It's a damn Spectacle!

One of my favorites, and that performance in particular. Nephew (he's a fine musician, also) and I were trading off Youtubes one night. He had heard it before, but I pulled that one up, Operator. I says, "Yeah, pretty cool and awfully nice of John Lennon to sit-in." Squinting to take a better look, he's all, "Oooh, is that John Lennon?" Heh, i'm a dick. Them boys are pickin, I think on that one they or at least Croce are using place over your fingers steel picks. I've used a thumb pick at times, but never could get used to those steel finger picks.

... :giggle: Yeah.. I think that's Maury Muehleisen with Jim.

New artists/songs allowed in this here thread?

Nephew suggested this one for a listen last night. Country music songwriting at times is built on sentimentality, At times to the point of tedium, just reaching for a tired overdone formula. Dude here at a songwriter's showcase (hoping someone will take the song into the studio to cut a record), John Morgan is taking a different approach. (You cain't build a) House on Memory Lane. I have to admit, this ones got me. The entire concept makes you think, today really is a new day, the first day for the rest of your life. Carpe diem. And for those around you, today is the first day of your relationship going forward. Don't take anything for granted, don't hold grudges. I love you guys, 🥲 LOL

... :giggle: Yeah.. I think that's Maury Muehleisen with Jim.

Yeah, I guess...I forget his name. I think I read that originally it was kind of his gig, Croce more of a support player. With time, their collective roles.....evolved.

edit: Thanks for the link, an interesting read. Wow, I hadn't realized he died in the same plane crash as Croce. Now I feel bad for being a bit flippant.

Last edited:

Nephew suggested this one for a listen last night. Country music songwriting at times is built on sentimentality, At times to the point of tedium, just reaching for a tired overdone formula. Dude here at a songwriter's showcase (hoping someone will take the song into the studio to cut a record), John Morgan is taking a different approach. (You cain't build a) House on Memory Lane. I have to admit, this ones got me. The entire concept makes you think, today really is a new day, the first day for the rest of your life. Carpe diem. And for those around you, today is the first day of your relationship going forward. Don't take anything for granted, don't hold grudges. I love you guys, 🥲 LOL

That's a nice piece of work there.

Chris Stapleton. Now hear me out before you move on. The guy is an incredible songwriter, helluva voice as well.. Nephew has a good ear and turned me onto Stapleton long before he became more well known to the general public. Quite a few popular artists have cut records written in part or in whole by Stapleton. George Strait, Edele, Kenny Chesney, that Hootie guy, Joss Stone, Blake Shelton, Allan Jackson, Tim McGraw, to name a few. I got hooked on his solo live performances, just him and his acoustic, some at songwriter showcases. I know it might not be good to get stuck in the past, time moves on. But I didn't really want to hear any of Stapleton's stuff after he became popular as an artist in his on right. Popularity and all it entails might just ruin it. Anyway...

One of the corner stones of country music is the double entendre, of sorts. A simplistic example, sleeping single in a double bed. Stapleton is a bit more clever in its use, as here....

[/i]There's a bottle on the dresser by your ring. But it's empty and right now I don't feel a thing.[/i]

Bottle empty? Ring empty? Both? "I drink because i'm lonesome, i'm lonesome because I drink"...helluva line there. Rather than try to convince you, have a listen. You might want to check your volume before you click, there's a very brief sweeping advert type thing at the beginning.

Last edited:
Another Stapleton. Broke up with your ol' lady, listening to "our song" over and over, and wondering where she is and what she is listening to.

What'er you listening to? Is it a cover band in some college town bar where there's na na nas and air guitar. Or is it, something to get you through? Is it a sad song playin' on a radio station, tears still falling hearts still breakin'? 'Cause you're hangin' on, or is it a love song, about someone new? What're you listenin' to?

ANYWAY. Again check your volume at the beginning.

Apologies for going on and on, but just to show Stapleton isn't always a sad sack. He talks a little about songwriting in the intro to the tune.

