I'll give it a try

bobbo

Well, here goes my first attempt. Its called relieve me, and its not 9GB or 9MB long, I got it down to 2MB at 64kbps using Music Match I think its called.
Any ideas for improvement? I hope this works.

[This message has been edited by bobbo (edited 01-18-2000).]

Nice job for your first time out - I like the guitar progression & the way the tracks build in the bridge/intro thing - nice vocal sound. I'd like to hear the tune at a higher bit rate though.

Damn! You listen to a lot of Blue Oyster Cult don't you!

When this tune first started I was thinking...well, I kinda thought it was going to be sorta cheesy. But that change is GREAT and vocal line kicks ass. Lots of good guitar in there too.

It's hard to say anything more because the encoding is so crappy. You should try it at 128kbps. Do a quick search via infoseek for SCMPX and check one of the first links that comes up. SCMPX is a good encoder and it's TINY.

I'd really like to hear this tune as it's supposed to be hear. Are you going to put it on the Comp CD?

Slackmaster 2000

That's a great song. Especially like the distorted guitar hook line. Sure to have that stuck in my head. Good bass playing as well. The drums are well programmed, well placed tom's and not too repetitive. - definetly increase the bit rate.

Thanks for taking a listen. I did try downloading scmpx, but when I try to open it, it reads...this file could not be found. Check filenames or install a driver that supports this type of file.
I guess I have been using that Bladeenc from ntracks to do the mp3's. Heres maybe a better sounding one at 128kbps. Its 4.1Mb.
I really do like BOC Slackmaster. I was thinking of this song for the Comp.

I think that SCMPX comes zipped up. Do you have winzip? Try www.winzip.com ...pretty much a must-have.

S8-N also told me recently about an encoder called SoHo I believe...he says it's better than SCMPX and is free (if I remember correctly). Might look into that too...but definately get something better than Blade.

Looking forward to hearing this tune at 128. Hopefully tommorow.

Slackmaster 2000

Good work bobbo... I agree with Slack in that it reminded of Blue Oyster Cult.

I thought it sonded pretty good all up - loved that that guitar hook. My only slight worry is that the distorted guitar sounded a bit muddy - I would have gone for something a bit more defined and crisper.

Good stuff!!

Great song... Great mix. The only thing that seems to be too loud is that tom tom fill which sounds like a kick drum. I would EQ the guitars a bit differently... I would add mids to the distorted guitars and drop the mids and lows of the clean guitar. Drop the highs of the distorted guitars and boost the highs on the clean guitar.
Good separation... lots going on... nice arpeggiation. Good song.

Nice tune dude! Vocals sounded great,like Slackman said at first I didnt know what to think ...then POW! I really enjoyed this tune man.

Man, I just posted my first Mp3 and now that I've listened to yours I feel very small.

Very cool.

Tucci

Thanks a lot for the advice and comments. I sure need it because I never used a mixer before and have been relying on past posts to figure out EQ and effects etc. Now that I have downloaded the lastest soundcard drivers and ntracks is working real good now, I can work on it this weekend and use some of your suggestions. That sure helps. Also, I did download winzip and it worked to unzip that scmpx encoder (I think I had winzip before, but I deleted it by accident one day). Couldn't find the SoHo one though, but will search again. So here is an scmpx 128kbps version that will hopefully be better than the bladeenc one. Thanks again for all the help.
bobbo

Is that a real bass? The reason I ask is that it's very piano/synth like, but the timing is very human...

I think that your song would benefit from some more deep end...some good lows. Especially during that killer segway riff...there's a punch in there. I love that riff...especially the way it builds from clean to one distorted guitar on the left to full-on stereo distortion. Has a power similar to Tom Sawyer.

Great song. Nice mix. I'm very impressed!

Slackmaster 2000

Man, this is good....kinda electric celtic influence, eh? Vocals, arrangement. musicianship all great...plus it has that hard to get "hum-ability"..found myself humming along to the bass line...if that thing is canned it's good, if you're playin' it, you're damn good...did I hear maybe a little bit too much reverb on the drums..or maybe that's just my speakers here...good stuff......gibs

Thats cool that you folks like it. Thanks. I think I did put a little reverb on the drums, I tried to not put too much though, and yes that is my Freddy fender precision bass. I couldn't figure out what I thought would sound best for it, so I just went direct into my mixer, along with an RNC compressor as an insert, thinking it might keep it a steady volume, maybe I should try without it? Do you think that a POD setting might make a nicer sound? I'm gonna work on some things this weekend. So anymore ideas would be great. Thanks.
bobbo

Back