I'm embarrassed to ask this, but help!

notCardio

I walk the line
I need guidance again, oh XP sages.

How the heck do I enable cookies and make it stick? I disabled them once, because I was worried about something, and now I can't seem to get them back, and it's making my life difficult. It asks every time whether or not I want to accept one, which is a pain in the behind, but the real problem is there are things it won't let me do at all, and I know that's the reason.

Thanks.

Are you using IE? If so, I think it's under tools, internet options, and privacy...you should be able to change that to not prompt.

Internet Explorer?

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab. Change the security level slider thing.

If that fails, you can also click the advanced button and check the "Override automatic cookie handling" box.

ie_cookies.gif

Or just get FireFox...

Yeah, it's IE

If I deselect 'override automatic cookie handling', what happens?

OK, how do I copy the dialog box to paste it here? (XP) :o

Internet Explorer?

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab. Change the security level slider thing.

If that fails, you can also click the advanced button and check the "Override automatic cookie handling" box.

ie_cookies.gif

Or just get FireFox...

Mine's set to Medium High. (I remember those... :D )

I tried changing to Medium-low, unchecked automatic overrride, and still no go.

What about Java?

I've already got everything that says Java selected. What else is there?

This might seem obvious, but remember to hit APPLY after making those changes.

This might seem obvious, but remember to hit APPLY after making those changes.

Yeah, did that. I'm not that dense, but I know from experience that you can't assume that. The only other thing I can think of is to set the security to low, which i'm not crazy about.

When I go through the list of web sites, it's even set to cookies enabled for what I want.

Could it be a firewall or McAfee setting?

Yeah, did that. I'm not that dense, but I know from experience that you can't assume that. The only other thing I can think of is to set the security to low, which i'm not crazy about.

When I go through the list of web sites, it's even set to cookies enabled for what I want.

Could it be a firewall or McAfee setting?

Yep....either. Check them for cookie settings...they may be blocking or asking for the prompt also.

Somebody???

Hold down the alt key and hit the "print screen" button. Then, open MSPaint and go to Edit->Paste. It should stick the window into Paint, and then you can save it off as a .bmp (big file), or .jpg (little file). Go with jpg for this, since you don't care about lost image quality when it comes to screencaps of IE windows, and the forum doesn't allow anything over... 64k I think.

Hold down the alt key and hit the "print screen" button. Then, open MSPaint and go to Edit->Paste. It should stick the window into Paint, and then you can save it off as a .bmp (big file), or .jpg (little file). Go with jpg for this, since you don't care about lost image quality when it comes to screencaps of IE windows, and the forum doesn't allow anything over... 64k I think.

Thanks! I did the alt-prt scr thing, but I thought it would just let me paste that, and when it didn't show me anything to paste, I was at a loss.

I forgot that I have to paste it into Paint and save it first. (slaps forehead)

It's been a while since I've done this. :o

Thanks again.

Don't know what you are trying to do, but sometimes the pop-up blocker will cause surprising problems. Our IT department configures our PCs with Block Popups selected, which caused problems when I tried to write mail using in the company webmail from home. Had to allow popups to make it work.

Tom

Don't know what you are trying to do, but sometimes the pop-up blocker will cause surprising problems. Our IT department configures our PCs with Block Popups selected, which caused problems when I tried to write mail using in the company webmail from home. Had to allow popups to make it work.

Tom

Really? I hadn't thought of that. The message just complains about cookies and Java, but I'll try anything at this point. Couldn't hoit.

Love the moniker, BTW.

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll let you know what finally works.

7.0 with a freakin' AOL toolbar that I wish I knew how to uninstall!

the usual method for removing a tool bar is start/settings/control panel/add remove programs.

the tool bar should show up in the list and you can choose to uninstall it there. usually.

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Open up Internet Explorer and click on:
Tools/ Internet Options/ Privacy/Click the Default tab/ Click Apply/ Click OK

That should do it.

Nicole Rose is exactly right about the AOL toolbar. YOU should be able to remove it in Control panel's "add/remove" programs tab. Do you have internet access with AOL? Most computers come branded with some type of "special" internet Explorer. :rolleyes:

Back