning it kinda bummed me out...Man those assholes made a mess of things. I purchased a "have-a 'heart" trap and captured them live one by one and then released them in a field by a lake and stream... AND Rat proofed my house and garage.... They were fruit rats and they were a problem in the area for ever because we used to be a citrus producing area. 20 years forward I have not seen a Rat in the area for a good 10 years...squirrels which we never had have come into the neighbor hood and I think they gave the rats the boot. Possums, Coyotes, Skunks and Squirrels ..The coyotes are bold these days just walk by like F you I'll do what I want. We also have wild cats in the hills near my shack just a few miles away but they never give us any trouble.. except in those rare cases.....

1685414132199.png

Last edited:
Rat proofed
I love rats......when they are in the Arctic or the heck away from me !
squirrels which we never had have come into the neighborhood
My big sister used to have a great saying about squirrels ¬> she used to say they were just rats with PR ! I wrote a song a few years back called "Squirrels" about by big sister, and I used her saying for the chorus. We're overrun with them where I live. Our local park just down the road has the fattest squirrels I've ever set eyes on. Some of them can barely jump onto a tree !

I love rats......when they are in the Arctic or the heck away from me !

My big sister used to have a great saying about squirrels ¬> she used to say they were just rats with PR ! I wrote a song a few years back called "Squirrels" about by big sister, and I used her saying for the chorus. We're overrun with them where I live. Our local park just down the road has the fattest squirrels I've ever set eyes on. Some of them can barely jump onto a tree !
1992 was the year of the suicide squirrels. There was a dead squirrel every hundred yards or so on all the back roads in upstate N.Y.

Dang! A family of skunks ( I think) burrowed their way under my 50's raised foundation house..I keep covering up the hole...they keep digging it out
Don't want to kill the little bastards and don't want to get sprayed but they can't hang there it just ain't going to workout...

I've only seen one BIG one sliding into the hole in the early morning but I am suspecting it's a whole family cause it's spring and this is what they do..

I've read they will leave in a few weeks but I am not so sure I believe that...

I placed moth balls by the entrance last night and "they" say that is supposed to make them want to get out of dodge but I guess I'll have to wait n see..

Suggestions / advice ?
I used to hate skunk smell. I'm used to it now. It doesn't bother me in the least. Though, now that pot is legal in PA (I'm fairly certain) you can't tell if it's skunk or someone stoned.

I used to hate skunk smell. I'm used to it now. It doesn't bother me in the least. Though, now that pot is legal in PA (I'm fairly certain) you can't tell if it's skunk or someone stoned.
I'm trying to work out if that was said in total innocence, or whether it's one of the greatest puns to hit Prime Time. :unsure:

1992 was the year of the suicide squirrels. There was a dead squirrel every hundred yards or so on all the back roads in upstate N.Y.
Our year of suicide squirrels was 1983 in Fairfax, Va. Our street looked like someone laid shag carpet. We had a cat the same color that didn't come home, we thought. . .

Hey @TAE , I think everyone is wondering what ever happened with your smelly company?
Guy
It turned out that the skunk had babies underneath the house. After talking with a few animal rescue places it was concluded I had 2 choices evict the skunk by trapping her and then going under the house and retrieve the babies somehow without getting sprayed in the process and relocate them...all a bit complex and daunting...or just let her do her thing and in about 6 to 8 weeks she will march out with her babies and I will close off the entrance making it impossible for her and her crew to return. we're 4 to 5 weeks in so it is just the waiting game for now. I still have the security camera catching her coming out each night to forage for food. Looking forward to that day the camera catches her going out with her babies so I can put this sage to rest.

I will post the video of their exiting once that day happens...the sooner the better....

Last edited:
It turned out that the skunk had babies underneath the house. After talking with a few animal rescue places it was concluded I had 2 choices evict the skunk by trapping her and then going under the house and retrieve the babies somehow without getting sprayed in the process and relocate them...all a bit complex and daunting...or just let her do her thing and in about 6 to 8 weeks she will march out with her babies and I will close off the entrance making it impossible for her and her crew to return. were 4 to 5 weeks in so it is just the waiting game for now. I still have the security camera catching her coming out each night to forage for food. Looking forward to that day the camera catches her going out with her babies so I can put this sage to rest.

I will post the video of their exiting once that day happens...the sooner the better....
Awesome thanks for the update. Can’t wait for the vid

Looking forward to that day the camera catches her going out with her babies so I can put this sage to rest.

Better still, let it serve as inspiration for you to finish recording that latter-day prog album you have welling up inside you....."Skunks steppin' out."
1687908593158.png

That's actually pretty cool. An adventure. You guys are like, family!

In other news, talked to a neighbor about a 1/4 mile up the road today. A bear was in her yard within the last week. I work out in the garden or yard/field and the deer just roam around. A young buck was out hanging with the females today. I threw a small apple at them, female rather than run went to see what I'd thrown. Like mice draw snakes, deer draw...bears. Oh well, I'll continue my night walks with the dogs. Man, I need to get on building that fence.

Reactions: TAE
Got some friends on quite a few acres up in the mountains.