Dude is incredible. Bonafide.

Hey Mick all good...was not the intent of this thread but I totally dig where it it's went. Thanks for turning us on to the Memory lane tune...kick ass...And on Chris Stapleton...I have to admit I hardly listen to radio at all these days and when I do it's not country generally. Consequently I don't know much about Chris but these works you posted of him have me becoming a fan... Being in this country band is pretty different but we're starting to gel and making some pretty good noise being as I and the drummer are totally rock rollers. Have 3 gigs coming up in September ..

Snowman....Your mention of how These times have changed and the millennials can't relate to a phone number on a matchbook or even an Operator...how crazy is that? But your comment jogged my memory of this one which totally references the operator... I LOVE THIS TUNE and Shell Silverstein's houseboat...

Hey Mick all good...was not the intent of this thread but I totally dig where it it's went. Thanks for turning us on to the Memory lane tune...kick ass...And on Chris Stapleton...I have to admit I hardly listen to radio at all these days and when I do it's not country generally. Consequently I don't know much about Chris but these works you posted of him have me becoming a fan... Being in this country band is pretty different but we're starting to gel and making some pretty good noise being as I and the drummer are totally rock rollers. Have 3 gigs coming up in September ..

Snowman....Your mention of how These times have changed and the millennials can't relate to a phone number on a matchbook or even an Operator...how crazy is that? But your comment jogged my memory of this one which totally references the operator... I LOVE THIS TUNE and Shell Silverstein's houseboat...

That phone number scribbled on a matchbook thing: Digging in your pocket from the night before, barely legible matchbook scribble scratch written number......no name. Through the fog of the previous evening, Cheryl?..Sherrie?...Sharon?.......Dawn!?? Do you dare make the call? Ha!

Them Dr Hook boys are dangerous. Whatsay, that was recorded on a houseboat? I'd wondered about that, location. This one here I spin (youtube) fairly often. Have actually put in my own repertoire of ditties. Wife's comment? Heroine is a helluva drug.

Man I don't remember this one...but it's cool...

I like this live version better...

But this one is solid gold

Brother TAE, I get it that some people think that country music isn't their cup, or they're unfamiliar with the genre. Truth be known we've all been listening to country music since birth. I'm not talking about a lot of the bullshit these days on country radio, so called "Bro Country", but country music, people music. Be that as it may, there ain't but two kinds of music, good music and bad music.

Stapleton I haven't kept track of, I know he had a hit with Tennessee Whiskey. Sang the hell of it, and youtube is chocked full of folks attempting their own rendition. Other than those earlier solo performances just him and acoustic, fair or not, i'm not interested. That non tear jerker I posted, The Right Ones, it isn't quite the sardonic (pink floyd) Have a Cigar, but the lyrics in context are about the struggles between a songwriter/artist and the money men record executives. We should all be so cursed/lucky?

Put me on a chain
You put me in a box
You put me in a cage
And you start throwin' rocks.
I offer up my heart
I offer up my soul
You wanted me to dance
I just wanna rock n roll....

Nobody cares if the the words don't rhyme, if you say the right ones

Was supposed to be seeing a show tonight...is that a redundancy, seeing a show? Anyway. Blackberry Smoke show tonight was cancelled...or rescheduled, hopefully. These boys can rock, but they can still sing all the sad song that I know(multiple guess music reference). Who am I to prattle on, click and stay tuned for the drumber Brit to expound. :eatpopcorn:

Is this "country music"? Dobedo, acoustic version you might appreciate what the keys player brings to the party which might otherwise be drowned out by dicks with picks. :guitar:

Last edited:
No argument on Cat's in the cradle is a incredible work...Ya know who IMO is on par with his genius this guy ... It's not a competition but both of these cats wrote and performed some amazing tunes in their very tragically brief lives... Love me some Croce

You Don't Mess Around With Jim is a BEAUTIFUL album. Photographs and Memories, Operator (my favorite), Time in a Bottle. Time is a hard song to listen to, knowing he died so young. He'd have had a few more great albums in him.

