Good songwriter anomalies

Ron Galicia

So I admitted that I suck at writing lyrics and it appears that I'm not alone here. To try to make myself feel better I was trying to think of examples of crappy lyrics from normally good songwriters.

I couldn't think of any. Shows you how much I suck if I can't even identify crap lyrics.

Blah.

I love that song - probably because of Garfunkel's performance of it though.

"Band on the Run" Paul McCartney. The lyrics don't impress me although I sort of like the song. Paul's never had a reputation for being a great lyricist - but he's better than me and he's my favorite.

Tucci

Geggy Tah:
"All I want to do is thank you...
Even though I don't know who you are
You let me change lanes
While I was driving in my car"
.....(Get off the road... dork!)

Robert Palmer:
"I'm sorry ba-by, I didn't mean to turn you on"
.....(Yeah, sure you didn't)

Melissa Etheridge:
"You looked like father,
You felt like mother"
......(Italian dike with a mustache?)

I guess the IPS got to the rest of 'em bad lyrics. I mean, anyone can get me some gawd-awful Dylan or Cohen (in reference to another thread) will have my life-long gratitude. Truth is, the IPS gets to all of it before long. What is the IPS?

Image Protection Syndrome

It has a niche in each of our brains which makes us delete any memory of bad material by great writers. Y'know, like selective memories of our own past lives. Remembering the good stuff is our only defense against cynicism. And so, Micheal Jordan never missed a clutch shot, Jerry Seinfeld never told a bad joke and Bob Dylan never wrote a bad lyric...

Yellow submarine!
All the songs from the titanic soundtrack!
All the "yeah Babies" in rap songs!
"Oh Yeah do it to me" etc etc etc. There is so much crapp out there that everyone that comes to these pages should wonder: "Why the f--k am I not a star yet?!?"
I have heard better lyrics at underground battle of the bands than on the top forty. Be sincere and honest and the lyrics will be good.
Just my humble oppinion, I will go now, sorry, bye.

The French have a saying:"Les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas." Literal English:"Tastes and colors can't be discussed." I think Death by Chocolate ice cream is better than Vanilla,anyone care to prove me wrong?Cheers!

VR

HUH?? :confused:

Sure tastes can be discussed - you can say, "This stuff tastes like shit!!!!" to describe something that tastes really bad, or, "This is some good shit" to describe something that tastes really good. See how it works?? :)

mutt

What about the Beatles???

id like to be
under the sea
in an octopus' garden
in the shade

we would be warm
below the storm
the coral, that lies
beneath the wave (beaneth the ocean wave)

oh what joy,
to every girl and boy
knowing that their happy
and their safe'

whats going on there???

<I was trying to think of examples of crappy lyrics from normally good songwriters.>

Here we go again.

"The Tin Man"

"A Horse With No Name"

I think Neil Young had a song in 1987 called "T-bone and Mashed Potatos", in which he recited that phase maybe 100 times over and over through the course of the song... not another phase... go figure. (Actually I think he was having a tiff with his record company at the time and that was his way to get back at them)!!

Ben www.mp3.com/benwalter

Hello Mutt,The Point,of course is that songs,lyrics,ice cream,movies,it's all subjective stuff.You can discuss it all day long,but it remains one man's opinion.Some people have better things to do....

Back