Great and Lame album titles

I remember the White Album original cover was like a trippy drawing. Sorta like The Beach Boys‘ Endless Summer album. I thought it looked cool.
Sorry, the Yesterday and Today original cover was the one I was thinking of:

Attachments

• il_1140xN.2875084477_928x.jpg
    il_1140xN.2875084477_928x.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 1
We'd forgive you. The bats might not !

I wonder how those die hard Slade fans would feel about that. I'd not heard of that title but it's a good one.

:ROFLMAO:

Good title though. Family beat them to it and I have to say, the album is even better than the title.
Dave Hill will take any publicity he can get... I read he's still out there, pretending to be Slade.

During Status Quo's heyday, a great album title that they should have used and missed a great trick by not doing so was "As the Quo flies." I vaguely recall reading that Elton John suggested that one to them !

Dave Hill will take any publicity he can get... I read he's still out there, pretending to be Slade.
Perhaps no choice? In a way I kind of feel sorry for him. When you are a star of the group but do not write the songs, your money ends the day the public fancy something else.

Bad Manners with 'Loonee Tunes' ........... Was this inspired by a popular lager at the time? I remember having a few one night for the first time. Powerful stuff.

Rupee Edwards with 'Ire Feelings' ......... No doubt inspired by something also.

UB40 with 'Signing Off' ............ You had to be there at the time to understand. Very apt. But I just looked on Wiki and even that is skewed.

Last edited:
In a way I kind of feel sorry for him. When you are a star of the group but do not write the songs, your money ends the day the public fancy something else.
he was one of the stars of the band, but Noddy Holder was always the main man in pretty much most peoples' minds. His was the voice, his was the presence and he co~wrote most of the songs. I'd bet that if you said "Slade" to most people that were kids and teens at the time of their heyday, the first image that would come into the mind would be Noddy rather than Dave.
That said, we all loved Dave even if we thought he looked like Dylan from "The Magic Roundabout."1618482064327.png
UB40 with 'Signing Off' ............ You had to be there at the time to understand. Very apt.
Ah yes, for all of us that were one of Maggie's 3 million at some point, that is a most apt album title. I think it's one of the greats but it's so very "early 80s British."

he was one of the stars of the band, but Noddy Holder was always the main man in pretty much most peoples' minds. His was the voice, his was the presence and he co~wrote most of the songs. I'd bet that if you said "Slade" to most people that were kids and teens at the time of their heyday, the first image that would come into the mind would be Noddy rather than Dave.
That said, we all loved Dave even if we thought he looked like Dylan from "The Magic Roundabout."View attachment 109457

Ah yes, for all of us that were one of Maggie's 3 million at some point, that is a most apt album title. I think it's one of the greats but it's so very "early 80s British."
But thats the point. It wasnt her fault. The economic strife was caused by the previous crowd. A point always glossed over because she was easy to blame and not a likable person.

Regards Dave. I think there was a quote something like...."You write em and I'll sell em"........ credited to him. Which is kind of true in a way as Slade were kind of a teeny band as well and it may be hard to believe today but he was the heart throb.

Actually Apple's 2nd album was titled "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right".

That's a mouthful!
Most of the time long titles are just an irritation but there are two I really like. One is Tyrannosaurus Rex's debut, "My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows" ~ I've always dug that one. I actually have used that as the opening lines of a lyric for a song of mine called "Left unspoken." The album cover for it is also glorious.1618523122722.png
It was designed by the guy that punched David Bowie and caused one of his eyes to change colour.
The other long one I like is from an obscure Dutch band called Whitsuntide Easter. Its called "Next Time You Play A Wrong Note ... Make It A Short One" which isn't really that long but it's longer than "Status Quo Live" !
But thats the point. It wasnt her fault
I never said it was. But she was PM when it reached that total, hence the phrase "Maggie's 3 million." It's a fact of history, not an apportioning of blame.
That said, there's often been a trade off between inflation and unemployment and the first Thatcher govt had a monomania about getting inflation down and saw the high unemployment as worth it to achieve their aim. Different opinions will always rage about the merits of that ~ it depends on which side of the bank one found oneself during it.

Regards Dave. I think there was a quote something like...."You write em and I'll sell em"........ credited to him. Which is kind of true in a way as Slade were kind of a teeny band as well and it may be hard to believe today but he was the heart throb.
He was the heart throb {and Don Powell} ~ it's hard to imagine 9~13 year olds of any era getting wet about Noddy Holder. But Slade did have a fan base that went beyond teenybop girls.

I never said it was. But she was PM when it reached that total, hence the phrase "Maggie's 3 million." It's a fact of history, not an apportioning of blame.
That said, there's often been a trade off between inflation and unemployment and the first Thatcher govt had a monomania about getting inflation down and saw the high unemployment as worth it to achieve their aim. Different opinions will always rage about the merits of that ~ it depends on which side of the bank one found oneself during it.

I was one of the 10%. At times I had a lot of fun not working and soon discovered how to get work.
He was the heart throb {and Don Powell} ~ it's hard to imagine 9~13 year olds of any era getting wet about Noddy Holder. But Slade did have a fan base that went beyond teenybop girls.
True he was more like a screaming farmer with those bushy sideburns than a rock star. Saying that they were quite a good rock band but never got the credit for it and will be forever 'Glamrock'.