They ALWAYS keep grapes on hand. ( for the deer) A mistake was made by once feeding them grapes. Now they expect it and show up every day.

Oh, regarding Bears? Well they’ve learned to not just walk out the front or back doors without peeking through the windows first.

Never know when a bear is on your porch.

Ahhhh, country life.

Last edited:
The deer will be 2, 3-4, up to 6-7 out back of the house while I'm out there. Unless I make a sudden move or go towards them they don't give a damn. This area needs some serious culling.

Out in the woods by the house id seen a lot of excavating. Occasionally I'd risk the ticks and chiggers, noticed one hole had more fresh dirt thrown out. Groundhog more than likely. Set the cam out by the hole one night. In that night I caught of course the groundhog, something really small and fast, could just see the eyes, mother deer with fawn, raccoon, and a beautiful fox(visited the hole multiple times). There's a pond I suppose within a quarter mile of that location, not on my property, but I snuck over there one time(probably shouldn't do that). Beautiful pond, doesn't look like anyone goes down there or evidence of access. Just a beautiful pond out in the middle of the woods. I wish I knew who to talk to, I'd love to just be able to go down there, wet a line to see if there are any fish in there, maybe take my guitar. But at night I can hear the coyote down towards that location making a hell of a racket.

I'm not really looking to make too friendly with the immediate locals. Friendly, but not too friendly. Believe it or not I'm probably too friendly of a person and wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea about coming onto the property unannounced, at will. I have a lot of stuff here to steal. Yesterday I was out doing things in the garden when I heard a familiar sound off in the distance, electric geetar, loud & distorted. Just a few chords, or whatever the hell it was supposed to be. What the heck, answer the call in the wild, I took my amp and Strat out on the side deck and let 'er rip. After a few minutes I thought I heard something and looked to see 2 young guys and a female at the end of the driveway. The female was all thumbs up and air guitar, and "yeah, rock on!", the two yungins headed up the driveway, one kid carrying a Jackson EVH model. The female sat on the front porch with the wife while the young guys and I talked guitar, and stuff. Nice kids. "Beautiful property you got here", one says. Appreciated that, but yeah, I've done a lot of work, and I have all the tools to do it...and guitars a plenty, mandolin, fiddle, dobro, amps, keys, etc. Welcoming, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea and just walk onto the property. On the positive side, one of the kids lives up the road at the house where the guy is always working on hotrods. So there's that, in case I'm ever in a pinch and need someone to do a little work on one of my vehicles. Connections, locally, I reckon it's good to have them. Would have been nice to have known someone to run a disk over my new garden plot to turn the soil rather than me tilling that virgin rocky soil. Maybe the young guy would like to make a few bucks helping me build that fence....maybe in exchange for guitar lessons! Oh man, it just hit me. Kid said he had the guitar, got frustrated and put it down, just picked it back up. They don't seem particularly wealthy. I still have both of the acoustic guitars I got with purchase strings deal. When I was young my first guitar was electric, I too got frustrated, but picked up my mother's little Yamaha acoustic and was off to the races. Maybe, maybe I'll gift one of the guitars to the kid who lives there. Kid with the Jackson was the cousin. Hm, maybe I'll slowly get to know them a little better. If I can help the kid maybe he and his cousin can jam together. Maybe they'll let the old guy up the road sit in. Maybe it's not a bad idea to get to know some of the locals a little bit better.

Got some friends on quite a few acres up in the mountains.

The ALWAYS keep grapes on hand. A mistake was made by once feeding them grapes. Now they expect it and show up every day.

Oh, regarding Bears? Well they’ve learned to not just walk out the front or back doors without peeking through the windows first.

Never know when a bear is on your porch.

Ahhhh, country life.
Paradise ;)

The deer will be 2, 3-4, up to 6-7 out back of the house while I'm out there. Unless I make a sudden move or go towards them they don't give a damn. This area needs some serious culling.
I am one of those that doesn't hunt but sure like venison... What part of these beautiful states are you living in these days Mick?

Oh yeah and about all that stuff funny how life works right?

1687958936327.png

I am one of those that doesn't hunt but sure like venison... What part of these beautiful states are you living in these days Mick?

Oh yeah and about all that stuff funny how life works right?

View attachment 130929

Virginia, central.

Yeah, Santini(sorry if I don't have the name right, head screwed on too or not tight enough at the moment) posted about that strings purchase and free cheap acoustic guitar. What the hell, I got two of 'em. Full intention of giving them away to the right recipient. Young person, interested in learning to play. Maybe if the right opportunity arises and I possibly get to know that family and kid a bit better he might get one. In a way I'm kind of itching to get em off my hands, but would rather they not just sit, but be played. In the end I won't really have any control over that, other than choosing the right recipient. Maybe I can charge him for lessons, or better yet put him to work helping out, in exchange for lessons and in that possibly keeping his interest up. I just like the idea of helping someone and in turn opening the door to the lifelong enjoyment of playing music.

Anyway, I'm sure it's sort of an uneasy situation, but pretty damn cool about your skunk family. Be sure to post the vid of the grand parade, the departure. I may have missed it, how did you determine she has young ones under there?

Back