Gardens

Does anyone have a green thumb, or try to grow their own,,,,?
I have had very good luck with container gardens.
Tomatos really do well in 5 gallon buckets, Gukes do well in those window boxes, and peppers too.
Anyone with some other knowledge, ?
S

The perennials keep coming. It was too dry for a garden. My peppers didn't turn out. Last year they weren't even that hot.

I like it, but not any time.

Strawberries do ok in a box. They come back every year for a little produce. I did Raspberry bushes behind the shed and Blueberries too. They grow like crazy.

Depending where you are at, its apple juice season. Cider.

Freeze a couple bushels of apples. Let them thaw to liquify their insides. Then make a smasher out of wood and a 4x4". They crush so easy and there is no chunks. Strain.

Then place in mason jar with cheese cloth over it, and 2 tablespoons of sugar to speed fermentation. Wait 3-4 weeks or more.

It wont taste like anything you ever had before from the store. So good. Alcohol made not propagated from artificial yeast but sugar and natural formed yeasts after.

Last edited:
Depending where you are at, its apple juice season. Cider.

Freeze a couple bushels of apples. Let them thaw to liquify their insides. Then make a smasher out of wood and a 4x4". They crush so easy and there is no chunks. Strain.

Then place in mason jar with cheese cloth over it, and 2 tablespoons of sugar to speed fermentation. Wait 3-4 weeks or more.

It wont taste like anything you ever had before from the store. So good. Alcohol made not propagated from artificial yeast but sugar and natural formed yeasts after.
Beaky in the UK in one part there is a drink called 'Scrumpy'. This is apples and 'other' substances made into cider. But it isnt the clear fizzy kind. It is cloudy and very strong with other properties and sometimes nicknamed 'rot gut'.

So I am told they favour the windfall apples off the ground which are brown marked from bruising. Apparently these contain the natural yeasts to start the fermentation.

There are stories of 'all sorts' ending up in the cider as it is a rough cider and probably only filtered through hessian sacking or whatever was available. Most possibly an old used potato sack.

I have never tasted it but have seen it in the glass. It was like soup and the man who drank it was well sozzled.

Last edited:
Beacky in the UK in one part there is a drink called 'Scrumpy'.
That sound nasty.

I strain it 2-3 times at least. The secret was to freeze them. The Jagged crystallization of the trapped water in the 'structure meat' of the apple, destroys its constitution. Thawed, the apples are mush balls. Make a smasher and enjoy.

The Hard Cider part is not required. If you do, it is worth NOT using any Yeast packets. Use sugar instead.

You got to let it settle. Particles end up on the bottom. Strain. Repeat. Until it's transparent with an amber hue.

Last edited:
Back