Sweet were very similar. Chinn & Chapman all the way but could certainly rock with the best of them at that time.

Sparks ..... 'Kimono My House'. I remember nobody at the time admitting they had this album because it was so off the wall. A band or duo who were not afraid to do their own thing. Again the title is just nothing.

'This Town Aint Big Enough For Both Of Us' - A strong environmental song which just shows that nothing actually has changed in nearly 50 years and the 'real' cause of the problem.
'Amateur Hour' - Very apt for me back in the summer of 1974.

Sparks ..... 'Kimono My House'.
I always liked that title. About 30 years after I heard it, I read that it was a play on the phrase "Come over [to] my house."

At times I had a lot of fun not working
Same here. I can't say I was ever on a downer not having a job.
True he was more like a screaming farmer with those bushy sideburns than a rock star
Good comparison. I can see him in wellies milking a few cows and mucking out a stable or two !
Saying that they were quite a good rock band but never got the credit for it and will be forever 'Glamrock'
I thought they were one of the best outfits of the 70s. They could rock heavy and hard and yet had a wonderful melodic flair and knew how to write songs that were just the right length, had just the right dexterity and were eternally memorable.
Sweet were very similar. Chinn & Chapman all the way but could certainly rock with the best of them at that time.
The first single I ever owned was "Blockbuster" by them. They were a heavy rock band at heart but were "persuaded to join" rather than jumped on the glam rock bandwagon. I saw this documentary some years ago on the 70s and this woman was comparing them to David Bowie and Marc Bolan. She said that they were so pretty and fey in their make up and glitter but the Sweet were like hod carriers ! I always laugh at that one.
While I don't think they were as complete as Slade, they were still a fantastic band.

'The Hoople'...........An obvious title if you are from the UK and sadly of a certain age. This was quite a pathetic title of an album which followed on from the previous album called 'Mott'. It was from the band 'Mott The Hoople' who were pure 'Glam Rock'. Does anybody know what Mott the Hoople means?

They split after this but this album had the hits .... 'The Golden Age Of Rock & Roll' and 'Roll Away The Stone' which actually featured a girl band who were with them called 'Thunder Thighs' which may grab your attention for a second.

So all the Americans here think 'Who?..... What?'. ..................... Well Mott the Hoople worked with David Bowie and featured his guitarist who never got the credit he deserved 'Mick Ronson' who earlier mastered the 'Spiders from Mars' sound on 'Ziggy Stardust' Bowies hits.

Mott the Hoople fronted by Ian Hunter who at the time if you had to describe a rock star was the perfect image of one back then along with a cockney accent. He is still touring today when allowed (covid) and is now coming up to 82 years of age. He doesn't look all that different either from the early 1970's.

Mott the Hoople were responsible for Queen who they took on tour with them back in the day and the rest is history and Ian Hunter used to tour the USA quite often until recently.

Thunder Thighs an all female trio backing singers group had a few hits and lasted a few years but an old film appeared on Youtube with them visiting the old Rockfield Studios back in 1974 where Queen produced 'A Night At The Opera'. How it was regarded as a 'Rock music studio is a mystery after seeing this film.

Mott The Hoople ...(who? all the younger ones say) are one of those bands that open up a chasm into the rock and music industry of that time. Not only do you get Ian Hunter, Queen, David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Ariel Bender (what a great name), Mick Ralphs (Bad Company), Lynsey De Paul.. But also lesser known people who were responsible in part for lots of other songs you will of heard. Two girls called Sue Glover and Sonny Leslie who did lots of singing on hit songs under different names.

Who actually sings on hit songs is very interesting when you start digging and digging.

Some of my favorites in no particular order:

I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
The Parable of Arable Land
God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail With It
The Moray Eels Eat the Holy Modal Rounders
What a Bunch of Sweeties
Songs for Swinging Larvae
I Often Dream of Trains
Ship Arriving Too Late to Save A Drowning Witch
Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine
(trans. Eleven Dances to Fight the Migraine)
The Evening Visits… and Stays For Years
You Can’t Hide Your Love Forever
Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express
#1 Record
Twelve Inches of Snow
(a BRILLIANT triple entendre)
Evol
Double Bummer
Before and After Science
Their Satanic Majesties Second Request
Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere
Thank Christ for the Bomb
Locust Abortion Technician
Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
The Charm of the Highway Strip
Tanith and the Lion Tree
And the Weathermen Shrugged Their Shoulders
Zoo Psychology
Music for Sick Queers
Space Mantra
Interbabe Concern
How Can You Be In Two Places at Once When You’re Really Not Anywhere At All
Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow
Join Hands
Hail to the Thief
Camembert Electrique
Ruth is Stranger Than Richard
Good Taste is Timeless
Someday My Blues Will Cover the Earth
Be Glad for the Song Has No Ending
Desperate Straights
Three of a Perfect Pair
Hell Bent for Leather
Physical Graffiti
Requiem for an Almost Lady
Songs From a Room
Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things
Will They Turn You On Or Will They Turn On You?
Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
The Nation of Ulysses Plays Pretty for Baby
The Marble Index
Beggars Banquet
Pretzel Logic
Fear of Music
My People Were Fair and Had Stars in Their Hair
Under the Big Black Sun

Back