If there is an afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying disorganized religion is better?

In many ways, yes! The less organized, the better.

If you go back enough years, before the days of radio and television, organized religion was a much smaller and local affair, looking after the needs of their immediate community. There weren't any "National" churches as it were, spewing out their doctrine on all manner of national affairs.

Mass media is a mixed blessing.

Cheers! :)

This is how i see it . In this sleep period we have no since of time. So when we wake up it will be instantanious into the after life. This makes me believe when someone dies they are either in heaven or hell imediately in there perception.

As far as ghost I don't know. Ghost could be the sleeping soul's sub conscious lingering around?

Actually, I think you are off your rockers...

:p

I was raised southern baptist by my grandmother but in all honestly I have never believed in god or any other form of supreme being.

Your first mistake.

My earliest thoughts on religion were that it did not make any sense.

Your second mistake.

Now move forward a few years to the day I first met my future wife.

Your third mistake.

The moment she turned around to be introduced to me I was shaken like I had a fever and a dizzy spell all at once.

In my minds eye at the exact moment I saw her face I had a vision of me reaching down from a horse to get my son that she was holding out to me. I also had images of us being togeather thru several other lives.

To say the least this shook me to the core of my being.

I have thought about this many times and I have some theories on what it was and what it means. But in the end I found my soul mate and I have never been happier.

Ok, maybe the last one wasn't. But you still need to find your way back to the original belief, I think....

:):D

How do you figure? I don't know if there is something or if there isn't something after I die because........well........I haven't died. Neither have you, or anyone else having this conversation, therefore it would be quite impossible for you or any of us to KNOW anything about the afterlife.

I could be dead. You have something against that??

And as far as your reasoning that people just don't want to think about it, well that's baloney. I've spent more time researching God, beliefs, and the afterlife than any other subject in my lifetime. I was raised in a very strict religious household, I've read the scriptures along with countless other books on the subject and I've thought about it a lot. In the end I've come to the conclusion that there is no God, no afterlife, and no soul.

With all due respect, maybe you should go back and redo your research. May as well start with something like your eye... Or maybe even an enzyme...

I believe that when I die, I go into the ground and continue the cycle of life by becoming plant food and fertilizer. The mere notion of that used to scare the crap out of me, but now I find it much more comforting than promises of paradise or threats of damnation. I'm not saying I'm right, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that this belief works for me.

You might have a valid point there if nothing completely bothers you. You just have to be honest with yourself.

Don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers. Just being honest... well... and blunt... :D

If there is anything beyond the cooling board, I will then meet my brother-in-law, who died two days ago from cancer, somewhere again, and he will have a chance to teach me the accordion and explain chord theory to me.

If there is anything beyond the cooling board, I will be reunited with my dear grandmother, the good, simple woman who raised me and gave me all the things my mother never had or could give: compassion, honesty and caring.

If there is anything beyond the cooling board, perhaps I will meet someone who can tell me why the so-called organized religions of the world so often use weapons to drive home the message of compassion.

I was born Protestant simply from where I came, I have a wife who was Maranite in the Middle East, converted to Moslem to marry her first husband, and then gave up on the distinctions and just became a believer in the best sense of the word. As in: spirit. Just spirit.

Take what you wish from this,

C.

I was raised southern baptist by my grandmother but in all honestly I have never believed in god or any other form of supreme being.
My earliest thoughts on religion were that it did not make any sense.

Heya David,

That is quite common. Many people raised in the church or synagogue never find God. It’s a personal encounter between one and God. It’s a choice no pastor, priest or rabbi can make for you.

As for me, I was raised in the Lutheran Church, but did not fully understand the foundations of my faith until I was older. I was always a philosopher type searching for the meaning of life and I took a lot of twists and turns especially through Eastern religions, which I discovered through the martial arts. I know that’s a funny way for a Lutheran kid to find Jesus, but that’s how it worked out for me. I was even a Southern Baptist for a while, but now identify with nondenominational thinking.

As many here know I am (and always have been) the quintessential, obstinate skeptic. Though I studied many religions and philosophies it was the grace of God that enabled me to hear his voice above the others.

Now, I completely understand why a sinless being (Christ) had to experience and conquer death so that I might have eternal life. I guess I am a so-called born again Christian, though I hate labels because they only foster stereotypes. To the chagrin of my conservative suit-and-tie brethren, I don’t fit well in that sort of box.

I’m far from my Lutheran upbringing, as I have a Hebrew/early Church perspective, strongly rooted in the Old Testament. I’m completely independent and would have a relationship with God if there were no churches, as we know them today.

Keep in mind early Christianity was a sect of Judaism. Mary, Jesus, Paul, Peter and many early church fathers were Jewish. (Heh, I’m sure I just put out a few burning crosses of our resident KKK members… sorry to burst your bubble, but the children of Abraham are our brothers and sisters, and we believe in the same God.) :p

Of course there are many religions, but that’s a poor reason to dismiss all of them. False teachers and counterfeits are a part of life. We have to find our way. As confusing as it can seem from a Religion-101 perspective, it’s really very simple. There are many religions and traditions, but only one creator… The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob … the God of the bible who sent his son on a mission to vanquish death, which is the one thing we could not do on our own.