There's a winery we pass on the way to where we're moving, and while Operator was playing, AJ Croce was playing in the winery. I still listen to your dad.

This song doesn't do it for me.

I like country. But, female country artists (certain ones) bring something to the norm of country that make it special. Most of the male artists sound the same. It's too formulaic. I did enjoy live Dierks Bentley opening for Miranda many times.

Rarely do I get teary eyed at a tune. But, when I went to see Miranda Lambert for the first time (it was her first solo tour) she played this, and I'm pretty sure a tear fell. Especially the line about the dog. We're moving and I hate leaving our cats buried in the back yard. It's truly a beautiful song. She didn't write it.

You Don't Mess Around With Jim is a BEAUTIFUL album. Photographs and Memories, Operator (my favorite), Time in a Bottle. Time is a hard song to listen to, knowing he died so young. He'd have had a few more great albums in him.

There's a winery we pass on the way to where we're moving, and while Operator was playing, AJ Croce was playing in the winery. I still listen to your dad.

This song doesn't do it for me.

I like country. But, female country artists (certain ones) bring something to the norm of country that make it special. Most of the male artists sound the same. It's too formulaic. I did enjoy live Dierks Bentley opening for Miranda many times.

Rarely do I get teary eyed at a tune. But, when I went to see Miranda Lambert for the first time (it was her first solo tour) she played this, and I'm pretty sure a tear fell. Especially the line about the dog. We're moving and I hate leaving our cats buried in the back yard. It's truly a beautiful song. She didn't write it.

Life can be complicated, to analyze there is no shortage of rabbit holes, freeways and byways...but...

Yeah, that's a touching song. I do like it. My nephew asked me to listen to that other song and call back to tell him what I thought. The song you posted was EXACTLY a "country" song I brought up to illustrate an example of the formulaic sentimentality in country music. The formulaic sentimentality that (you cain't build a) House on Memory Lane was perhaps rebelling against. I'm not necessarily saying as a resolution to any kind of answer in analyzing life, just as it may pertain to song writing. But even in life, though being grounded in or from the past can be helpful, roots, you can't build a future by living in the past.

Sorry about your cats. Could have chosen my words better. Haven't had a cat for quite a while, my boy Rocky was a cool dude. Have had quite a few dogs over the years. Wish I could have, but living in the city we don't quite have the real estate to lay them in the ground where they've lived and played, home. We're down to one dog since Chloe took that final ride about 3 months ago. The wife has for some time been bringing it up. I told her tonight, I just might be ready to get our boy Trampas a new friend.

Good luck on your move. I hear cats are pretty good to have around in a new place to keep pesky critters at bay.

The Miranda House song is pretty cool...I actually did that with the home I was born and lived in for the first 10 years of my life. It was for sale about 15 years ago and it was an open house. It was weird walking into a house I'd lived in. A lot of things had changed but the layout was still untouched. Looked out in that backyard and man the emotions came a screaming...

Stumbled upon this one today...I know Billie Eilish is not everyone's cup of tea...that emo thing..I like some of her stuff a lot...other stuff not so much but from the get go it was clear this girl and her brother were extremely talented "free birds".

The girl had the bug and the talent damn young..

I love this one form the merican songbook... Goes into that Amy Winehouse realm...

Stumbled upon this one today...VH live in St. Louis 6 years ago....

A lot of folks are Roth haters..I'm not because I got to watch he and VH go from doing back yard parties to becoming Van Halen.
We were'nt buds but we were acquaintances and respected each others bands back in the day. weird huh? I was lucky enough to sit down , have a drink and rap about the music business with him after opening for them December of 77. It was their last concert before their album was released. I got see the Dave you'll see in this video...a damn smart funny knucklehead...who definitely liked to drink...

Back