Illegal aliens can now get a drivers license in California Newsoms AB60

Should undocumented citizens be able to get drivers licenses?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

TAE

All you have is now
I just can't wrap my head around this...illegal is illegal right? The term illegal alien has been replaced with undocumented immigrant. Now our Cali left wingnuts have made it law that undocumented citizens can get a drivers license...WTF? Don't get me wrong in the movie a day without a Mexican they illustrate how screwed up our lives would be if we did not have a ton of these "undocumented" citizens here in the U.S. I just believe this is a left turn down a very slippery slope.

from the web.........What is an AB 60 driver’s license? Governor Brown signed AB 60 into law in 2013, which directs the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to issue a driver’s license to any California resident who is eligible, regardless of immigration status. This means that an applicant who is undocumented can receive a driver’s license under AB 60. AB 60 represents an enormous victory for the immigrant communities and for the state as a whole. Now immigrant parents can get driver’s licenses so that they can lawfully drive their children, many of them U.S. citizens, to school and to the doctor. This law is also a big win for public safety because in order to get a license, applicants will need to show proof of insurance as well as to pass a written test on driving, an actual driving test, and a vision test.

Given a "I am for this" or "I am against this" choice take the poll...just curious what the members here think about this. Post your thoughts if you are so inclined...maybe I'm missing something or my perspective can be broadened.

My knee jerk reaction is that this seems to be a bad idea. I'm not from California....although I did live in the south bay for many years in the 70's and 80's.

What happens now when they stop an illegal alien who's driving? What's the penalty? Even if caught....I assume they'll just drive w/o a license as always?What about this law encourages illegals to even get a license? I'm guessing they don't want to be "outed" right?

Illegal aliens apparently were VERY motivated to get here. I think they need to stay motivated to assimilate openly......abide by all the laws....and work towards citizenship. I don't see anything in the new law that makes any of that appealing to them.

Now...having said that....I don't think it's up to the rest of us to discard the idea that our society created laws for everyone. None of us are able think....well......I'm not doing too well and I'm somewhat deprived......so I don't think it's fair for me to have to follow the law.

2 cents worth of........let's remember that many illegal aliens left their country due to lawlessness all around them......terrible circumstances. I think we can say to them.......don't contribute to lawlessness here.......to any extent.

Mick

AB 60 driver’s licenses (DL) are for individuals who are unable to provide proof of legal presence in the United States (U.S.), but who meet California DMV requirements and are able to provide proof of identity and California residency.

Even this reads odd.

LOL looks like Orson removed his post.....and no .... I did not vote for our currently being recalled govenor... It would be so cool if he actually gets fired...recalled.. I sure wouldn't want the job of trying to get this state back on a sane track but without a doubt he is incapable of doing so and for certain is only going to make it that MUCH harder for the next powers that be to pull that hat trick off.

LOL looks like Orson removed his post.....and no .... I did not vote for our currently being recalled govenor... It would be so cool if he actually gets fired...recalled.. I sure wouldn't want the job of trying to get this state back on a sane track but without a doubt he is incapable of doing so and for certain is only going to make it that MUCH harder for the next powers that be to pull that hat trick off.
I didnt mean you TAE, I meant America.........But can't be bothered.

Reactions: TAE
Haven't you heard, using the term "illegal alien" is now hate speech. You'll be blocked on online platforms such as Twitter, the biden administration has banned use of the term, in New York city you could be fined up to 250 thousand dollars for saying "illegal alien".

Get with the program. Now that Trump is gone and biden is in office we live in a more civil society.....so shut up.

If Aliens get a drivers license, you better give way at an intersection, I would hate to see the road rage.

alien.jpg

I don't see people having the ability to drive insured as a worse thing than having them drive uninsured, if these folks are already here and driving. Seems better for all concerned, regardless of how you feel about their status. As you've stated, these folks are here and we'd be hosed without them. This way, the insurance companies get more premiums, those drivers are less likely to hit and run, and anyone in an accident with those drivers is less likely to be left holding the bag.

If I were somewhere I shouldn't be, why should I risk being found out by filling in forms with signatures, addresses, phone numbers, payment details etc. I would want to remain 'invisible' as much as possible. That way I can remain free from basically everything. Is that not logical?

Being invisible is a completely different thing than being free. I don't think that it will be universally adopted with open arms (as evidenced by this thread), and that there will be resistance from some people on both sides of the coin, but the potential benefits seem better than leaving things as they are.

Call me crazy, but I see a need for licensure. Any country on adjacent land would need drivers to deliver goods to both sides of the border. Best to be licensed in the countries you drive in.

Being invisible is a completely different thing than being free. I don't think that it will be universally adopted with open arms (as evidenced by this thread), and that there will be resistance from some people on both sides of the coin, but the potential benefits seem better than leaving things as they are.
I dont live in America so just making observations and asking questions.

So if the answer is that 'anybody' can get a license regardless, then what is the point of 'anybody' bothering to take a driving test and obtain a license legally?

I dont live in America so just making observations and asking questions.

So if the answer is that 'anybody' can get a license regardless, then what is the point of 'anybody' bothering to take a driving test and obtain a license legally?
Besides the economic advantages that I stated earlier, there are these from the OP.
"Now immigrant parents can get driver’s licenses so that they can lawfully drive their children, many of them U.S. citizens, to school and to the doctor. This law is also a big win for public safety because in order to get a license, applicants will need to show proof of insurance as well as to pass a written test on driving, an actual driving test, and a vision test."
It's a driving license. You want as many people as possible who are driving to have insurance, to know the laws well enough to pass a written and driving test, and have good enough vision to see other drivers. It's not a universal free pass, and it's better for public safety.

So are you saying these illegal aliens/undocumented people or whatever the latest term is for somebody who has entered another country illegally...........has gone and 'passed' a driving test before they are given a USA licence?

Last edited:
So they arent being 'given' a licence, they are being the 'same' as others. Which is completely different...............except they shouldnt be there?

So they arent being 'given' a licence, they are being the 'same' as others. Which is completely different...............except they shouldnt be there?
Nobody is "given" a license. In this state you need to show proof of insurance and pass written and driving tests in order to be issued a license. That's true of anyone who wants to have a driver's license here. It's the same for me as a native Californian as it is for somebody from another state or country who wants to drive here. If you want to drive here, you have demonstrate an understanding of the rules of the road, an ability to safely operate a vehicle, and to have insurance that covers liability for any damage that you may cause while driving. I don't understand why anyone would not want everyone on the road to be subject to those requirements. This bill makes it possible for more people to do so.

Back