This all sounds like crazy talk to the nonreligious I know, but there are none crazier and more out of touch with reality than those that put their faith in this world. Your life is passing… the whole earth is passing. To look beyond it is the only reasonable perspective, even if you’re not yet sure what that next place (if there is one) will be, or how to get there.

This life is a door to eternity. IMO, what we do here and what we discover here have everything to do with the next phase of life beyond physical death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hV0Qm-eOGg

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of drinking some near-beer with people like George Bush, Jerry Falwel, and Reverend Haggert, while dudes like Hendrix, Einstein, and Marlon Brando are cooking in the flames of Hades.

I don't like the idea of drinking some near-beer with people like George Bush, Jerry Falwel, and Reverend Haggert, while dudes like Hendrix, Einstein, and Marlon Brando are cooking in the flames of Hades.

No worries! You'll be with Hendrix, Einstein, and Marlon Brando anyway!:D

I realize this isn't really what this thread is about, but every time someone makes this point I have to ask this:

How can a person just decide to believe something? You either do or you don't. You can tell people you believe in an afterlife. You can go to church every Sunday and pretend to believe in it all. But in the end, you believe what you believe. Even if I try to convince myself it's for my own good to beleive in God and and afterlife, my logical self knows I don't, and can't, believe it. Is it enough to just act as though I believe it all?

For comparison, if millions of people told you that the moon is made of cheese, and that if you believe it - truly believe it - you will be rewarded in some significant way - could you do it?

I can't help what I believe, but if it turns out I was wrong all along, I will be eternally punished (allegedly). That's shitty. Boo, god.

No hurry, guys. You can answer this question whenever you're ready. I'll be patient.

How can a person just decide to believe something?

I would hope that a person would begin to believe something when convinced of its truth. Some might decide to conform to or adopt some religious precepts out of convenience or because there's a girl there they like, but such a decision is not believing.

I would hope that a person would begin to believe something when convinced of its truth. Some might decide to conform to or adopt some religious precepts out of convenience or because there's a girl there they like, but such a decision is not believing.
Not to be a smart ass, but doesn't the idea involve "faith" as opposed to "convincing." To be convinced, you would need evidence, and that frankly isn't gonna happen.

Either way, your answer is somewhat circular. The simple follow up response then, is "how can I become convinced?"

Not to be a smart ass, but doesn't the idea involve "faith" as opposed to "convincing." To be convinced, you would need evidence, and that frankly isn't gonna happen.

It won't happen to those who refuse to be convinced.

ah said:
Either way, your answer is somewhat circular. The simple follow up response then, is "how can I become convinced?"

Do you want to be? I am convinced; therefore I believe. I wouldn't believe what I do if I wasn't convinced.

Do you want to be? I am convinced; therefore I believe. I wouldn't believe what I do if I wasn't convinced.

Romans 10:13
For “whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

So yes, you will have to open your heart and mind to the Lord. You then will see things change in your life and that will be your evidence. You have to make the first step.

Sure I want to be convinced. I see no down side to it all being true - going to heaven sounds nice. Christmas is actually meaningful, prayers aren't a waste of time. I wouldn't be wasting money by donating to the church. I just am not convinced. It doesn't make sense to me.

Romans 10:13
For “whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

So yes, you will have to open your heart and mind to the Lord. You then will see things change in your life and that will be your evidence. You have to make the first step.

Oh I'm open. Really. I've made every effort to be convinced. I put myself in a situation to be convinced. I go to church. I listen. I sing. I chant in unison with the congregation. I've really tried to buy into it. In the end, though, I think: "That was nice. That one little story had a good message." But thats it. I am constantly reminded that the "Holy" Bible was written by humans a long time ago - in a time where the world was flat, "witches" were to be burned, and a fever could be treated with a good old fashioned blood letting.

I continue to believe that plants and dogs decompose when they die, and any afterlife they may have is in the form of nutrient cycling only. I can't see why I would be any different. And, frankly, I'm cool with that. I like the idea of feeding a plant, or even a dog or a human someday with my chemical remains. Meanwhile, I continue to try to be a good person, and leave this place better than I found it. Oh well. I guess I'll be going to hell. Really quite ashame for myself, and the millions of other good people (and dogs and trees) on this planet.

I think if you have asked Jesus to come into your life, he will not give up on you.

I grew up in a denominational church. It was more or less a social gathering. Not to put down all of these type churches, but it seems if it is a monkey see monkey do type gathering of going through the motions and doing what your parents and grandparents do. In my teen years I rebelled and did my own thing. In my early 20's I played in a rock band and did the weekend rockstar thing trying to make it big with my band. After a while I seen what the world was like. I saw the emptyness and lifestyle of what I was trying to be. I wanted to start living for somthing bigger than this rock n roll lifestyle. I picked up the Bible and started reading out of nowhere. And that's where it convinced me.

I go to a nondenominational church. It is not a stale environment. The services are switched up with different forms of music, dance, what ever for worship. There's no shouting to make people feel good. It is strictly comparing content in the Bible vs things going on in the world today. I think the only way to really get convinced though is through reading the book. I was found before I started attending a church. Not to say it couldn't happen the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back