I Have Gone To The Dark Side.

I'm thinking of getting one.

Well, before you head to the local store and pick up a plywood special, check out this place. This is the guy who sold me my banjo; he owns the guitar store across the street from where I work and he builds ukes one or two at a time. They are beautiful instruments and have a huge sound. There is a waiting list, but he will open a page on his website with pictures of the building process so you can track your instrument as he builds it. His name is Kevin Crossett and he is as straight a shooter as you will meet.

KePasa Ukuleles

PDhead200.jpg

AMfull.jpg

Well, before you head to the local store and pick up a plywood special, check out this place. This is the guy who sold me my banjo; he owns the guitar store across the street from where I work and he builds ukes one or two at a time. They are beautiful instruments and have a huge sound. There is a waiting list, but he will open a page on his website with pictures of the building process so you can track your instrument as he builds it. His name is Kevin Crossett and he is as straight a shooter as you will meet.

KePasa Ukuleles

PDhead200.jpg

AMfull.jpg

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Drool....drool.....:D

banjo.jpg

Ode was known first for accessible starter instruments and later for hand built high end instruments. It was sold to Baldwin in 1966, but the original owner couldn't stay away from the bench and later created the Ome Banjo Co. Look at the stuff they do now:

I've had the Ode for 35 years or so and it's similar to the photo but with a maple neck. The Ode designed fifth string capo is brilliant. I had a Gibson RB 180 long neck but never used it much. I teach a folk instruments class in the summer at Idyllwild Arts and it's the same one Pete Seeger taught 50 years......so naturally the long neck comes out for the occasion.

Any idea how much he gets for his ukes? Man there's some pretty instruments on that site.

LMfinal-front200.jpg

I'm not too sure, as each one has been a custom build, but a safe assumption is $ 500 - $ 600. Everything is under a thousand. For a while, at least; he's starting to get known and that will bump up demand. The last uke he built he shipped out to somebody in Great Britain.

That's something I've always wanted to do. Even in my punk rock phase, I was always drawn to the sound of the pedal steel. There's just something about that sound. :D Every so often I look at that entry level Carter (The Carter Starter) and I tell myself, "Just do it." I'm a little concerned that it might be a clunker or that I would have trouble playing it. I can play slide on my lap steel/dobro but adding pedals and knee levers makes me wonder if I'm up to the task.

The Carter Starter is a surprisingly decent quality steel at that price point. It would make a nice instrument to decide if you wanted to take it further. You would definitely want to move up if you stuck with it.

There was a handful (2 or 3) other "beginner" steels back in the '70's, Shobud made one, so did MSA etc., but they were total pieces of dook. Inexpensive instruments of that ilk suffered really bad from body drop, basically bowing the body downward when the floor pedals were pushed down. Impossible to play with any degree of intonation. The bodies were generally made out of particle board. The little Carter is heads above these older student models..

There several things to consider when playing pedal steel.

1. The strings don't all tune to 440. Some go 438.5, 441 etc. You need a decent tuner, preferably with a needle, not lights.

2. The pedals all have to be tuned as well as the strings. Again these tunings will be odd.

3. Both hands, both feet and both knees all working together. No small feat. I always liked to say it's, "it's like wrasslin' a mechanical octopus.".:D

4. A sense of intonation is paramount!!!!! My old saying is, "No steel (or fiddle) player is better than a bad steel (fiddle) player.

At the top of my game I was a session player in Nashville for 8 years and played on many projects for people I'm sure you may have heard of.

I say go for it dood! If you ever develop a mastery of it, you will walk tall among mere mortals, wimmen will fall at your feet and babies will stop crying when you play!!! And...you will have all of the work you can handle!!!!

The Carter Starter is a surprisingly decent quality steel at that price point. It would make a nice instrument to decide if you wanted to take it further. You would definitely want to move up if you stuck with it.

There was a handful (2 or 3) other "beginner" steels back in the '70's, Shobud made one, so did MSA etc., but they were total pieces of dook. Inexpensive instruments of that ilk suffered really bad from body drop, basically bowing the body downward when the floor pedals were pushed down. Impossible to play with any degree of intonation. The bodies were generally made out of particle board. The little Carter is heads above these older student models..

There several things to consider when playing pedal steel.

1. The strings don't all tune to 440. Some go 438.5, 441 etc. You need a decent tuner, preferably with a needle, not lights.

2. The pedals all have to be tuned as well as the strings. Again these tunings will be odd.

3. Both hands, both feet and both knees all working together. No small feat. I always liked to say it's, "it's like wrasslin' a mechanical octopus.".:D

4. A sense of intonation is paramount!!!!! My old saying is, "No steel (or fiddle) player is better than a bad steel (fiddle) player.

At the top of my game I was a session player in Nashville for 8 years and played on many projects for people I'm sure you may have heard of.

I say go for it dood! If you ever develop a mastery of it, you will walk tall among mere mortals, wimmen will fall at your feet and babies will stop crying when you play!!! And...you will have all of the work you can handle!!!!

Yikes, now even even more afraid. :eek: Maybe I should just take the chicken's way out and buy some steel guitar loops. :eek:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...re-Pedal-Steel-Guitar?sku=701845&src=3SOSWXXA

Back