Is a drummer a musician?

Yeah.
The drums were the first ever musical instrument. So drummers can basically claim to have been the first musicians, the rest of us merely following the trail they blazed.
The first guy who farted could claim he played bass. They don't even play an instrument, you can beat on anything and call it a drum.
At least that is what my friend says.

The only question should be 'are they good at what they do and does it benefit the music'? Because any musician can suck at any instrument and still call themselves a musician. But when someone is good at what they do, you notice it real fucking quick. The same applies to those that do not.

Now singers, well that it juxtaposed because anyone can sing. But can they? Does that make all singers shitty? What makes a good one? Personal taste evidentially... How do they get 'musician status? And then the dime a dozen guitar players? What makes them worth a shit? Ability to play fast, or write a melody? It takes all types to make music. The word 'musician' is a generic one that covers everything from crap to genius.

No offense taken, but I have multiple decades of being either a drummer or a bass player. I can spot a shitty musician quicker than I can an internet troll hiding from their past.

I threw that out there for a friend. Not to offend any members here or people that try to hide who they are. Just sayin. :)

DW is not just my favorite type of drum... Get it? LOL

I've seen this question asked before. Seems that some people don't consider drummers musicians which to me is ridiculous. Can a drummer create music? Drums are tuned and make many different sounds so yes. Drummers in most cases lead the band and set the mood and are a huge part of the music.

I've played with shitty drummers, okay get the job done drummers, and good drummers. And...

Some drummers, hell, it's almost as if you're just along for the ride. I'm not talking over playing it, and not being a drummer it's hard to pinpoint, but it's like night and day. It gels and makes everyone else's job easier and much more enjoyable.

Yeah, I reckon a drummer is a musician as much as anyone else playing music who sucks or plays well. Seems kind of pointless to even analyze. If you are in the habit of playing music, you're a musician? Sounds reasonable.

A shit drummer and you got a shit band.
A good drummer and you now have a chance at a good band.

It was said of Charlie Watts (RIP) that he’d make any band good just by being in it.

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but a good drummer certainly is a plus......actually a necessity.

So yeah. A drummer IS a musician. A vital one at that.

Unless he’s shit, then it’s like a rope around your neck attached to a cinderblock. :LOL:

The only question should be 'are they good at what they do and does it benefit the music'? Because any musician can suck at any instrument and still call themselves a musician. But when someone is good at what they do, you notice it real fucking quick. The same applies to those that do not.

Now singers, well that it juxtaposed because anyone can sing. But can they? Does that make all singers shitty? What makes a good one? Personal taste evidentially... How do they get 'musician status? And then the dime a dozen guitar players? What makes them worth a shit? Ability to play fast, or write a melody? It takes all types to make music. The word 'musician' is a generic one that covers everything from crap to genius.

No offense taken, but I have multiple decades of being either a drummer or a bass player. I can spot a shitty musician quicker than I can an internet troll hiding from their past.

I threw that out there for a friend. Not to offend any members here or people that try to hide who they are. Just sayin. :)

DW is not just my favorite type of drum... Get it? LOL
Haha! I see what you did there Jimmy. :ROFLMAO:

If I was forming a band, a drummer would be the first musician I'd be looking for, followed by a versatile singer.

A shit drummer and you got a shit band.
A good drummer and you now have a chance at a good band.

It was said of Charlie Watts (RIP) that he’d make any band good just by being in it.

I don’t know if that’s true or not, but a good drummer certainly is a plus......actually a necessity.

So yeah. A drummer IS a musician. A vital one at that.

Unless he’s shit, then it’s like a rope around your neck attached to a cinderblock. :LOL:
Take an average player and put him in front of a good drummer and bass player and he will sound good. Bass and Drums are the foundation, the rest is window dressing.

It is a very insulting question to ask.
You try splitting your brain into 6 or 8 and playing very challanging time signatures and rhythms.....

Last edited:
It is a very insulting question to ask.
You try splitting your brain into 6 or 8 and playing very challanging time signatures and rhythms.....
I play drums, keyboards, guitar and sax, I feel your pain. I keep telling my friend, drummers are musicians but he just won't agree.

Back