How is your financial portfolio?

I have lost over $75,000 so far this year.
I predict to keep loosing through the mid-terms when the Puglyans retake the Senate.
I still have faith in American greed.
Just a blip in the overall picture.
Glad to still be able to earn money though. Probably be freaking out if all I had was retired money to bank on. Or too cheap to spend my own money.

I've lost less than I did back in 2009. Yeah it's tough watching things go down, but I'm still positive to where I was when I retired 4 years ago. Between Covid, Ukraine and the inflation jump (which I really expected after the free money the government gave out), I can't say I'm surprised. Give it 2 years, and I'm guessing things will be going the other way. You can't expect 20+% gains every year.

Ha! I'd like to have what you've lost! I have three very small investments and they pay peanuts, and I'm planning to carry on working as long as I can, then sell our big house and use the proceeds of downsizing to live on, because things are crazy now - the fuel prices have made me switch off my studio computers for the first time in fifteen years of never bothering. I'm now paying (in US money) nearly 300 a month just for electricity and gas. It's also common here parents near retirement to still be supporting their kids and grandkids - property prices are so silly, mortgages so high that many people have simply spent their old investments and pension funds! My son is very close to the edge finance wise, but in his late 30's should he not be thinking of being independent? They just can't afford it.

I've lost less than I did back in 2009. Yeah it's tough watching things go down, but I'm still positive to where I was when I retired 4 years ago. Between Covid, Ukraine and the inflation jump (which I really expected after the free money the government gave out), I can't say I'm surprised. Give it 2 years, and I'm guessing things will be going the other way. You can't expect 20+% gains every year.
Yes 09 was very scary. My Dad got sick in 08 and I was so preoccupied with his welfare that I never checked on my account. Then when I finally did. 😫
But it came back strong.

I did get a bit of a chuckle recently when I heard someone comment that nobody will be able to afford a house with a 5% interest rate.

When my ex and I bought the house I'm in, we locked in an astoundingly cheap 10.5% interest rate! I knew friends who locked in 12% rates. We refinanced twice, getting down to 8.75 and then 7.5%. After the divorce, I managed to refinance at 6 7/8%. It was like stealing money! I cut the mortgage payment on a quick refi cost for $100. I think the payment went down something like $45 a month, so it paid for itself in a couple of months. The house has been paid off for over 10 years. The problem is that every time the city reassesses property, my taxes go up. It's like having a mortgage again, except the balance is going up every 2 or 3 years!

It could be worse, I guess. Someone just won the Powerball lottery. Taking the cash option would give you 283 million, but between the 37% fed tax and the 3% Arizona state tax, figure they'll take 113 million, leaving you with a paltry $170 million. Yeah, like someone could get by on THAT, unless you're good at budgeting. They'll be bankrupt in under 5 years.

💰💲💵

I don't even look - not like I'm going to do anything about it except let it ride. On "fixed incomes" now so pretty conservatively spread and took out the first required RMD in January, with a little extra for some necessary home maintenance, so 2022 should be covered. In retrospect, it would have been nice if we'd pulled out enough for 2 years, but "hindsight" and all that... Likely be some re-balancing before the year is out, but I'll leave that to mid-year and try to avert my eyes from the bottom line. Come January and 2023 RMD reality will be forced upon us. No point in trying to crystal-ball this.

always seems to me all the "experts" talking heads miss every major crash, and rebound, ... then so many will take credit and offer bs advice.

My experience is with the Do Nothing plan...I'll stay where I am through the financial -storm, Ill cut out more food and entertainment because the house payment will increase again. I'll turn the Air Conditioner off more and more and travel and shopping will remain zero. The house is the thing. Its not a good time to do anything, the Do Nothing Plan works for me. Its too late to refi or move money out to somewhere else....the Experts are supposed to do that BEFORE the Loss, not after! lol

Northwest and California Money-Men, moving to Texas, Arizona and Colorado...
Been strange recently, I see the new neighbors moving in and think ":wow they just paid $500k for a 30yr old house that was cheap tract home $100k in 1994?" Theres like 3 or 4 of us original settlers here, getting old, dying off.
A lot of low paying jobs have jumped from $7 hr to $15-$18, because they cant afford their apartments working $7 hr and quit and move home. No one wants to move home it seems, but they cant afford when the Corporate Landlord raises the lease from $800 month to $1800month... so the companys come here, and soon are paying California prices all over again? lol... Supply and Demand...the builders are booked up backlogged 8months to a year.
So yeah...Landlords are making a fortune by tripling rent prices! for the new comers.

the portfolio....one talking head said its to be expected, inflation followed by recession, its happened over and over and over, the cycle of the economy...like the cycle of the weather.

best of luck to everyone. maybe write some Recession Songs? the COVID songs are out of fad now...move it on over...Recession Dog is moving in!

I lost 30% back in 09, and that was the year I retired. :oops: So I laugh in the face of this measley (for me) minus 10%.

I have lost over $75,000 so far this year.
I predict to keep loosing through the mid-terms when the Puglyans retake the Senate.
I still have faith in American greed.
Just a blip in the overall picture.
Glad to still be able to earn money though. Probably be freaking out if all I had was retired money to bank on. Or too cheap to spend my own money.
If I wanted to kill the economy, I would do about everything Biden has done.
The "build back better bill" is a payback plan for democrat donors.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hunter gets a few paving contracts, though he thinks asphalt is a bowel malfunction.
Just sayin.

I like Messier for the Derby, but don't have anything on it. Had my normal Sat morning golf group, hit the grocery and ready to watch the races the rest of the day. Nobody I knew was doing a Derby Party this year.

So Manslick, was that you walking arm in arm with Taylor Dayne at the Barnstable Brown Gala? Pics or it didn't happen! 😁

Back